Minor complaints thread (68 Viewers)

how strong is the link between addiction issues and already existing mental health problems? my dad's family is riddled with alcoholism, but they're yer typical fucked up donegal family of half buried seething resentments.

My friend's Dad drives for Dublin Bus. During lockdown, he said all he did was shuttle junkies around the city. With fewer regular commuters and shoppers etc the junkies slowly reclaimed a more dominant presence, where traditionally they were largely hidden. Now, as has been said they are openly scoring, smoking, and shooting up wherever they feel like it. It's a weird sort of progress, in that we can't pretend they don't exist anymore.
I found that on the Luas too, especially during the colder months where (I presume) people bought a day pass and stayed in the warmth of the Luas all day, walking up and down every few minutes to beg for change. It was such a different vibe compared to now or before Covid.

how strong is the link between addiction issues and already existing mental health problems? my dad's family is riddled with alcoholism, but they're yer typical fucked up donegal family of half buried seething resentments.
Very strong and complex. A lot of mental health/psychiatric disorders will have symptoms associated with poor impulse control and increased risk-seeking behaviour. Couple that with self-medication or with drugs as a triggering episode for an underlying problem.

Massive, evidently. Not quite the same, but there was a thing on the radio the other week saying that 50-80% of male prison inmates have suffered head trauma at some point. Guys not right in the head (sorry for the old fashioned lingo), getting messed up because that seems like the best way out of whatever they're feeling right now.

If it was easily fixed it'd have been fixed by now.

I wonder what impact the year and a half of imbibing at home is going to have had on people's behaviours and habits. I've gone from being basically teetotal to fully being someone "who'll take a drink," as in I've noticed myself thinking "I'd love a drink" from time to time in the day and to be honest I'm not entirely happy about that. How many people have gone from a few drinks in the pub to being accustomed to wines and lines or whatever where they might not have been before?
I kinda got a feeling of a huge shift in social structure over the weekend. The people who were from there found it hard to relate to the place. I sorta suspect if we'd a lightswitch type overnight event that people wouldn't go back to their previous circles - everyone has not dealt with this in the same way, be it a few beers or lines and wines or fit - its a strange thing. Kinda thinking out loud here. Occasionally i meet another person i've not seen for a bit and been taken aback by how different their experience was to mine.

I wonder what impact the year and a half of imbibing at home is going to have had on people's behaviours and habits. I've gone from being basically teetotal to fully being someone "who'll take a drink," as in I've noticed myself thinking "I'd love a drink" from time to time in the day and to be honest I'm not entirely happy about that. How many people have gone from a few drinks in the pub to being accustomed to wines and lines or whatever where they might not have been before?

I'm quite looking forward to when we won't be going out to the pub probably but the stage where we can feel safe visiting our friends' houses and I resume my previous function of being my girlfriend's totally dry chauffeur when we visit people.
It's so easy to just get some drink in, knowing there is no commute in the morning.

I need to cut down on it to be honest

But not tonight

Why do people do it, does anyone know? My 16 year old, who has all the problems of the world figured out, naturally, was haranguing me the other day saying that addiction stems from poverty, but ... well, in my experience people will try Drug X because their friend tried it and said it was fun. Junkies are clearly not having much fun though

People get addicted to drugs because of underlyign unresolved mental / emotiontal issues. self-medication stops them feeling bad / prolongs the escape. also heard Heroin is better than sex and the high from Crack is so so so so amazing its insanely hard not to do it a second time / third etcc.
alot of People's issues arent being dealt with because they have no access to mental health servies / and a desparate lack of public health servies. these people are never going to be able to afford to just go private and not bother with being in a public que/waiting list that could take months / years.

the lack of investment in public health has had a huge impact on the more vulnerable and less well off.
we can thank successive FG & FF governments for bending over for the private health care industry and in turn fucking us and our society over.

lost 49 Euro on a kickstarter project that seems to have scammed alot of us.
didnt know chargeback was only within a 4 month window of transaction. thought itd actually be longer than Paypal's 6 month window. SONOFABITCH

lost 49 Euro on a kickstarter project that seems to have scammed alot of us.
didnt know chargeback was only within a 4 month window of transaction. thought itd actually be longer than Paypal's 6 month window. SONOFABITCH
I can empathise. I lost €80 or so on a Leonard Cohen box set when PledgeMusic collapsed. No emails to update backers, just left to eventually figure out that you’re fucked.

Been getting locked pretty consistently every friday, saturday and sunday night since we started. Previously would have only drank at gigs. Not great is it. Really look forward to friday night cans all week.

Had to buy bigger trousers last week. Going to knock it on the head this weekend.

Been getting locked pretty consistently every friday, saturday and sunday night since we started. Previously would have only drank at gigs. Not great is it. Really look forward to friday night cans all week.

Had to buy bigger trousers last week. Going to knock it on the head this weekend.
The bigger trousers was my wake up call too

Gin has fewer calories, right?

It was cans for me every thursday, friday, and saturday there up until a few months ago but then I swapped them for non-alcoholic cans and reduced those naturally as they're not that exciting. I have the odd real beer but I've kinda lost interest, I feel better than you all without it.

Mrs. egg_'s been off the booze since she got sick, and it turns out that drinking by yourself just isn't near as much fun. It also turns out that the recommended maximum-units-per-week is pretty low - 14 units, according the NHS, which is "equivalent to 6 pints of average-strength beer or 10 small glasses of low-strength wine". So despite me thinking I hardly drink at all these days, my 5 weekly bottles of beer and few glasses of wine looks like it's over the recommended limits

I knew a, NOW DECEASED, man who averaged 100 pints a week for about 20 years.

Get up in the morning, work 9-5 or so. After work go to the pub and drink from 5-10, two pints an hour, monday-thursday. Make up the rest by drinking pints all weekend.

This man had a wife and kids.

I mean, he was miserable but he was drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JohnnyRaz
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back