Marriage Equality Referendum (1 Viewer)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Legally speaking does marriage, in Ireland, have anything to do with children? I ask because I do not know and I have forgotten how to google.

They also have a weird obsession with bloodlines that comes up now and then when they're really pushed to explain themselves. There's a few Breda O'Brien comment pieces about it that unfortunately are behind the paywall now.

There goes my dream of adopting a 10-year-old and having Adam Sandler-esque high jinks

Ahhh, here's the thing though. A single person can adopt, although in practice I believe it's rare and seemingly most common in cases where there's an existing family relationship to the child, for example if a child were to become orphaned and an aunt/uncle/grandparent might adopt it.

So in theory one person in an unmarried couple could adopt a child under Irish law, but their partner wouldn't have parental rights.

At least that was the situation 2-3 years ago when I last looked into it.

They also have a weird obsession with bloodlines that comes up now and then when they're really pushed to explain themselves. There's a few Breda O'Brien comment pieces about it that unfortunately are behind the paywall now.

Mightn't have the exact wording right but she wrote a thing in the wake of the Panti thing last year saying "like it or not gay adoption takes a child away from its real parents," which made me really angry because aside from what she was saying about gay people she was also trying to delegitimise the relationship that I have with my parents vs that which I have with my "real" ones.

I can't see how insisting on the amazingness of heterosexual marriage is the best way to protect children and families across the board when such an approach excludes all the children of unmarried heterosexuals, not to mind the children of married or unmarried heterosexuals, single parents, orphans etc. You might as well reintroduce illegitimacy for children of unwed parents if you go down that road. These people are either homophobes-in-denial, complete ninnies, or both.

I can't see how insisting on the amazingness of heterosexual marriage is the best way to protect children and families across the board when such an approach excludes all the children of unmarried heterosexuals, not to mind the children of married or unmarried heterosexuals, single parents, orphans etc. You might as well reintroduce illegitimacy for children of unwed parents if you go down that road.
This is effectively the overall end-goal/dream for pro-lifers in reality though isn't it?

also shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how adoption works

Indeed, I used to never mind when people said stupid shit about adoption, or more precisely my own adoptive state but in the past few years as I've become more aware of my parents mortality, as well as having met my own biologicals and the emotional toll the compartmentalisation of my feelings about that takes, I've become more touchy on the subject.

Anyway sorry, don't want to derail this thread into something about my own shit.

Also, is there nobody other than David Quinn, Breda O'Brien or John Waters on that side that can be let out in public on the matter?

Not really no. In my job last year dealing with broadcast law they basically were the only people who would do media who were blowing that trumpet.

This is effectively the overall end-goal/dream for pro-lifers in reality though isn't it?

It relates too to the bigger picture in family law in Ireland. We have shit, backward family law. This suits the church because as long as the law is stone age, they claim to be the moral compass. If we actually establish legit family law for all possible family scenarios it weakens their position in society.

Ahhh, here's the thing though. A single person can adopt, although in practice I believe it's rare and seemingly most common in cases where there's an existing family relationship to the child, for example if a child were to become orphaned and an aunt/uncle/grandparent might adopt it.

So in theory one person in an unmarried couple could adopt a child under Irish law, but their partner wouldn't have parental rights.

At least that was the situation 2-3 years ago when I last looked into it.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm not used to such informed comment on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back