Marriage Equality Referendum (2 Viewers)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
most recent red C poll says 72 % yes, 20 no, 8 undecided
Red C joke

parting.jpg

What should people really be debating @Mormon Nailer?

I'd like to hear a yes person who isn't terrified of the phrase "redefining marriage" say "yes, it is being redefined and I think that is good because.." and argue from there. I dislike (and distrust) "don't worry it's no big deal" type of arguments on any subject.

I like to hear a no person, instead of the creepy dog whistling that goes on now say clearly "I'm voting no because I think it will lead to x, and I don't like x". All I hear is vague "won't someone think of the children" pearl clutching.

I'd like to hear a yes person tell me why we're back at this subject a couple of years after the civil partnership debate. I remember lots of "nooooo we're not looking to change marriage, civil partnership is grand" comments at the time.

I'd like a no person to tell me exactly what the consequences of this referendum will be that are sooooooo frightening to contemplate that aren't possible now anyway.

I don't know is it because the no side are arguing an unwinnable case, or that the people we see are the last few head case holdouts, or that no-one wants to be branded a homophobe - but the poverty of thought on display....

Regardless of how much of a slam dunk people think the referendum is, this has been a pretty unenlightening debate.

Yes there probably is a bit of an attempt at a softly, softly approach on the yes side, but I think it depends where you are looking. The Lawyers for equality gang, for example, have a fairly detailed document about it that goes into the nature of marriage and right to marry and stuff:

https://www.yesequality.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Lawyers-for-Yes.pdf

Also, at the same time. they are trying to win by popular vote here. I don't this is the exact moment to make your stand against Irish anti-intellectual tendencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back