Minor complaints thread (29 Viewers)

Visited Dublin at the weekend. So many junkies. Poor bastards.
Yeah, I've been there a few times the past month and it's not very nice. People shooting up right on the street with no attempt at even shielding it. I was looking forward to sitting out somewhere for a meal or drink but never even bothered.

city centre is the worst it's been in a good while on both ends of the spectrum - Deprivation and opulence central. Shitload of addicts and homeless beside some of the highest rents in Europe. Dublin is fucked

I was in *western regional town* at the weekend and what kinda struck me after a while was there being no space for middle ground. Everyone who was out after about 9-10 was on cocaine, anyone who wasn't sorta backed away realising there wasn't anywhere to go that wasn't full of it. Kinda was a bit sad - the place wedged with over confident fuckheads calling me 'brother', not one place to just have a pint without getting accosted. It's obviously not the same as addicts, these people are weekenders for sure.

had to ring the dyson support hotline this morning. the upselling was tedious - 'we've just sent out a replacement part free to you for your current vacuum cleaner, but we somehow think it's worth trying to sell you a new one for €500' is a strange pitch.

Dyson can feck off. Brexit will make the UK dynamic like Singapore insisted Jim, then Brexit happened and they feck off to Singapore.

I was in *western regional town* at the weekend and what kinda struck me after a while was there being no space for middle ground. Everyone who was out after about 9-10 was on cocaine, anyone who wasn't sorta backed away realising there wasn't anywhere to go that wasn't full of it. Kinda was a bit sad - the place wedged with over confident fuckheads calling me 'brother', not one place to just have a pint without getting accosted. It's obviously not the same as addicts, these people are weekenders for sure.

I wonder what impact the year and a half of imbibing at home is going to have had on people's behaviours and habits. I've gone from being basically teetotal to fully being someone "who'll take a drink," as in I've noticed myself thinking "I'd love a drink" from time to time in the day and to be honest I'm not entirely happy about that. How many people have gone from a few drinks in the pub to being accustomed to wines and lines or whatever where they might not have been before?

I'm quite looking forward to when we won't be going out to the pub probably but the stage where we can feel safe visiting our friends' houses and I resume my previous function of being my girlfriend's totally dry chauffeur when we visit people.

I've been to San Francisco a few times with work over the last few years, and that'd boggle your mind. Homeless people camping on the street outside an art gallery selling original Picasso stuff
oh yeah That is super fucked. Probably standard for American insanity but definitely would be up a turbo level for us. They have a whole shantytown of tents on the outskirts of LA. A Real dystopian Mad Max reality

A good few tents in Croppy Acre Memorial Park these days

What really got me was seeing an old friend and one-time bandmate who is now a full-blown junkie. Not long for the world, I would say.

A good few tents in Croppy Acre Memorial Park these days

What really got me was seeing an old friend and one-time bandmate who is now a full-blown junkie. Not long for the world, I would say.

It's crack around here. I've lost a few people I thought should know better. They're not dead yet but... That mostly predates the pandemic though. There's no shanty towns that I know of, but there's streets of people asleep in cars. And any spot where you might expect to find a tent, sure enough there's a tent there.

My friend's Dad drives for Dublin Bus. During lockdown, he said all he did was shuttle junkies around the city. With fewer regular commuters and shoppers etc the junkies slowly reclaimed a more dominant presence, where traditionally they were largely hidden. Now, as has been said they are openly scoring, smoking, and shooting up wherever they feel like it. It's a weird sort of progress, in that we can't pretend they don't exist anymore.

That's grim. Still conspicuous wealth to be seen where I am. But the drug problem is massive, if you choose to see it.

Why do people do it, does anyone know? My 16 year old, who has all the problems of the world figured out, naturally, was haranguing me the other day saying that addiction stems from poverty, but ... well, in my experience people will try Drug X because their friend tried it and said it was fun. Junkies are clearly not having much fun though

Im not qualified to say, but seems to me it's cheaper than booze, gets you right off your head, gives you something to think about other than all the other shit that's wrong in your life. There is a tribal mentality to it as well. And pushers preying on the easily led. That takes years, not everyone is brilliant at fighting and shagging and being a Real Man, those "weaker" ones get taken in and used by the hardmen on the estate. They think it let's them hang out with the tough guys.

Why am I even talking about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back