ISIS (2 Viewers)

Paris attackers linked to Belgian suburb where the authorities have 'lost control'
I doubt 'Central Command' planned or even knew about it. Like the author says its likely just a bunch of nuts allying themselves to I.S. and I.S. are happy to be associated with it. For now anyway, I think and hope we'll see a real response bringing about the end of the caliphate or at least reducing it to a few lads in the desert and their Western based admirers who may continue with lone wolf attacks.

I really doubt if you are correct at all the mother of one of the suicide bombers has already stated that her son spent "a long time in Syria". Which I think indicates not a week but potentially strong conection to IS. Anyway it is to early to say and time will tell but even some of the last attacker's in Paris had traveled to Yemen for specific reasons. To see it as a freak or isolate incident I think it misses the point altogether also It is a mistake to underestimate generally the ability of the IS group.

Last edited:
Paris attackers linked to Belgian suburb where the authorities have 'lost control'

I really doubt if you are correct at all the mother of one of the suicide bombers has already stated that her son spent "a long time in Syria". Which I think indicates not a week but potentially very strong conection to IS. Anyway it is to early to say and time will tell but even some of the last attacker's in Paris had traveled to Yemen for specific reasons. To see it as a freak or isolate incident I think it misses the point altogether also It is a mistake to underestimate the ability of the IS group.

Yeah i read that (almost immediately) after posting the above.
Still, time spent in Syria (whether fighting for I.S. or not) doesn't necessarily mean that the individual would have had contact with the top people in the organisation. I think this attack is gonna bring down a whole load of trouble on the 'state' itself, trouble they could really do without at a time when the Kurds are in the ascendant and the Russians are pounding away at I.S. and other rebel factions. The French hit Raqaa pretty hard last night and I imagine there's more of that on the way.

Yeah i read that (almost immediately) after posting the above.
Still, time spent in Syria (whether fighting for I.S. or not) doesn't necessarily mean that the individual would have had contact with the top people in the organisation. I think this attack is gonna bring down a whole load of trouble on the 'state' itself, trouble they could really do without at a time when the Kurds are in the ascendant and the Russians are pounding away at I.S. and other rebel factions. The French hit Raqaa pretty hard last night and I imagine there's more of that on the way.

Yes well that is basically personal conjecture on your part and I disagree it is already known many individuals from France and Belgium have fought in Syria there is no IS presence in either of these country's ? Or IS has no european conection really ?

Yes well that is basically personal conjecture on your part and I disagree it is already known many individuals from France and Belgium have fought in Syria there is no IS presence in either of these country's ? Or IS has no european conection really ?

Oh, absolutely, its all conjecture on my behalf, I'm just applying what I know about the group and Fridays events to the likelihood of this being a centrally planned attack. I may well be wrong.
In favour of it being centrally planned is the fact that it was obviously extremely well organised and funded and, as you point out, that one of the operatives spent time in Syria. And, the UK defence secretary has just said it appears that it was planned from Raqaa.
From my point of view- I.S. are an extremely smart group and, despite their brutality, have so far acted rationally. They must have known an attack of this nature would bring a severe backlash, that's the part I don't get and why I'm unconvinced that people at the highest level in the group approved of it.
I'm not denying an I.S. connection, just that the leadership approved of the Paris attack.
Again, I may be wrong and I'll happily admit to that if and when the facts emerge.

Oh, absolutely, its all conjecture on my behalf, I'm just applying what I know about the group and Fridays events to the likelihood of this being a centrally planned attack. I may well be wrong.
In favour of it being centrally planned is the fact that it was obviously extremely well organised and funded and, as you point out, that one of the operatives spent time in Syria. And, the UK defence secretary has just said it appears that it was planned from Raqaa.
From my point of view- I.S. are an extremely smart group and, despite their brutality, have so far acted rationally. They must have known an attack of this nature would bring a severe backlash, that's the part I don't get and why I'm unconvinced that people at the highest level in the group approved of it.
I'm not denying an I.S. connection, just that the leadership approved of the Paris attack.
Again, I may be wrong and I'll happily admit to that if and when the facts emerge.
Based on everything in that Atlantic piece and the follow up, IS should have no interest in Al Qaeda style terrorist attacks like that in France (while still approving them in principal) unless they literally feel they are in a place to take on someone like France in an all out ground war.

A friend was saying to me that some Kurdish victories against IS recently have made travelling to the caliphate more difficult, hinting that these attacks may come from frustrated militants. I've asked for some more detail...

CUC_JFpWIAMZFi4.jpg

Haha.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Presumably the can was filled with an explosive? That's just l-r a can (obvs) a squib and a detonator.

The squib will likely have had nitroglycerin in it but hardly enough to take down a plane. We used to have to stock them (and have since moved over to electrical actuation rather than explosive) and had to be careful handling them, but it more a risk of blowing your fingers off than blowing up the whole building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back