new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (2 Viewers)

every game is like a final, now, says pep riena.

rafa's finals

chelsea-pool3-2
milan-pool 3-3
hammers -pool 3-3
milan-pool 2-1

he could be onto something there

the squad has stagnated, next step: backwards. we're no closer to the ultimate goal. none whatsoever. chelsea and arsenal's awful seasons make liverpools look better. this reminds me of houlliers corner. we kept turning corners. right back to where we started. and rafa's constant contract whine is undignified and distracting. a change needs to happen before it get institionalised.

William Hill have suspended betting on their 'next Premier League manager to go' market, while Sky Bet have slashed the odds on Benitez to leave his post before the start of next season to 1/4 from 10/11.
Hill's spokesman Rupert Adams said: "We are slightly jumpy after being turned over by the recent 'Weymouth coup' but the level of interest on Rafa getting the sack is unprecedented with over 300 calls logged today alone. We would be very surprised if Rafa is still the Liverpool boss by midnight on Sunday."
Sky Bet's Dale Tempest commented: "Discussions between Benitez and the club on a new contract seem to have been going on for ages and, if the money we've seen this morning is correct, it would seem that those negotiations have broken down."
The Reds face Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 clash on Wednesday night and should they get knocked out of the competition, Benitez faces the reality of a trophy-less season.
Liverpool trail runaway Premier League leaders Manchester United by seven points following their disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Manchester City at the weekend, adding to the pressure which has built since the turn of 2009.
Despite topping the table on New Year's Day, Benitez has since watched his side throw away points against Stoke, Everton, Wigan and City while an FA Cup fourth-round exit against the Toffees compounded their problems further.
Benitez's infamous outburst towards Sir Alex Ferguson just before their goalless draw at Stoke sparked reports he was beginning to feel the strain, while his ongoing contract negotiations have also led to speculation his time at Anfield could be drawing to a close.
Sky Bet go 11/4 about Benitez being in charge at the start of next season, while they have already priced up a market on his successor, with former manager Kenny Dalglish leading the way at 3/1 and ex-Chelsea boss and current Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho the second favourite at 8/1.
Following the clash at the Bernabeu, Liverpool travel to face Middlesbrough in the Premier League before hosting Sunderland the following Tuesday.
The return leg against Real at Anfield takes place on Tuesday March 10, with the crunch top-of-the-table clash away to Manchester United follows on Saturday March 14.

inneresting, what with mourinho getting the sack in two weeks as well.. inneresting.

inneresting, what with mourinho getting the sack in two weeks as well.. inneresting.

hmmm...seems odd that he would go when the champs league campaign is still ongoing. I think Mourinho would be a decent acquisition but i'd love to see Martin O'Neill get a shot at a big-name club.

hmmm...seems odd that he would go when the champs league campaign is still ongoing. I think Mourinho would be a decent acquisition but i'd love to see Martin O'Neill get a shot at a big-name club.
i don't dig martin. i think he's dour, and i think he fears egotistical players, you know, "big names". if hypofuckingthectically o'neill was offered, or indeed, remotely interested, i think he's take the club so far backward first, and then not achieve anything. i've never seen anything from o'neill to suggest he can play agaisnt bigger teams. i think his celtic champions league record speaks for itself.

mourinho would be different, he could work with what's there, rather than have to destroy and rebuild. witness his first season at chelsea. i only say mourinho for that very reason, you don't need another gump like rafa, or houllier, or souness coming in an deciding it all has to be torn down. really, liverpool are 2-3 good players away from having a top, top (copywright j.redknapp) team. lets say, for the sake of argument, glen johnson and david villa and winger, perhaps. just for the sake of argument, you understand.

oh and ultimately, everything rafa does "seems odd"

i don't dig martin. i think he's dour, and i think he fears egotistical players, you know, "big names". if hypofuckingthectically o'neill was offered, or indeed, remotely interested, i think he's take the club so far backward first, and then not achieve anything. i've never seen anything from o'neill to suggest he can play agaisnt bigger teams. i think his celtic champions league record speaks for itself.

O'Neill has patiently built Villa up to a top-five team now, perhaps even pipping Arsenal for 4th. He has had little to spend. In his time at Celtic he ruled the league and in Europe he was always going to suffer because they had inferior players. I'd like to see him given a crack at it.

Mouinho would bring success but at the price of dour football.

O'Neill has patiently built Villa up to a top-five team now, perhaps even pipping Arsenal for 4th. He has had little to spend. In his time at Celtic he ruled the league and in Europe he was always going to suffer because they had inferior players. I'd like to see him given a crack at it.

Mouinho would bring success but at the price of dour football.
dour, jesus! have you ever seen oneill's teams?

as i've said before, chelsea and arsenal are having very bad spells, and villa are so-so, but have gotten in there. it owuld be moot if the other two were up to their usual. celtic didn't rule the league either, they threw it away once as well, recall, and strachan got celtic into the champs league knockout with worser players. so there.

Personally, I would hate to see our current brand of champagne football despoiled by dour, tactical managers concerned more with results than joyfully tearing teams apart with expansive, one touch displays of technical brilliance.

I think you're definitely putting the cart before the horse there with O'Neill. I'm not advocating that he should be Liverpool manager, but all the same on the basis of what's he's had before his managerial record is very impressive indeed. What 'big players' has he had to work with in the past that would indiacte that he's not able to deal with them? It's a groundless argument Hector.

I think you're definitely putting the cart before the horse there with O'Neill. I'm not advocating that he should be Liverpool manager, but all the same on the basis of what's he's had before his managerial record is very impressive indeed. What 'big players' has he had to work with in the past that would indiacte that he's not able to deal with them? It's a groundless argument Hector.
ah here, it's all hypothetical, and as such, utterly groundless. except, what big players has he worked with? can you name one? i think that in itself says a lot. he got celtic at a great time, when rangers were almost bankrupt and walter smith had left. it was perfect. he made celtic obdurate and dour, like a wrecking ball, with bog standard prem players. bog. standard. villa aren't much better. they're summed up for me by their performances against man u last season when they were utterly, utterly gormless. i don't think bringing a manager that's made below average teams perform a bit better is the way forward. i'd love to see o'neill at a big club, to test my thesis, just not liverpool, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back