Is Kevin Myers racist? (1 Viewer)

todays column is quite amusing

HEADLINE: Irish are lost for words over thorny issue of immigration

BODY:

And still, no debate on immigration, none whatever; and never mind the pusillanimous, left-liberal media classes, what about the rest of you? Why the silence? Why the abject, pathetic, skulking public wordlessness on an issue that -- to judge from the way so many people come up to me in supermarkets -- is foremost in your minds?

Clearly, we're not going to get a lead from RTE, that miserable mongrel born of a one-night stand between a pious, politically-correct vegan, and a louche, populist tabloid. That wretched half-breed was on full display during my last -- and oh believe me, my very last -- appearance on Kenny's Late Late Show recently.

A researcher from the programme had first contacted me weeks ago, asking me if I'd appear on it to discuss immigration. I was very reluctant, and with good reason. The previous occasion that I'd appeared on Kenny's Late Late Show was seven years ago, to promote a recently-published selection of my Irish Times' columns. But when Kenny introduced me, he made no mention of my book, instead yodeling in that cretinous, patronising way he has: "Now folks, what would you say to a man who said this?" ... . before quoting, out of context, a sentence from a column about Travellers. And naturally, there in the audience was a pre-primed Traveller, who promptly denounced me for my racism.

Kenny followed this with another quote, again out of context, and lo and behold, another person in the audience was ready to denounce me for my racism/sexism/whateverism. And another. and another. It was a bloodbath, and my appearance on the show ended without Kenny ever making a proper mention of the book. This, no doubt, is called "balance" in Montrose.

So why would I hazard another appearance on Kenny's vile show? Well, frankly, the national interest. Immigration is the greatest threat to the social cohesion of this country, and though I personally had absolutely nothing whatever to gain by re-appearing on the show, if I did -- simply out of patriotic duty -- perhaps I might trigger a public debate on immigration, as no mere newspaper column could.

So I sought, and got a promise from the producer Larry Masterson that if I appeared on The Late Late Show there would be no audience participation, no heat, and no personal rancour. The subject would not be me, or whatever I've said in the past, but simply immigration, perhaps the biggest challenge in the history of the Irish State.

Once the item was under way, I half-twigged what Kenny was up to when he began to question me on observations about immigration I made four years ago.

But I steered the conversation back to the central issue: the need to talk openly about it today. And then, as Kenny suddenly swung towards the audience, I realised I had been Judassed yet again. He was throwing the topic open.

He took a question from a nasty young man who revealed his agenda by addressing me as "Myers". I was able to brush off his arrant and aggressive gibberish. The next audience-member, a whinging little Australian, then accused me of playing the race-card. I saw her off too. And that was that. If Masterson and Kenny had wanted to start another lynch-mob in the audience with this shameless violation of a gentleman's agreement, they had failed. At least, the subject of immigration was now on the public agenda. Next, the nationwide debate could get under way.

Only it didn't. True, Prime Time rang the following Tuesday, asking me to contribute to a forthcoming programme on immigration. I asked about the format. There would, I was told, be various representatives from immigrant groups, plus me, and the Minister, Conor Lenihan.

And that, pretty much, is how immigration is always dealt with in Ireland: a cringing liberal deference to immigrant-sensibilities, and a sublime indifference to the feelings of the natives (a category, incidentally, to which I do not have the honour of belonging). The very notion that the majority community -- the Irish people -- should be allowed a larger voice on this subject is anathema to dogmatic liberals. Instead, immigration is usually turned into a blustering morality-competition, in which journalists loudly vie to show off how anti-racist they really are.

Anyway, I refused to appear on such a ridiculously unbalanced programme, and it went ahead without me, though perhaps my criticisms of its intended format were taken aboard. It finally consisted of one assertive immigrant, (the editor of Metro magazine), the minister, and a timid academic. Naturally, nothing whatever was gained or learned.

And I then waited for other responses from Late Late viewers, and the phone-calls from our many radio stations, to confirm that debate was now under way. Instead, almost total silence. Why? Perhaps the Irish people are simply too cowardly to survive as a people: they would, apparently, prefer to go to their demographic doom, rather than risk being called rude names.

So be it. I have done my best, and can do no more.

The bridge stands unmanned as Lars Porsena's legions approach, and this time there is no Horatio. Ireland, as Ireland, is about to vanish, just as Leicester, Bradford, Luton, Rotterdam, et cetera, have already done.

Fare thee well Enniskillen, and Erin's Green Isle.

i've always been fond of The Enniskillen Dragoons

I am very suspicious of the notion that multiculturism is automatically a good thing and you cant have too much of it. Especially when it's promoted by people whose idea of multiculturalism is more Lebaneese restaurants.

I remember Tubridy doing a show from Limerick and remarking on how there was a polish bar in Limerick and how great it was and isn't is a marvelous age we live in blah blah blah. He neglected to mention that the same bar was the roughest shithole in the city and you took your life in your hands going in there if you weren't Polish.

it's gas how that racist lad in limerick, "movement
to save ireland", has acknowledged there are
far more racist eastern europeans than irish and
prints all his stuff in polish and russian - haha

if you can't beat em, have em join you!

I remember Tubridy doing a show from Limerick and remarking on how there was a polish bar in Limerick and how great it was and isn't is a marvelous age we live in blah blah blah. He neglected to mention that the same bar was the roughest shithole in the city and you took your life in your hands going in there if you weren't Polish.

Have you been to this bar Mormon?

David Norris has a more acceptable hatred. He hates 'the lower orders' (particularly of our neighbouring island), according to himself on The View last night.

Wha? I didn't see that.

On the further issue of Kevin Myers's bullying of anyone who wonders why his vitriol against foreigners could be construed as anything but xenophobic, if he hates fucking non-Irish people so much, he really should go back to fucking Leicester.

David Norris has a more acceptable hatred. He hates 'the lower orders' (particularly of our neighbouring island), according to himself on The View last night.

I like him. He's eccentric, we need more of them. Mad Irish people normally tend to toward the rabid Legion of Mary end of the spectrum so its nice to have a few eccentric types around to balance things out.

On the further issue of Kevin Myers's bullying of anyone who wonders why his vitriol against foreigners could be construed as anything but xenophobic, if he hates fucking non-Irish people so much, he really should go back to fucking Leicester.

:eek:

How often have have I heard you say here how offensive you find the "if you don't like it Jane fuck back to America" attitude.

Would it be more or less than 20 times?

todays column is quite amusing

There it is again. He has a point ,which again gets lost or made look ridiculous with all his pompous lone voice in the wilderness, courageously struggling ( on our behalf) in the manner of a hero from a classic epic.

The point he is trying to make - I think, is that people are afraid to say anything negative about 'immigrants' , even something like "the guy I work with is a lazy chancer", for fear of being labelled a racist.

I put the word immigrant in commas there because I don't think It's really about immigration but about how inidivuals mix with each other, respect each other etc

If you can't, or feel you can't say something negative, or criticise someone for inappropriate behaviour because they belong to a minority then that's not equality and does no-one any good. There are assholes of all races, colours and creeds.

"Why can't I hate guy unless he's white?" Hank Hill

Like butt-fucking, Kevin Myers seems to believe there are no positive or even benign aspects to immigration - this is crap in my opinion. Vile crap.

The David Norris thing? The ''lower orders'' he mentions are probably the skangers he encounters in his neighbourhood. I used to live in the same area, I wouldn't use the term "lower orders", when skanger is perfectly fine. Or are skangers a persecuted minority now too?

How often have have I heard you say here how offensive you find the "if you don't like it Jane fuck back to America" attitude.

I think it's slightly different in terms of context, she's not bitching about the immigrants.

I just wish he'd fuck off.

Wha? I didn't see that.

Well when I say 'hatred' I actually mean he called them 'utterly mindless' or something like that. I just wondered what the reaction would be if someone called gays or immigrants or whomever 'utterly mindless'.
I still like him - eccentric, absolutely. Mad as a brush.

Well when I say 'hatred' I actually mean he called them 'utterly mindless' or something like that. I just wondered what the reaction would be if someone called gays or immigrants or whomever 'utterly mindless'.
I still like him - eccentric, absolutely. Mad as a brush.

was it clear who he was talking about when he said "lower orders"?

Uh, yeah, but the point is not 'go back to your own country because you don't like it here'. It's the fucking fact that an immigrant who has a problem with the number of immigrants is beyond hypocritical

It's a different situation, although yes, I do recognise the irony of my saying so, and I had assumed that most sensible people would not require me to hang all sorts of caveats on my suggestion that Myers is pretty low for railing on about immigrants when he is one himself.

I thought wrong.

I shall rephrase my point, for those who delight in nitpicking and faultfinding.

The point was that if someone has a problem with the number of immigrants in Ireland, and are themselves an immigrant, then perhaps they should practice what they preach.

You never miss an opportunity to have a go at me, do you Mormon?

was it clear who he was talking about when he said "lower orders"?

Well I suppose one could possibly argue that it was Joy Division fans, but it was clearly the great unwashed in general as I'm not sure Dave would discriminate between the illiterate followers of particular rock'n'roll combos.

The bridge stands unmanned as Lars Porsena's legions approach, and this time there is no Horatio. Ireland, as Ireland, is about to vanish, just as Leicester, Bradford, Luton, Rotterdam, et cetera, have already done.

Fare thee well Enniskillen, and Erin's Green Isle.

Da fuck? Interestingly, he's solely quoted areas of muslim immigration here. But that paragraph above, its total National Front shit...fare thee well enniskillen and Erin's green isle indeed......I would actually like to see Myers write an article in which he articulates his vision of this wonderful, socially cohesive, paradisical green isle which he's afraid will be lost to the invading hordes from the east and south...was it Dev's Ireland? was it the economically stagnant Ireland of the 70's and 80's? torn by sectarian strife in one corner and all-pervasive pessimism and immigration? was it the Ireland of the 1900's, bleeding with famine and rebellion while a tiny elite enjoyed an imperialist lifestyle? (I suspect this it was)..whatever it is, tell us, and then we can see what we stand to lose to the immigrants diluting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back