Minor complaints thread (25 Viewers)

addiction treatment places in Ireland only seem to take people in if they are off drink for a while which is silly.
there are always underlying problems but getting help or even getting an appointment with a psychiatrist to get diagnosed can take a LONG time. The system seems to think people have to a large degree brought this on themselves.
we are in the dark ages in Ireland dealing with addiction - way behind international practices (as with so many things in Ireland).
I've had friends who are on mental health disability benefit that smoke so much that they run out of money every week even if they have no other vices. Amber Leaf - the poor man's tobacco.

I almost never get bored, often lack motivation and I'm VERY risk adverse. But addiction is completely a mental health problem. I learned that very quickly when I started to attend mental health services

Citations Needed have had a good few episodes about addiction narratives in the media, worth a listen.

It's all US based so you'd hope it doesn't apply here but I do fear the creep of US media, certainly a lot of it becomes received wisdom.

Over the last 20 years, the topics of substance use and treatment have become the stuff of televised entertainment: heart-wrenching stories of desperation and redemption, of suffering and survival. Shows like A&E’s Intervention and VH1’s Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, which depict people with substance use disorders and their experiences navigating recovery in rehab, have gone a long way to shape our common narratives about what addiction is and how it should be addressed.

The central conceit of these shows is that anyone struggling with addiction must follow the same road to recovery: stay at a for-profit treatment facility for approximately one to three months, requiring, among other things, complete abstinence from drugs and/or alcohol, no matter how excruciating or dangerous. While these methods are effective for some, they’re profoundly harmful for others.

In promoting this one-size-fits-all approach to treatment—which can be accompanied by punitive and often humiliating experiences—these shows reinforce techniques and philosophies that are not only scientifically debunked, but also have the potential to endanger people’s lives. Meanwhile, they serve as an advertising platform for these for-profit rehab centers themselves, many of which have been shown to be prohibitively expensive, ineffective, and, in some cases, deadly.

On this episode, we examine the pseudoscience, myths, and fundamentally quasi-christian self-help ideology promulgated by this genre of television; the ways in which these shows exploit addiction for the sake of story; and the relationship between rehab television and the multibillion-dollar for-profit treatment industry.
Our guest is journalist and author Maia Szalavitz.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mrs. egg_'s been off the booze since she got sick, and it turns out that drinking by yourself just isn't near as much fun. It also turns out that the recommended maximum-units-per-week is pretty low - 14 units, according the NHS, which is "equivalent to 6 pints of average-strength beer or 10 small glasses of low-strength wine". So despite me thinking I hardly drink at all these days, my 5 weekly bottles of beer and few glasses of wine looks like it's over the recommended limits
I remember explaining units of alcohol to someone once. When he finally understood what a unit was his jaw dropped. "A WEEK?! That's not even a Tuesday!"

On the above, it's all kinda relative. It depends how much it affects your life really. You lot seem to drink much less than I, or a lot of people I know, do. That includes everyone from millionaires to people who sleep on the street.

Also, I've had many comments over the years about my drinking "because I'm Irish". London people drink like lunatics. I'd never have these habits if I didn't live here. It's just Irish people who live here drink too much, because it's easy, allowed, sometimes expected, and London is depressing sometimes. Oh yeah, and I'm really fucking sound to hang out with and I'm an awesome listener.

I can't get the strimmer to start

It's just been serviced and tuned up, but it just won't start

It's the bane of my life

Every time my old man wants me to do some strimming for him I find that I've completely failed to remember how 2-stroke works and what I have to do to make the fuel blend. I hate that machine.

On the above, it's all kinda relative. It depends how much it affects your life really.
When I was playing in a bar band a few years ago everyone* else in the band would drink maybe 5 pints on a Wednesday night, stay in the pub until the small hours of the morning, and get up for work the next day ... and it was me (drinking non-alco beer cos I was driving, and leaving the place at midnight) who'd spend the second half of the gig yawning my head off. I dunno. Practice makes perfect I suppose?

*except for one lad who'd had 2 heart attacks, and would smoke weed instead

3 calls from robots today so far
the online scam business has really cranked up hugely over the last year -

''someone is using your social welfare info in Dublin - give us your banking details''
''give us 3 Euro as we've got your package customs is due on''
''hi we're your bank, something's wrong give us your card numbers''
and some photo website I never heard of claimed I was mentioned on their website yesterday.

almost the only mentions of me by name online are on my Gran's death notices.

is @nuke terrorist not your real name?

I'm getting the calls too and they seem to be taking my number and changing one or 2 digits so that when it rings it will look familiar to me and I'll answer.
I get these things by email but the photo thing was the first text I got yesterday.
for years I never got anything like this. so it's still a novelty.
nobody has ever scam phoned me.
the numbers being slightly different from a previously unsolicited call is a dead give away.

''the give up yer bank numbers'' scams I was told about by folks who got them in last few days. they were emails too.

there is very little trace of me online apart from a few internet forums (mostly here) and my discogs profile.

is @nuke terrorist not your real name?

I'm getting the calls too and they seem to be taking my number and changing one or 2 digits so that when it rings it will look familiar to me and I'll answer.
Thats whats happening to me! I thought I was going mad!

I even had to make sure I knew my own number after a couple of them cos I was all confused

I can't get the strimmer to start

It's just been serviced and tuned up, but it just won't start

It's the bane of my life
Out of curiosity, I thought I would see if my girlfriend's Dad's strimmer would start. It's been neglected at the back of the shed for ages and looks like crap.

Started up first go.

I think I need to buy myself a decent new one.

When I was playing in a bar band a few years ago everyone* else in the band would drink maybe 5 pints on a Wednesday night, stay in the pub until the small hours of the morning, and get up for work the next day ... and it was me (drinking non-alco beer cos I was driving, and leaving the place at midnight) who'd spend the second half of the gig yawning my head off. I dunno. Practice makes perfect I suppose?
It's cause of the sugar in the alcohol, keeps them going no problem. Like 100% that's what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Activity
    So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
    The Sugar Club
    8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
    Back