Quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever attempted on here (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 40
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2
I had to choose between the two last night so flipped a coin. Well, the script defaults to alma, soooo….
The lads who picked Rocky are starting all the migrations in an Institute that has the name "Rocky" in it, so that reason alone means they kinda had to pick it.

I guarantee that loads of people are going to think that this naming overlap means that the sys admin guys out there wrote their own linux distro.

Arch linux was lovely, that's been the only one that made me want to mess with that stuff again for fun.

Now it's all containers and automations. I dunno, not as much fun for some reason. Work feeling a bit more like work.
I've used maybe 5 different flavours. I'm a fan of Ubuntu and that has been my go-to. I was even gonna take a job with them until their interview process went a bit fucking nuts.

but yea, all this everything-as-code and containerisation takes a lot of the fun out of it. Too many rules. But you can kinda see why it went that way. To stop pricks like me doing stupid shit (*)

* I still do stupid shit

I've used maybe 5 different flavours. I'm a fan of Ubuntu and that has been my go-to. I was even gonna take a job with them until their interview process went a bit fucking nuts.

but yea, all this everything-as-code and containerisation takes a lot of the fun out of it. Too many rules. But you can kinda see why it went that way. To stop pricks like me doing stupid shit (*)

* I still do stupid shit
Arch felt a little different. Like, Arch was doing stripped-out-to-fuck distros before that became normal for distros doing that for container images. But, something about Arch in particular was very sensible. The docs? I'm not sure. It felt simple.

Ubuntu is the sensible Toyota Corolla, it works, it's going to keep on working. I use it too like, because... I'm very boring. I just need it to work.

One thing about automation is it's a bit like moving house repeatedly, in the sense that you have to pick the things that you want to keep and clear out the other shite.

I have everything running on one (virtual) server so the whole containerisation craze kind of passed me by. Also means years (decades?) of crap have built up with repeated upgrades.

I’ve a separate VM for the mastodon instance but that’s its own thing.

Don't do it, Pete

planet of the apes art GIF by Tech Noir

Hahhaaaa what the actual fuck

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

many years ago i went for a job in IBM; would have been a junior field service role, i think the pay was 18k. six interviews, and a medical. i turned them down.

Absolutely bizarre how these guys can get away with this level of interrogation. Sound like MBAs or HR has been put in charge of something, because I don't believe there's any need for it.

One, max two, interviews, if well run, (and maybe one presentation questions / answers session) should be more than enough to work out if you're suited for the position or not.

The best people will be clear after one interview. Putting people through this sort of shite is gratuitous, and makes up for incompetence elsewhere. (See MBAs, above.)

i heard at the time from a chap who worked international sales support, or something similar (he was manning a phone en francais) for IBM, that they'd do periodic desk sweeps after hours. if you'd left a piece of paper on your desk, you were docked a point and if you'd left a CDROM on your desk you were docked two. if you were docked something like 3 or 5 points in a year you lost your annual bonus. he said it was worse than being at school.

i heard at the time from a chap who worked international sales support, or something similar (he was manning a phone en francais) for IBM, that they'd do periodic desk sweeps after hours. if you'd left a piece of paper on your desk, you were docked a point and if you'd left a CDROM on your desk you were docked two. if you were docked something like 3 or 5 points in a year you lost your annual bonus. he said it was worse than being at school.
There's very little I don't blame MBAs for, but I'd imagine they were behind this sort of thing too.

Treating coworkers like that is much worse than ineffective, it's damaging. You'll hunt decent people out of the place, and ruin your company.

Remind me what IBM actually do these days? I'm honestly not sure, because they seem irrelevant. I'd imagine their business model centers around hire MBAs into management, who gather together to promote other MBAs further up into management.

many years ago i went for a job in IBM; would have been a junior field service role, i think the pay was 18k. six interviews, and a medical. i turned them down.

I haven't done a job interview in over twenty years, and the above is why. Even the office based work. It did involve an "interview", but that mostly consisted of the two female interviewers giggling, I think because they'd never seen me in a suit before. Oh I was handsome once. I was going from agency guy to actual staff, so I was a shoo-in.

Many years ago I was interested in HR as a career, and I got ripped to shreds on this website by people more experienced than me.

There's very little I don't blame MBAs for, but I'd imagine they were behind this sort of thing too.

Treating coworkers like that is much worse than ineffective, it's damaging. You'll hunt decent people out of the place, and ruin your company.

Remind me what IBM actually do these days? I'm honestly not sure, because they seem irrelevant. I'd imagine their business model centers around hire MBAs into management, who gather together to promote other MBAs further up into management.
I think they just sell software now. SPSS (the stats program all the universities and hospitals on Earth use) is them.

I think they just sell software now. SPSS (the stats program all the universities and hospitals on Earth use) is them.
We don't use SPSS, and didn't in all the Unis I've been through, always R. There might be some legacy apps that haven't been ported over yet, but the new work is all R, and maybe some Pandas and Numpy. Maybe old stuff might be in SAS still.
And we're minted, we're not not using SPSS because we can't afford it.

Absolutely bizarre how these guys can get away with this level of interrogation. Sound like MBAs or HR has been put in charge of something, because I don't believe there's any need for it.

One, max two, interviews, if well run, (and maybe one presentation questions / answers session) should be more than enough to work out if you're suited for the position or not.

The best people will be clear after one interview. Putting people through this sort of shite is gratuitous, and makes up for incompetence elsewhere. (See MBAs, above.)
it was devised by morons. The last thing you want is your interview process driving good people away because of how pretentious it makes the company come across.

I have blacklisted some multinationals in Ireland for this very reason, even though I have been headhunted by almost all of them at different times. If they make themselves out to be elitest, then fuck them.

When I bailed on the Canonical one, they sent me a questionnaire about the interview process. I could not have been less arsed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back