Marriage Equality Referendum (1 Viewer)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The two places I've been driving though mostly in the past fortnight have been Dublin and Maynooth. In both places I was struck by how outmatched the yes side seemed to be in terms of postering. I was in Naas this afternoon and every single lamppost appeared to have a yes poster up, didn't see a single no one.
And what's strange is that NUI Maynooth has traditionally been very strong in terms of accepting and being cool LGBT people and related issues. I would have thought there would be more Yes posters too. There was a big Yes van by the SU a couple of days ago but no great amount of posters.

Actually, probably not that surprising given how Maynooth is also ground zero for a lot of devout Catholic types. I've never seen so many pro-life demonstrations since I started in Maynooth. They just seem to gather every few weeks in front of one of the buildings and wave signs. There must be an abortion clinic hidden between the lecture halls that I don't know about.

just in from a fundraiser at the bello bar and they said they raised loads of money so hopefully lots more posters going up

from this post it looks like they've only just started putting them up

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i like the AAA ones best

10671224_975466559130259_8359604177684822414_n.jpg

the labour ones are decent too actually...fair play to them, the pricks

95888_54_news_hub_91344_656x500.jpg

Actually, probably not that surprising given how Maynooth is also ground zero for a lot of devout Catholic types. I've never seen so many pro-life demonstrations since I started in Maynooth. They just seem to gather every few weeks in front of one of the buildings and wave signs. There must be an abortion clinic hidden between the lecture halls that I don't know about.
I know St Pats have caused a ruckus in the past over LGBT posters on their campus. Owning all the nice land that they do the poor, oppressed Church can really throw their weight around in Maynooth.

There's not much point in the yes side spending money on posters when the result is in the bag. The no side have to keep plugging away though, hence the discrepancy.

And the yes campaign also seems to be much more cantered around social media.

the result is in the bag.

People saying that worries me. Which side are more likely to bother to actually go out and vote - those who perceive marriage equality as an assault on their values, or those who support it but aren't invested in it because they're not directly affected one way or the other?

Perhaps there's a whole lot of people afraid to admit it to a pollster but will when they are behind the little curtain tick the No box, and perhaps all of the social media backslapping is shallow and won't translate into votes.

I'd be shocked though.

I get the slight impression that the Yes campaign is preaching to the converted. Perhaps a better approach might be to focus their attention on the demographic or generation who might be inclined to vote no, due to their age and/or traditional mindset. Those people are also more likely to vote on the day.

I get the slight impression that the Yes campaign is preaching to the converted. Perhaps a better approach might be to focus their attention on the demographic or generation who might be inclined to vote no, due to their age and/or traditional mindset. Those people are also more likely to vote on the day.
they're out canvassing door-to-door

A good read...but you all know this already

I have no strong feelings about marriage and the need to marry to formally tell the word I have a partner, but I appreciate that society values this so..

On a couple of occasions members of my family have delicately asked after ten years or so of being in a relationship, why I haven't proposed. And they were genuinely shocked when I said my girlfriend has no interest in getting married. They thought I was the oddball...and it's her all along.

Noel Whelan: What’s the difference between civil partnership and marriage?

i'm not actively involved but i feel quite nervous about it; homophobia is still very commonplace, either barefaced or the 'why do they have to keep going on about it' variety

A good read...but you all know this already

I have no strong feelings about marriage and the need to marry to formally tell the word I have a partner, but I appreciate that society values this so..

On a couple of occasions members of my family have delicately asked after ten years or so of being in a relationship, why I haven't proposed. And they were genuinely shocked when I said my girlfriend has no interest in getting married. They thought I was the oddball...and it's her all along.

Noel Whelan: What’s the difference between civil partnership and marriage?

A lot of the nonsense here- and with the divorce referendum preceding it - from conflating the sacrament with the institution.

I often wonder if things would be simpler of marriage was removed from the constitution and replaced with civil partnership, let the church have the word marriage to do what they like with and stop the practice of signing the register in the church.

from conflating the sacrament with the institution.

I often wonder if things would be simpler of marriage was removed from the constitution and replaced with civil partnership, let the church have the word marriage to do what they like with and stop the practice of signing the register in the church.

this is the crux of the thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back