Marriage Equality Referendum (1 Viewer)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"You are perfectly entitled to be against equality, but you can expect to be called out as a homophobe if you are favouring discrimination based on sexuality. Just like you would be called out as a racist if you were favouring discrimination based on skin colour."

poster Black Menorca finds this concept to be 'scary stuff' and 'orwellian'

Well enough people complained that the event, though not cancelled, has been decoupled from the social club and the fucking head of the company has had to send out an email saying it was a mistake to give the company's blessing to it. Fucking hate this planet.

Well enough people complained that the event, though not cancelled, has been decoupled from the social club and the fucking head of the company has had to send out an email saying it was a mistake to give the company's blessing to it. Fucking hate this planet.

Proper order!
Work is for work. And internet!

The issue is coz it's gubbermint department, and the Civil Service is supposedly apolitical. Anyway the event is still unofficially going on and lots of businesses have donated amazing raffle prizes for the fund raising.

The issue is coz it's gubbermint department, and the Civil Service is supposedly apolitical. Anyway the event is still unofficially going on and lots of businesses have donated amazing raffle prizes for the fund raising.
Ah, hadn't realised it was a Civil Service job. That makes sense I suppose.

To be honest, I am more pissed off at management for flip-flopping on it. It was bad form to allow it in the first place maybe but withdrawing support just makes them seem ineffectual.

that seems to be exactly the same collection of arguments except with "but AHA! I'M GAY! your move, liberals" tacked onto it

"The result of allowing same-sex couples to marry is that agencies that are entrusted with finding parents to adopt and foster children cannot legally favour families that can provide a mother and a father, which all evidence suggests is the best environment for children."

hasn't this been thoroughly debunked?

Oh ok, well I felt he was making the argument in a way that didn't fundamentally come from a place that was all about homophobia so it was at least worth hearing him out.

but you are correct, it's the same old stuff dressed differently.

that seems to be exactly the same collection of arguments except with "but AHA! I'M GAY! your move, liberals" tacked onto it

"The result of allowing same-sex couples to marry is that agencies that are entrusted with finding parents to adopt and foster children cannot legally favour families that can provide a mother and a father, which all evidence suggests is the best environment for children."

hasn't this been thoroughly debunked?

Prospective adoptive couples should be assessed on their own merits, people who argue that a straight couple would be better seem to discount the possibility that gay couple A may be better suited than straight couple B to raise a kid. They also seem to not realise that it's fucking hard to get approved to adopt a kid. There's plenty of gay couples c,d,e etc who may not be approved to adopt a kid for all sorts of reasons, much as with straight couples f,g,h. They don't just give babies to whoever wants one.

Also, this may be less common what with a higher percentage or adoptions being from abroad now, but the biological mother of both my sister and I were given the opportunity to choose who we went to. If someone decided that the best people to raise their baby was a gay couple who's business is it of some busybodies.

I suppose there may be some lesbian and gay folk who think marriage is a stupid, limiting institution but while they come up with alternative ways of ordering themselves why limit the ways in which others.
Prospective adoptive couples should be assessed on their own merits, people who argue that a straight couple would be better seem to discount the possibility that gay couple A may be better suited than straight couple B to raise a kid. They also seem to not realise that it's fucking hard to get approved to adopt a kid. There's plenty of gay couples c,d,e etc who may not be approved to adopt a kid for all sorts of reasons, much as with straight couples f,g,h. They don't just give babies to whoever wants one.

Also, this may be less common what with a higher percentage or adoptions being from abroad now, but the biological mother of both my sister and I were given the opportunity to choose who we went to. If someone decided that the best people to raise their baby was a gay couple who's business is it of some busybodies.

Yeah but what if you'd caught gay off your gay parents? Checkmate.

11150499_10153178370672200_205117184592837923_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back