2015 Referendum on legalisation of Same-Sex marriage (1 Viewer)

Single gay people can adopt, and gay couples can foster - it's all a bit inconsistent

It's very difficult for any single person to get cleared to adopt in Ireland, typically it happens in cases where the prospective adoptive parent is a blood relation of the prospective adoptee, think an aunt/uncle of a child who has been orphaned.

Non-married straight couples can't adopt either.

I actually found myself shouting at the tv last night.
LGBT people can be against the idea of marriage just like straight people can be, it doesn't mean that you should prevent others from getting married.

They talked about how teachers can legally be fired for being gay, that 70% of teachers were aware of homophobic bullying in school and that LGBT people are 7 times more likely to attempt suicide.
This was followed by a prayer before bed short with a primary teacher explaining how important it is for kids to learn how to make st Bridget crosses.
Good thing RTE don't have a Catholic bias, it might make giving the iona institute 85k look even worse.

I actually found myself shouting at the tv last night.
LGBT people can be against the idea of marriage just like straight people can be, it doesn't mean that you should prevent others from getting married.

thats the bit that confuses the shit out of me too. If they don't agree with getting married then they shouldn't get married. But to prevent others from getting married? thats just acting the cunt

Basically now anything short of an assault isn't homophobia. So I guess anything less than lynching isn't racism.
Good to know.

thats the bit that confuses the shit out of me too. If they don't agree with getting married then they shouldn't get married. But to prevent others from getting married? thats just acting the cunt
These gay marriages are not real marriages and so undermine real traditional marriages by having the same level of official credibility. I think that's why they take it personally. Their sense of superiority is threatened.

These gay marriages are not real marriages and so undermine real traditional marriages by having the same level of official credibility. I think that's why they take it personally. Their sense of superiority is threatened.
what about the 'self-hating gays' though?

I get the thing about superiority being threatened but I have to do a double-take every time it enters my head. To me its on a par with things like ending slavery, giving women the vote, civil rights for african-americans, etc. Its mind boggling. Its a human rights issue and the fact that its even up for discussion is absolutely fucking shameful of this country.

Its a human rights issue and the fact that its even up for discussion is absolutely fucking shameful of this country.
in fairness the rest of the world are having trouble getting their heads round it too.
i'm most embarrassed for ireland today with regard to that pro-life propaganda in schools issue

in fairness the rest of the world are having trouble getting their heads round it too.
i'm most embarrassed for ireland today with regard to that pro-life propaganda in schools issue

In the UK though, would those against marriage equality not get short shrift in public debate?

I'm with you on the schools. We were made watch video of an actual abortion. Foetuses in buckets, the whole deal.
Fucking maniacs running the schools.

So many quote-worthy moments last night, from Pussy Riot right up to the end. Go Ireland, what a shambles we are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back