2015 Referendum on legalisation of Same-Sex marriage (1 Viewer)

Sir, – I would like to suggest that Breda O’Brien (Opinion, February 8th) direct her friends who feel their jobs have been threatened by their daring to express reservations about marriage equality to the Employment Equality Acts 1998-2011. Their positions are protected therein.

Unfortunately, the positions of gay or lesbian teachers are not protected under these Acts, by virtue of Section 37, against the reform of which Ms. O’Brien’s Iona Institute consistently argues. – Yours, etc,

BERNIE LINNANE

McBRIDE,

Dromahair,

Co Leitrim.

Boom!

Nice one, Bernie!

poor Breda.

‘My good name has been demolished’ | The Irish Catholic

the fact that one of the main reasons that gay people want marriage rights is so that they can be registered as parents of children, either by adopting a partner’s children or by commissioning children through surrogacy, and/or egg or sperm donation.

also LOL at

Users found this page by searching for:

A complete inability to understand the realities of this argument

Her and her type are the proverbial brick wall against which reasoned debate bashes its head

poor Breda.

‘My good name has been demolished’ | The Irish Catholic

also LOL at

Users found this page by searching for:

She claims that she has never sought to hurt or harm anyone but as best she just can't help herself from doing it. As an adopted person this bolded part ...

No gay couple can bring children into their relationship without the assistance of at least one person of the opposite gender. This fundamental difference, with all the profound implications for children of being raised either without their mother, or their father, is supposed to be politely ignored so that adults can receive their ‘rights.’

is quite insulting and if I gave a fuck about what she had to say I'd probably be hurt by it, instead I'm angry at her collosal stupidity and dickish opinions. Still it's nice to know that the man and woman who raised me, and loved me, and supported me and who I love to the fullness of my capacity to love anyone or anything* are not my parents, they're actually a couple of people who fucked in the 70's.

Most straight couples who adopt by the way, are about as biologically capable of producing a child together as your average gay couple, that's why they adopt.

* Perhaps I'm just a broken person, and if I'd been brought up by my real parents, both of them, when it obviously appears that they didn't want to be together for life and might have resented me if they had I might know how to love something better.

She claims that she has never sought to hurt or harm anyone but as best she just can't help herself from doing it. As an adopted person this bolded part ...

is quite insulting and if I gave a fuck about what she had to say I'd probably be hurt by it, instead I'm angry at her collosal stupidity and dickish opinions. Still it's nice to know that the man and woman who raised me, and loved me, and supported me and who I love to the fullness of my capacity to love anyone or anything* are not my parents, they're actually a couple of people who fucked in the 70's.

Most straight couples who adopt by the way, are about as biologically capable of producing a child together as your average gay couple, that's why they adopt.

* Perhaps I'm just a broken person, and if I'd been brought up by my real parents, both of them, when it obviously appears that they didn't want to be together for life and might have resented me if they had I might know how to love something better.
She keeps whining about the personal attacks on her, which to be honest I have a small amount of sympathy for, no one needs to be shouted at on the street.

HOWEVER, her actual argument, the thing she wants to talk about, is a total bullshit argument about surrogacy and includes some really weak philosophical quotes she was spouting on the podcast last week; stuff about people having a 'natural' connection to where they come from and therefore an innate connection to their biological parents.

I actually wish more people did engage with what she wants to talk about because her actual argument is as weak as the argument that's been foisted upon her (i hate the gays).

The entire idea of this natural biological connection is dangerously close to scientific racism imho.

stuff about people having a 'natural' connection to where they come from and therefore an innate connection to their biological parents.

I've met both my biologicals, they're nice people and I like them but I didn't feel a switch go off in my head when I met them where I felt that I was now complete. Similarly I've met the kids they subsequently had, my half brothers and sisters and whatever I feel towards them doesn't even begin to compare to how I feel about my adopted sister.

Anyway I don't really want to get into it and I might, when I've calmed down regret making the above post, and the similar themed rant I went on about it on twitter but reading that made me very angry.

I'm wary of weighing in on adoption in general because I don't want to claim that my experience of it reflects everyone's, in fact mine is pretty atypical amongst 20th century Irish adoptees and I'd hate to think that I'd be seen as speaking for someone else who's experience differs, though I suppose I shouldn't feel like I should be silenced due to the idiosyncrasies of mine, but when someone makes a broad stroke statement about it, especially one that stupid, which I feel I can debunk by simply sharing my experience of it I think it's okay to chip in.

To the main topic of the thread, and her piece. My position on gay adoption is that if oppose gay adoption you are holding an anti-child opinion.

all this talk about "oh won't someone think of the children" in relation will be irrelevant if the talked about "children and family relationships bill is passed" as has been discussed

Equal parent rights for gay couples | Irish Examiner

A draft Children and Family Relationships Bill will be discussed by Cabinet shortly and considered by Oireachtas committee by Easter, he said. It will be finalised by July and be ready for Dáil debate by September with the intention of enacting it by December.

While adoption is not currently in the bill, the minister said it would also be tackled. “Since 1952 an individual can adopt regardless of his or her sexual orientation. It makes no logical sense where an individual who is gay can individually adopt that a couple in a civil partnership should not be able to adopt. These are issues to be addressed whether or not we have same-sex marriage.”

so any such argument if this intended bill is not relevant, therefore the main argument by ms. o'brien, senator mullen et al is null and void

from senator mullen in the irish times

Opponents of next year’s referendum will argue that redefining marriage also redefines parenthood. That society should not deny children the right to the love of a mother and father wherever possible. That the adult right to have a child should not be elevated above a child’s superior right to optimum parenting circumstances, which includes retaining the natural biological ties wherever possible.

How can it be homophobic to make these arguments? What an injustice to countless parents who love their gay children unconditionally and support them in every way, but still believe that marriage is for another kind of relationship. How dare anyone accuse such parents of an irrational aversion towards their children?
A lucid debate is vital ahead of referendum on marriage - Social Affairs & News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Wed, Feb 19, 2014

so will ms. o'brien and senator mullen and mr. quinn support same sex marriage if that bill is passed?

-----

as to abuse received by ms. o'brien, this is uncalled for and is wrong. they are entitled to their viewpoints and people who disagree can voice their viewpoints but please do it civilly.

but also, neither people who support same sex marriage or those who oppose it should not focus on the negative elements of the other side and tar everyone who disagrees with them under the same brush. this is not right and only serves to disrupt the discussion of the referendum

a point of view for internet forums is to remove anonymity but does this work or does it silence those on the whole. internet anonymity hurts those looking to discover themselves for example a transgirl in a rural environment, should they have to relinquish their anonymity, which may put them at risk from threats and such so for them, it would be easier to post under a pseudonym.

Paddy Power odds on this...
For pass 1/4 Against fail 5/2
I will definitely put some money on this for being a pass
50 euro win = + 200 quid, i knew i should have put something
on that senate referendum that evening so i am not missing out this time !

50 euro win = + 200 quid!

err, i think 1/4 means a quarter of the odds so
€50 bet - win €12.50 and get your €50 back - return €62.50
if you betted on the referendum not passing with €50, win €125 and get €50 back - return €175

50 euro win = + 200 quid, i knew i should have put something
on that senate referendum that evening so i am not missing out this time !

That's 4 to 1 on. Your 50 quid bet will return 62.50

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back