London riots (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 110
  • Views 13K
  • Watchers 6
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

my facebook has been full of that. its not pretty.

It has been making me very angry and sadly depressed today. Can people not put themselves in other peoples shoes for one fucking moment in between downloading the latest app for their shiny new iphone 4?

The saddest thing about all this is that what we are witnessing are some of the more brutal affects of capitalism at play, and of living in a deeply unequal and class-based society. At least Cameron et al know that there are a few hiccups along the way in trying to keep the subservient underclass placated. Not so these facebook muppets.

(anger)

It's been making me very angry and sadly depressed today. Can people not put themselves in other peoples shoes for one fucking moment in between downloading the latest app for their shiny new iphone 4?

The saddest thing about all this is that what we are witnessing are some of the more brutal affects of capitalism at play, and of living in a deeply unequal and class-based society. At least Cameron et al know that there are a few hiccups along the way in trying to keep the subservient underclass placated. Not so these facebook muppets.

(anger)

The truly disastrous consequences of these lack of easily analysed events combined with a healthy dose of fear / fearmongering and thoughtless reactions has become apparent in the current state of french politics and society. There were eerily simlar circumstances here a few years back - kids died while fleeing the cops followed by insane rioting (where the motivations of the rioters were many and varied - from the laudable to the idiotic) preceeded and followed by some of the worst opinion baiting I've ever seen in the media which was then picked up by carrerist politicians for political gain. As time progressed and the threat of events repeating - anything that even resembled a riot was blown up into the next potential disaster - people's genuinely felt fear was one of the key elements that allowed the whole poitical spectrum to shift to the right ( and not just by a small amount).
Today we're faced with an impotent political system where career politicians have been outplayed at their own game and a far right which has never been in a better position to win a presidential election. people are worn down and divided (the haughty intellos vs the burdened middle class vs the scum vs the niggers vs the towel heads vs the queers vs the downtrodden working class vs the rich vs etc. etc.) and more extreme forms of repressive social measures are written into law on a weekly basis.
Someone said it very well recently (I think it was in this: http://www.o-books.com/obookssite/book/detail/358) - "the class war never stopped, the rich continue to wage it".
Sadly depressed is right.

http://rosamicula.livejournal.com/540476.html

I had to red this a couple of times. She gives the impression she is going down a "those bloody Poles" cul de sac, but doesn't actually - so persevere.

(and it was posted on a friends Facebook - so it's not all hang 'em and flog 'em over there!)

Interesting read in that she is sympathetic to the reasons this is happening but doesn't acknowledge any structural economic/political factors underlying it. The attitude seems to be that there will always be an underclass as that's just the natural order of things and any attempt to do anything about it is just naive and misguided left-wing idealism. But rather than just saying "screw them" and keep them under control with harsher policing etc etc she thinks we should all be trying to help them out a bit by teaching night classes or something. Daaahling ...

Sarah Sands, The Evening Standard:

"It seems to me insulting and naïve to say that the rioters lacked entertainment.
If they want something to do, they can start by cleaning up the streets."

In fairness, setting a massive fire is a tad more exciting than sweeping up a bit of rubbish.

shit, misspelt "careerist".

The extremely reasonable tone and atmosphere of this thread is really fucking reassuring considering some of the tomfuckery of the last few days, but jesus, I feel like putting my boots on and getting stuck into the metallers.

(obviously internet boots and intellectual getting stuck in - there's been enough of that real world messing to last a while now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back