Marriage Equality Referendum (1 Viewer)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mormon, the problem with the debate may be arising because the No side's arguments are generally all reverse-engineered
"I'm against this thing on principle as a traditionalist and my gut tells me it's wrong, but I need actual arguable points. Sodomy won't fly. Fuck. How about kids? Everyone likes those. Kids? Kids!!!!"

I dislike (and distrust) "don't worry it's no big deal" type of arguments on any subject.
Letting people marry who they love is all it's really about. It's about as big a deal as being gay is.

Letting people marry who they love is all it's really about. It's about as big a deal as being gay is.

Well no, it is about a lot more in fairness. As the Lawyers for yes document says:

This Referendum will affect children. It will affect gay and lesbian children coming to terms with their sexuality. It will assure them that they are valued equally in Ireland and that the State will place no limit on their aspirations for their personal and family lives...

Some children being raised by same-sex couples, if those same-sex couples
choose to marry, will become part of a constitutionally protected family. The passage of the Referendum would send them a positive message of inclusion and respect.

This kind of thinking looks pretty radical compared to when any of us were in school.

The no side have every right to be afraid as this does undermine what the church says a family should be. It's bloody fantastic.

Gay people were marrying when @jonah was still in seco. The thinking doesn't seem all that radical when it's been part of the conversation for so long.

I have to think that this will pass and it will be such not a big deal to anyone after a very short while.

It's been great for outing bigots though. So there is some ancillary upside.

This kind of thinking looks pretty radical compared to when any of us were in school.

we've come a long way from stuff like a teacher telling us that if The Health (Family Planning) (Amendment) Act, 1985 was passed you wouldn't be able to walk down the street without being hit in the face by used condoms being thrown from bedroom windows

Mormon, the problem with the debate may be arising because the No side's arguments are generally all reverse-engineered
"I'm against this thing on principle as a traditionalist and my gut tells me it's wrong, but I need actual arguable points. Sodomy won't fly. Fuck. How about kids? Everyone likes those. Kids? Kids!!!!"

lovejoy-think-of-the-children-16nov131.jpg

while a person at work was telling us that this will lead people to marrying trees and dogs, ignoring the fact that neither dogs or trees can consent to legal agreements.

I'd like to hear a yes person who isn't terrified of the phrase "redefining marriage" say "yes, it is being redefined and I think that is good because.." and argue from there.

I heard some lad on the radio the other day (possibly the same guy mentioned earlier in this thread) say that he was in a relationship with a woman, came out, and is now in a relationship with a man.

Hes on the No side and argues that, from his experience, relationships between a 'man and a man' and a 'man and a woman' are inherently different.

Anyone that has ever gone out with more than one person will tell you that relationships between man1 and woman1 and man 1 and woman2 and man2 and woman1 and man2 and woman2 will all be inherently different.

Talking about '(re)defining marriage' is to buy into a argument that the catholic church want people to have. The referendum, obviously, is about redefining marriage legally, but the 'redefining marriage' the No side are pedalling is the one being pushed by the priests.

Trying to define something that is so completely unique between any 2 people, be they same-sex or otherwise, is a nonsense.

I heard some lad on the radio the other day (possibly the same guy mentioned earlier in this thread) say that he was in a relationship with a woman, came out, and is now in a relationship with a man.

Hes on the No side and argues that, from his experience, relationships between a 'man and a man' and a 'man and a woman' are inherently different.

Anyone that has ever gone out with more than one person will tell you that relationships between man1 and woman1 and man 1 and woman2 and man2 and woman1 and man2 and woman2 will all be inherently different.

Talking about '(re)defining marriage' is to buy into a argument that the catholic church want people to have. The referendum, obviously, is about redefining marriage legally, but the 'redefining marriage' the No side are pedalling is the one being pushed by the priests.

Trying to define something that is so completely unique between any 2 people, be they same-sex or otherwise, is a nonsense.

A lot of people seem to think that marriage is some kind of "natural" law that was defined and set in stone by something/someone other than ourselves.

Natural Law: The unwritten body of universal moral principles that underlie the ethical and legal norms by which human conduct is sometimes evaluated and governed. Natural law is often contrasted with positive law, which consists of the written rulesand regulations enacted by government. The termnaturallawis derived from the Roman term jus naturale. Adherents to natural law philosophy are known as naturalists.

It seems that lawyers and law students actually study this shit. There is a whole body of legal and philosophical theory built up over the centuries which has been used to back up this traditional marriage nonsense. This deeply depressing article affords a glimpse into the minds of the enemy.

https://www.princeton.edu/~anscombe/articles/finnisorientation.pdf

Most of it is a bit over my head. Are any of you lot in the legal business? Is this kinda thing really taken seriously? Is there good reason to take it seriously?

A lot of people seem to think that marriage is some kind of "natural" law that was defined and set in stone by something/someone other than ourselves.

It seems that lawyers and law students actually study this shit. There is a whole body of legal and philosophical theory built up over the centuries which has been used to back up this traditional marriage nonsense. This deeply depressing article affords a glimpse into the minds of the enemy.

https://www.princeton.edu/~anscombe/articles/finnisorientation.pdf

Most of it is a bit over my head. Are any of you lot in the legal business? Is this kinda thing really taken seriously? Is there good reason to take it seriously?

Every time I try to open that link I get a warning so I can't comment on his argument.
More broadly, Natural law is important as it recognises some things as inherently good or bad, no matter where they happen and it has been used as the inspiration for human rights legislation. It is understood as being superior* to positive law when the two conflict so at Nuremburg it was used to counter/quash the "Just following orders" defence. Elements of it also features in our constitution, so yeah, it is pretty important.
(I hope that's relevant to what you were asking and not just a pile of meaningless shite).

*This part is disputed by some.

Every time I try to open that link I get a warning so I can't comment on his argument.
More broadly, Natural law is important as it recognises some things as inherently good or bad, no matter where they happen and it has been used as the inspiration for human rights legislation. It is understood as being superior* to positive law when the two conflict so at Nuremburg it was used to counter/quash the "Just following orders" defence. Elements of it also features in our constitution, so yeah, it is pretty important.
(I hope that's relevant to what you were asking and not just a pile of meaningless shite).

*This part is disputed by some.

The whole concept seems to boil down to "Me and my friends like it this way so shove it" except it's tarted up in legal jargon and smugness. I read that article about 5 years ago though and have read nothing else about law so I don't really have a clue what I'm taking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back