new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (1 Viewer)

ah here, it's all hypothetical, and as such, utterly groundless. except, what big players has he worked with? can you name one? i think that in itself says a lot. he got celtic at a great time, when rangers were almost bankrupt and walter smith had left. it was perfect. he made celtic obdurate and dour, like a wrecking ball, with bog standard prem players. bog. standard. villa aren't much better. they're summed up for me by their performances against man u last season when they were utterly, utterly gormless. i don't think bringing a manager that's made below average teams perform a bit better is the way forward. i'd love to see o'neill at a big club, to test my thesis, just not liverpool, thanks.

hehe
in shorter terms,but the same argument. He's brought the best out of players he's worked with. he's tactically very sound. he's well liked and well respected. there's no evidence at all that this wouldn't transfer to better players at a bigger club, and that will happen eventually. But where we're in agreement is that I don't want him to test my thesis at Liverpool either!

Well well. Benayoun deserved that. He's played alright. Babel and Riera and comedy players though. Best use is to be the wall at a free kick.

Rafa's going nowhere. He would've walked more thn a year ago if he was afraid of a fight with the board. And they can't sack him considering how much better he's made the team over his 5 years and the majority of fans like him.

Benitez is completely insane and I hope he has quit by the time I wake up tomorrow

Rafa's going nowhere. He would've walked more thn a year ago if he was afraid of a fight with the board. And they can't sack him considering how much better he's made the team over his 5 years and the majority of fans like him.

Magnificent result all the same.
Amazing that there's five posts in a day in this thread after beating Real Madrid away. Not complaining, but observing like.

It was another example of Benitez's tactical prowess when it comes to taking on continental opposition. Real looked fairly flat to be honest, and despite not having too much of the ball I thought it ranked highly with European results of recent years. Aurelio was MOTM. It's going to be hard going back to the frustrating mess of situation in the Premiership, but it was certainly a nice distraction for a few hours.

Has he really made them that much better ?

I think he's made them miles better. I don't think he's perfect or that he hasn't made mistakes but as a football man and manager he knows his shit more than anyone else in the business thats a feasible option. Him being the best manager we have is one of many reasons to keep him.

Bear in mind that the only team we're currently trailing in the league is Man Utd, who are really really good at the moment and the Premier League is probably the strongest league in the world.

In Europe we're one of the most feared teams going and we just beat a resurgent Madrid (ignore what Dunphy says) who've been whopping all and sundry for the last few months. Last night we turned them back into the pack of girlscouts we suspected they were when the draw was made, sans Gerrard and (to all intents and purposes) Torres.

I think part of the problem is the frustrating manner in which our league form has dipped - the grinding draws. Just the manner of them seems to heartless. Maybe we are too methodical... but that just is what it is. Its worked a lot of the time. We are still second in the league. If we can somehow summon victories at Middleborough and against Sunderland in the next few days we'll be a point off United, though theyll have to two games in hand. Not the worst position in the world to be in.

ah here, it's all hypothetical, and as such, utterly groundless. except, what big players has he worked with? can you name one? i think that in itself says a lot. he got celtic at a great time, when rangers were almost bankrupt and walter smith had left. it was perfect. he made celtic obdurate and dour, like a wrecking ball, with bog standard prem players. bog. standard. villa aren't much better. they're summed up for me by their performances against man u last season when they were utterly, utterly gormless. i don't think bringing a manager that's made below average teams perform a bit better is the way forward. i'd love to see o'neill at a big club, to test my thesis, just not liverpool, thanks.

Sorry that's bollocks.
When O'Neill took over Celtic, Celtic were pretty much shit and Rangers had just spent 12 million on Tore Andre Fucking Flo like. Tore Andre Flo for 12 fucking million. That's not a bankrupt team. It was a record amount at the time.
The money was there for them, but they got in shit managers who wasted it and put them in financial difficulty.
Meanwhile O'Neill took that shit team and brought them their first proper European run in years. With players that to a large extent were unheard of before they came to Celtic and after they left.
That says a lot. He gets the best out of the players he has, it takes a good manager to do that.
Celtic also played some good football under O'Neill, it was only in his final season they football was quite bad, and you can't really lay all that on a manager who was trying to look after his ill wife. Plus, with Neil Lennon in the team at the age he was, any team ends up playing defensively!
End of the day though it's the results that count. O'Neill took Celtic to numerous league and cup titles, and to a European final, which at the time people thought a Scottish side would never manage.
And at Villa he's taken a team that was starting to make a habit of sitting in the bottom half of the table, and now they're in a Champions League place, the first team to properly challenge the big 4 in a few years.
Doesn't matter whether the football is shit or not, the results show he is a quality manager that can get the most out of average players.
As for "What big players has he worked with?" how about "Henrik Larsson".
Oh but I forgot, he must still be shit because he never played in England. Sure he only won Barca the Champions League final, but what does that mean, right?

As for Benitez, he is a good manager, with good points and bad points of course. He's been a fucking nightmare in the Premiership with some utterly bizarre decisions, but when you consider this is the first time Liverpool have really challenged for the title in years, I don't see why he shouldn't get at least 1 more season with the team to see what they can do next year. The problem is he'll probably want a long-term contract or whatever, and that might end up being more expensive to Liverpool than everything else if things go tits up over the next couple of years.

Many would say that Benitez gets the most out of all of his players too, I don't there is anyone in the squad that's playing beneath themselves or doesn't give 100% every game. I think O'neill would be a step backwards for Liverpool, what we need is another two players in the class of gerrard/torres and for Rafa to throw caution to the wind a bit more. As it stands this is our best season in a long time and the squad is way ahead of where it was 5 years ago and I believe we are well set up for the next 5 years.

He's definitely leaving. Thank fuck!

Parry set to leave Liverpool post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7914358.stm

Pool fans have felt this fella has held them back in my experience of talking to them. What will him leaving do for them, i never understood why he was holding them back properly?

Here's a clue: he fucked up the DIC takeover, by pissing them about and then offering it to the Yanks. It's a fairly safe bet that they would have been far more beneficial to the club than the latter have been, and he's even fallen out with Gillett now. The list of rumoured contracts/transfers he's fucked up reads like this - Van Nistelroy, Cech, Simao, Quaresma, Cristiano Ronaldo, Villa, Barry. The Keane saga had a lot to do with him. Parry even pulled the plug over Houllier's head, when Et'o and Van der Vaart were apparently in youth training at Melwood. Mourinho signed a pre contract agreement with Liverpool in 2004 but Parry decided against him.

Basically Parry was a daudling idiot who's off field management has cost us far more ground on United than any of Rafa's poor decisions.

Interfering in transfer policy mostly. A lot of the garbage benitez has bought has been second choice stuff bought after Parry put the kibosh on first choice players for the sake of a million quid or so.

See: Dani Alvez was ours for 12 mil in 05/06 but Parry refused to go over ten as I recall. Dani fucking alvez. For 12 million.

Sorry that's bollocks.
When O'Neill took over Celtic, Celtic were pretty much shit and Rangers had just spent 12 million on Tore Andre Fucking Flo like. Tore Andre Flo for 12 fucking million. That's not a bankrupt team. It was a record amount at the time.
The money was there for them, but they got in shit managers who wasted it and put them in financial difficulty.
Meanwhile O'Neill took that shit team and brought them their first proper European run in years. With players that to a large extent were unheard of before they came to Celtic and after they left.
That says a lot. He gets the best out of the players he has, it takes a good manager to do that.
Celtic also played some good football under O'Neill, it was only in his final season they football was quite bad, and you can't really lay all that on a manager who was trying to look after his ill wife. Plus, with Neil Lennon in the team at the age he was, any team ends up playing defensively!
End of the day though it's the results that count. O'Neill took Celtic to numerous league and cup titles, and to a European final, which at the time people thought a Scottish side would never manage.
And at Villa he's taken a team that was starting to make a habit of sitting in the bottom half of the table, and now they're in a Champions League place, the first team to properly challenge the big 4 in a few years.
Doesn't matter whether the football is shit or not, the results show he is a quality manager that can get the most out of average players.
As for "What big players has he worked with?" how about "Henrik Larsson".
Oh but I forgot, he must still be shit because he never played in England. Sure he only won Barca the Champions League final, but what does that mean, right?

i was starting to believe you...then i read that.
didnt the boy larsson play for man u? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back