Ireland vs some Sultan or other, Stalin (1 Viewer)

Agreed that the previous campaign was the time to make him integral to the team but I think he's still important to Ireland, along with Andy Reid, for one more campaign at least. Maybe Hendrick (and Grealish, fingers crossed) can take over after that. Chris Hughton had a weird blind spot regarding Hoolahan last season, Norwich usually looked better and picked up points when he played and then he'd be dropped for the following game and they'd lose again. Was surprised that no Premier League team took a chance on him this season, I think he can still do it at that level for a couple more seasons.

He was frozen out at the end of last season but I just checked the more recent Norwich lineups and it looks like he's been playing every Championship game so far.
Sorry you are right I have him mixed up with whomever I was saying wasn't playing regularly on page one. Quinn was it ? Nevermind, mad that he get's his game there.

Agreed that the previous campaign was the time to make him integral to the team but I think he's still important to Ireland, along with Andy Reid, for one more campaign at least.

I think he's still worth a place in the squad, but I'm just not convinced he's a must-play guy any more, or that there was ever an especially long time when he was. If Long had learned how to finish then maybe, but if we're in a still position where Ireland needs Keane for his goals then I'm not convinced there's a place for Hoolihan, because I certainly don't think Robbie should be up front on his own.

I think he's still worth a place in the squad, but I'm just not convinced he's a must-play guy any more, or that there was ever an especially long time when he was. If Long had learned how to finish then maybe, but if we're in a still position where Ireland needs Keane for his goals then I'm not convinced there's a place for Hoolihan, because I certainly don't think Robbie should be up front on his own.

I wouldn't agree with that. Firstly, there's a hairsbreath of difference between a 30 yr old Hoolahan mostly on the bench for Norwich in the Premier League and a 32 yr old Hoolahan playing every week in the Championship. By all accounts he's playing very well. The faults I mentioned earlier are faults he had two years ago as well. Secondly, we're not talking about Keane as an out-and-out striker in a 4-4-2, but playing behind Long, as is mooted. Hoolahan is better equipped to play there, same as two years ago.

Nothing has really changed - I think it's just a case of supporters wanting what they can't get and then once they have it they don't want it.

I wouldn't agree with that. Firstly, there's a hairsbreath of difference between a 30 yr old Hoolahan mostly on the bench for Norwich in the Premier League and a 32 yr old Hoolahan playing every week in the Championship. By all accounts he's playing very well. The faults I mentioned earlier are faults he had two years ago as well. Secondly, we're not talking about Keane as an out-and-out striker in a 4-4-2, but playing behind Long, as is mooted. Hoolahan is better equipped to play there, same as two years ago.

Nothing has really changed - I think it's just a case of supporters wanting what they can't get and then once they have it they don't want it.
If only Daddy Dick was

A. Playing every game at cub level
B. Available
C. Not mental

Hoolihan is probably the best in that position at the moment I'd like to see a bit more fluidity in our movement in the last third, for all his good points he's not going to bust a gut to get into the box from midfield nor are Mcgeady, McCarthy, Gibson, Whelan etc so we're still a bit toothless. Keane on the other hand is a bit of an unknown quantity in a way. He plays deeper for Galaxy and does get forward and get goals but on the other hand the quality of opposition is comparatively poor. It's an odd one really because with his goal scoring record he should be a lock to start every game. Hoolihan for an hour Keane to close it out seems to be the only answer to me.

Of course that's all moot because we could be 3-0 down by half time if Ward is the best we can find at left back. Is there really no one else ?

There's Wilson (not his preferred) and Joey O'Brien (currently broken).

Very much think Wilson should play there, I know he can play elsewhere and he's technically quite good (2 footed etc) but I think he does dwell on the ball a bit when in non hoof mode, would get hassled more at CB/mid

Very much think Wilson should play there, I know he can play elsewhere and he's technically quite good (2 footed etc) but I think he does dwell on the ball a bit when in non hoof mode, would get hassled more at CB/mid

Totally agree, but I think O'Neill sees Wilson as O'Shea's partner at CB, which is where he now plays for Stoke and is happier. Ward was I think the only player that started all of the summer friendlies. I'd prefer to see Pearce start in CB.

Lads, we DESTROYED Oman, only one place above us on the FIFA rankings. i think we can relax a bit. Clearly it's all in hand.

I think Keane has to play, and can't play on his own, has to be with Long. Sorry Wes. It's not ideal either way. Without Robbie, you lose far too much of our goal threat. Without Hoolahan, you miss a link, a bit of creativity 40 yards from goal, etc. I think the goal threat is the worse loss. Against the real cannon fodder, like Gibraltar, maybe play them all with Hoolahan one of the central 2.
Aidan McGeady is absolutely vital to this team imho. I've been very impressed by his progression over the last 2 or 3 years. He'll always be frustrating, he'll never be a good shooter, etc. But his final ball has improved no end and he also plays less careless simple passes now.
Left back is a real problem. Can see us getting badly exposed there throughout the campaign.
Good to see Glen Whelan in really good form, hopefully he and McCarthy can strike up a Barry/McCarthy-esque partnership over the next while.
I had a great time at the match it was the best match ever.

I find myself wondering about Keith Andrews' hair these days. Does he still look like one of the Cairo Gang?

I find myself wondering about Keith Andrews' hair these days. Does he still look like one of the Cairo Gang?
Last seen at Watford:
Andrews_3192507.jpg

Was looking at Georgia's results in the last qualifying group there:
Georgia 1 - 0 Belarus
Georgia 0 - 1 Spain
Finland 1 -1 Georgia
Belarus 2 - 0 Georgia
France 3 -1 Georgia
Georgia 0 - 0 France
Georgia 0 - 1 Finland
Spain 2 - 0 Georgia

They are tough to crack in Tblisi, drew with France and lost to Spain with an 86th minute goal.

I'd imagine they'll be looking to get back at us for 2008/09 when we appealed to FIFA to move their home game to Germany and then beat them in Dublin courtesy of an outrageous phantom handball penalty decision..

Last edited:
Last seen at Watford:
Andrews_3192507.jpg

Was looking at Georgia's results in the last qualifying group there:
Georgia 1 - 0 Belarus
Georgia 0 - 1 Spain
Finland 1 -1 Georgia
Belarus 2 - 0 Georgia
France 3 -1 Georgia
Georgia 0 - 0 France
Georgia 0 - 1 Finland
Spain 2 - 0 Georgia

They are tough to crack in Tblisi, drew with France and lost to Spain with an 86th minute goal.

I'd imagine they'll be looking to get back at us for 2008/09 when we appealed to FIFA to move their home game to Germany and then beat them in Dublin courtesy of an outrageous phantom handball penalty decision..
You mean Theirry Henry, right? because that's the only criminal injustice to happen during that qualification.

Keith needs a tin of Dapper Dan pomade. That mane's getting unruly.

I think Keane has to play, and can't play on his own, has to be with Long.
Why does it have to be Long? Why not Doyle up front (better record against shite teams) with Hoolahan behind and a fresh Keane for the last half hour? Why did everyone give Trap such shit for your 4-4-2 formation and as soon as MON rightly changes it everyone wants to go back?

Why does it have to be Long? Why not Doyle up front (better record against shite teams) with Hoolahan behind and a fresh Keane for the last half hour? Why did everyone give Trap such shit for your 4-4-2 formation and as soon as MON rightly changes it everyone wants to go back?

There's certainly an argument for it to be Doyle. I'd edge towards Long at the moment. I don't think Long is necessarily a better player in general.

Don't blame me for everyone giving Trap shit. As you should know, formations are effective relative to the opposition anyway, there's no correct formation. Trap left us exposed against Russia when we were outnumbered in central areas, but that was because Russia set up to exploit that. Other teams subsequently used the same approach and Trap didn't react to it.

Anyway, in my opintion, the particular 4-4-2 we should be playing at the moment (if circumstances allow) would involve whoever plays on the right tucking in support the 2 central lads and to allow Coleman get forward. We have to play in such a way as to involve Coleman in attack as much as possible. This is a bit different to Trap's rigid 2 banks of 4 both in and without possession.

As for Hoolahan, I actually discussed that in the post you quoted. Definite advantages to starting him. As the manager, you have to make the call in the end. I made it, and I stick by it.

There's certainly an argument for it to be Doyle. I'd edge towards Long at the moment. I don't think Long is necessarily a better player in general.

Don't blame me for everyone giving Trap shit. As you should know, formations are effective relative to the opposition anyway, there's no correct formation. Trap left us exposed against Russia when we were outnumbered in central areas, but that was because Russia set up to exploit that. Other teams subsequently used the same approach and Trap didn't react to it.

Anyway, in my opintion, the particular 4-4-2 we should be playing at the moment (if circumstances allow) would involve whoever plays on the right tucking in support the 2 central lads and to allow Coleman get forward. We have to play in such a way as to involve Coleman in attack as much as possible. This is a bit different to Trap's rigid 2 banks of 4 both in and without possession.

As for Hoolahan, I actually discussed that in the post you quoted. Definite advantages to starting him. As the manager, you have to make the call in the end. I made it, and I stick by it.

I'm certainly not blaming you, just saying its consistent with the trend at the moment, but I think it's just a rolling rock and nobodies reflecting on the fact that that's what everyone complained about before.
Actually, although I was no fan of his formations, Trap did encourage the full backs to get forward. It wasn't a flat back four. The problem was that we had no link up in the middle and were completely overrun with one player and one one donkey in the middle of the park.
Interestingly, Kenny Cunningham would have Keane behind Long and Hoolahan out wide on the right and McGeady on the left, and swapping over, which is very attack minded, but I just can't see Hoolahan staying out wide and offering Coleman any protection. He's really an in-the-pocket player between the midfield and striker.
Long is the man for me in the tough games, but Doyle just seems more suited to score against weaker defences. Let's face it, we'll be looking to knick goals from set pieces against Poland and Scotland.

Ireland U21 versus Germany U21 has just kicked off (on Eurosport and the interweb). Jack Grealish is starting in midfield.

Actually, although I was no fan of his formations, Trap did encourage the full backs to get forward. It wasn't a flat back four.

As someone who was particularly annoyed by this aspect of our play, I think that's completely untrue. There was absolutely no question of a fullback going beyond the wide midfielder at any time. For example, how often did our attacking plan become Aidan McGeady alone, trying to make space for a cross? All the time.
When Marc Wilson and Coleman came into the team in the last campaign, there was a bit more license, or else that was just a result of lost motivation to stick by the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back