new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (7 Viewers)

ah here, it's all hypothetical, and as such, utterly groundless. except, what big players has he worked with? can you name one? i think that in itself says a lot. he got celtic at a great time, when rangers were almost bankrupt and walter smith had left. it was perfect. he made celtic obdurate and dour, like a wrecking ball, with bog standard prem players. bog. standard. villa aren't much better. they're summed up for me by their performances against man u last season when they were utterly, utterly gormless. i don't think bringing a manager that's made below average teams perform a bit better is the way forward. i'd love to see o'neill at a big club, to test my thesis, just not liverpool, thanks.

He invented Henrik Larsson Superstar.

Question.

Thinking of heading over to see the Newcastle game on May 2

Flights on Ryanair (spit) are about €135. Arrive morning, depart evening. Grand.

I was told that I'd have no problem picking up a ticket on Walton Breck Road on the day of the game.
Has that been anyone's experience here?
Sound alright like?

Let the slagging begin. The most terribly dispirited performance of the season. I mean - Middlesborough, for fuck sake. Just pathetic. It's down to an old fashioned battle for one of the automatic Champions League place now. I reckon United will be champions by 15-18 points in the end now.

Rafa out.

I think we're seeing the effect of starting our strongest side in the the first half of the season as opposed to a bit more rotation. More injuries and more tired players. We're normally better after xmas but this year we are worse. Also where the feck was agger today? If we lose that lad it will be a massive mistake.

Also where the feck was agger today? If we lose that lad it will be a massive mistake.

He's injured, should be back soon though. Anyway fuck middlesbrough, shit team who'll never achieve anything apart from a couple of good results against the big sides each year. Shit stadium, shit fans !bog Can't believe how crap we looked all game though. We'll never beat anyone playin like that. We're utterly fucked without torres. Even though we only play with one up front there still was no-one filling the centre forward role. Kuyt wasn't getting in the box regularly enough he kept drifting all over the place, and el zhar just isn't good enough to be starting games. Ball of shite. Would have liked to have seen gerrard play up front, might have actually put away one of those chances today although it was him creating them for the most part. Such a great chance to narrow the gap with utd before we play then, fucked now. Bollox.

bet ye he didnt mean that though...bet aiden mcgeadys lover (ie cormcolash) just forgot completely due to the amount of drugs and booze hes on.

I did mean what was previously alluded at, when Larsson was at Celtic all you'd ever hear from the Premiership supporters was "Never played in England must be bollocks blah blah blah", it took two assists in the Champions League final and a loan to Manure to get them to shut the fuck up!

P.S Benitez for King

The way utd are playing I didn't really think we had a chance of overhauling them but i'm really pissed off we're not giving them a decent run for it

I've calmed down a bit since yesterday, so I'll retract my Rafa out knee jerk. He didn't miss that cut back from Gerrard at the start of the second half. The player's performances were shite yesterday, all of them no excuses. It didn't help that Gerrard was so ropey and no Nando, but still. Middlesborough are getting a lot of plaudits in the papers but had we taken our chances and not scored the own goal they could have been three nil down at halftime. SO frustrating. The players heads went down badly yesterday, and that may or may not be Rafa's fault. What I will give out about regarding Benitez was making Skrtel play right back instead of Carragher. Mad idea. Also dropping Benny. He's been one of our most consistent and inventive players, and despite my optimism El Zhar and Babel were awful in their positions.

The contrast of the results and performances this week are just painful. Like Silver Surfer said, we knew it was over bar the shouting but I was just hoping we'd make Man U have to fight just a little bit for it. I am DREADING the Old Trafford game now.

'Sigh'onara.

What i'm most pissed off about is for the first time in years we've been able to get the required results against the big teams and its ended up counting for nothing cos of our inability to beat teams we're far better than. They'll probably beat utd now when its too late to get anywhere near them.

I've calmed down a bit since yesterday, so I'll retract my Rafa out knee jerk. He didn't miss that cut back from Gerrard at the start of the second half. The player's performances were shite yesterday, all of them no excuses. It didn't help that Gerrard was so ropey and no Nando, but still. Middlesborough are getting a lot of plaudits in the papers but had we taken our chances and not scored the own goal they could have been three nil down at halftime. SO frustrating. The players heads went down badly yesterday, and that may or may not be Rafa's fault. What I will give out about regarding Benitez was making Skrtel play right back instead of Carragher. Mad idea. Also dropping Benny. He's been one of our most consistent and inventive players, and despite my optimism El Zhar and Babel were awful in their positions.

The contrast of the results and performances this week are just painful. Like Silver Surfer said, we knew it was over bar the shouting but I was just hoping we'd make Man U have to fight just a little bit for it. I am DREADING the Old Trafford game now.

'Sigh'onara.

it's benitez's fault that el zhar was playing. it's his fault that we only have one striker who can play in the box. sell keane, fine, but do it while there's time to replace him. he's the one who picks the team and tells them how to play. it's his fault kuyt was playing up front and dropping off. every time he does that it gives the other team a spare centre back to mop everything up. that's why we don't score anything and why we can't break. it's completely benitez. don't praise him when it works and then absolve him when it doesn't. i'm mad as hell, and i'm not going to take it anymore.

What i'm most pissed off about is for the first time in years we've been able to get the required results against the big teams and its ended up counting for nothing cos of our inability to beat teams we're far better than. They'll probably beat utd now when its too late to get anywhere near them.

Welcome to the goons' last 4 seasons.

Sorry that's bollocks.
When O'Neill took over Celtic, Celtic were pretty much shit and Rangers had just spent 12 million on Tore Andre Fucking Flo like. Tore Andre Flo for 12 fucking million. That's not a bankrupt team. It was a record amount at the time.
The money was there for them, but they got in shit managers who wasted it and put them in financial difficulty.
Meanwhile O'Neill took that shit team and brought them their first proper European run in years. With players that to a large extent were unheard of before they came to Celtic and after they left.
That says a lot. He gets the best out of the players he has, it takes a good manager to do that.
Celtic also played some good football under O'Neill, it was only in his final season they football was quite bad, and you can't really lay all that on a manager who was trying to look after his ill wife. Plus, with Neil Lennon in the team at the age he was, any team ends up playing defensively!
End of the day though it's the results that count. O'Neill took Celtic to numerous league and cup titles, and to a European final, which at the time people thought a Scottish side would never manage.
And at Villa he's taken a team that was starting to make a habit of sitting in the bottom half of the table, and now they're in a Champions League place, the first team to properly challenge the big 4 in a few years.
Doesn't matter whether the football is shit or not, the results show he is a quality manager that can get the most out of average players.
As for "What big players has he worked with?" how about "Henrik Larsson".
Oh but I forgot, he must still be shit because he never played in England. Sure he only won Barca the Champions League final, but what does that mean, right?
sorry mate, you're completely blinkered. henrik is a "big player"? no, henrik is a player, he's a pro, he's a model pro. idi amin could manage henrik. rangers were in a slump, and walter smith had gone. walter won how many leagues in a row? yeah, sure he got to the uefa cup final, a final so revered middlesbourgh also got there. gordon strachan has won nearly as many leagues as oneill did, in less time too, ergo he's also the greatest manager or all time? o neill's alright, don't get me wrong, but he's not the fucking messiah, and frankly i'd win a bag full of tin if i was in charge of celtic.

and henrik scored the occasional goal before o'neill arrived. anyone remember that?

Who do you want in charge Hector?
that all depends on what needs to be achieved. the major problem with getting a new manager in is they bring a new regime, and that can set you back flipping years, again. i want someone to come into the mess that's there, take the squad and the staff that's there, and fix it. make those tiny adjustments, pick the correct teams etc. mourinho proved he could do that by taking an existing chelsea squad, making minor tweaks, and winning the league in the first season. lets be realistic, that's what we want, right? to win the league. i just don't see how now, in third with 2 wins in wha...7-8? and 6 home draws, how liverpool are any better than they were in 2002, or 1997, or 1994.

mourinho, though, i don't see as being long term. but then again, who's made the tranisition from youth to first team under benitez, bearing in mind he's bough 1,245 children in the last 5 years. he talks up pacheco and nemeth, but we're never going to see them. he's far too conservative to win the league. i think the squad is good, and once the first league comes, the dynamic in the premiership will change. given that winning the league is all important, for so many reasons, i'd take mourinho for a couple of seasons. til he gets bored and fucks off.

let me just qualify that: mourinho would be perfect for a couple of seasons because a0 he's a fixer, and b) he'll be out of a job come summer.

other "big" names mentioned have been frank rightguard. no thanks. and no-one for who english isn't a language, we'd end up in a big phil scenario. Sven has been mentioned, and sven is alright with decent squads. the man city gig ddin't do his reputation any favours til hughes came along and proved just how hard it. other than that, who's out there? who? eh? someone dutch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back