Marriage Equality Referendum (4 Viewers)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fuck this referendum!
One more fucking self congratulatory lecture on Facebook and I'm voting no.
This is tiresome.
The happy clappy change your facebook picture brigade
The tranny official mascot
The morons on the no side who seem incapable of composing a thought
The constant smugness
The argument that this is the most important thing ever ... but rest assured people who think it will change anything .. it won't

That said, it's heart-warming to see that society is largely welcoming of accepting a change that would have seemed unimaginable 20 years ago.

Yeah perhaps.

But people in general are stupid and Irish people are very stupid - when large quantities of them agree on one thing, or when one of these strange manias that frequently afflict the society get going (moving statues, property, equality referendum) - I get worried/suspicious.

Also.

Something about the whole process bugs me. There's something deeply dishonest about the argument on both sides. Scaremongering on one side and dismissiveness on the other. I'm sick of them all. And I'm particularly sick of the phrase "redefining marriage". It seems every debate devolves into a bullshit semantical argument about what this phrase "means".

But people in general are stupid and Irish people are very stupid - when large quantities of them agree on one thing, or when one of these strange manias that frequently afflict the society get going (moving statues, property, equality referendum) - I get worried/suspicious.

This is the right thing to do though. It's fixing a wrong.
So, if the stupidity of the masses is being channeled for a good cause, then there's no harm done.

You're going to get a lot of blather any time there's a referendum. It's part of the process.

Yeah perhaps.

But people in general are stupid and Irish people are very stupid -

thats a statement that needs a lot of qualification and I'd certainly accept some arguments for it. But in general I would say Irish people are the complete opposite of stupid.

when large quantities of them agree on one thing, or when one of these strange manias that frequently afflict the society get going (moving statues, property, equality referendum) - I get worried/suspicious.

those are 3 terrible examples. How many people do you think were behind the 'moving statues' thing?

I'd accept that there was a lot of naievity (rather than stupidity) around the property bubble, but people were fed a line, were motivated by fear/panic, and what happened, happened.

As regards the equality referendum though, this is the brighter, more liberal (read; open-minded, fair) section of society coming to the fore, rather than the typical 'official-Ireland', catholic church driven nonsense that has dogged this country throughout its history.

this is Ireland's chance to shine - not by changing a law that should never have been there in the first place - but by standing against those who are responsible for the very worst and shameful acts and attitudes in Ireland.

this is Ireland's chance to shine - not by changing a law that should never have been there in the first place - but by standing against those who are responsible for the very worst and shameful acts and attitudes in Ireland.

If this doesn't pass ....
I feel a bit ill at the very idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back