London riots (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 110
  • Views 13K
  • Watchers 6
So basically they managed to burn a few shops, shut down every indipendant label in Britain and sell fuck loads of tabloid newspapers in the process ?

Surely Rupert Murdoch should be dragged in to face questions.

All this rioting on the telly is having a bad effect on my son - he just asked me can he go to Dunnes to do a 'gok' on their toilet paper.

Riot horn - Sophie Raworth (BBC News)
sophie_raworth_gallery_6.jpg

Good read all right.

It seems contradictory to me that we despise these kids because they are so incapable of verbalising their rage. They know they have been abandoned but not by whom or why. They have been so left behind by society, are so poorly educated and disengaged that they are unable to justify their actions beyond "let's fuck shit up innit". On the other hand, is the same derision held for a Chomsky quoting student who riots at the G8?

If the education system had not failed these people so thoroughly and they were able to verbalise their discontent, if they were not so disengaged that they could tell the difference between the bankers that shafted their country and the guy that owns the corner shop would the narrative still be chavs gone wild?

I see their total mindlessness as indication of how completely they have been abandoned by society, not as indication that the protest is completely apolitical.

It seems contradictory to me that we despise these kids because they are so incapable of verbalising their rage. They know they have been abandoned but not by whom or why...

very good mormon, i think thats what i've been thinking or attempting to think but failing to actually put into words all day. i'm stealing it if you dont mind.

Good read all right.

It seems contradictory to me that we despise these kids because they are so incapable of verbalising their rage. They know they have been abandoned but not by whom or why. They have been so left behind by society, are so poorly educated and disengaged that they are unable to justify their actions beyond "let's fuck shit up innit". On the other hand, is the same derision held for a Chomsky quoting student who riots at the G8?

If the education system had not failed these people so thoroughly and they were able to verbalise their discontent, if they were not so disengaged that they could tell the difference between the bankers that shafted their country and the guy that owns the corner shop would the narrative still be chavs gone wild?

I see their total mindlessness as indication of how completely they have been abandoned by society, not as indication that the protest is completely apolitical.

Cheers for taking the time to put that down. Have been cutting down vegetation and trees and shit for the last couple of days while thinking about the situation in England and (bizarrely enough) the reactions on forums like Thumped, and Thumped in particular. We've had similar situations here in France on and off for years, but as France has a post colonial structure, the rioters have (in the majority) a particular ethnic background, so it's much harder to trot out the reactionary "they're all scumbags" etc. etc. without being accused of racism (not that that stops people, but it does contextualise it differently). As with the threads on Thumped about the travellers, I'm perplexed about the seemingly knee jerk, conservative (if not outright authouritarian) bent to some of the posts on here. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway Mormon, I was really happy when I came back in to the house to get a drink of water and read your post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm perplexed about the seemingly knee jerk, conservative (if not outright authouritarian) bent to some of the posts on here. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Tired and old as i am I should point out that this thread is not the kind of thing that I was speaking about, moreso the "bunch of scumbags out on the rob" type of post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back