Ireland vs some Sultan or other, Stalin (2 Viewers)

Given, Meyler, Keogh (c), Pearce, Ward, Pilkington, Gibson, Quinn, Brady, Hoolahan, Doyle

Keogh captain?! O'Neill has a wicked sense of humour

Interesting - either one of the midfielders is filling in at fullback or else we're trying some version of 3-5-2 / 3-4-3.. maybe like this:

Code:
              Given
     Keogh   Pearce   Ward
    Meyler    Gibson   Quinn
Brady                        Pilkington
             Hoolahan
               Doyle

It seems like we are dominating the game but struggling to create chances, in front of about 15 people, oh well. Long and Keane on now anyway. Germany 1 - Argentina 4 meanwhile, interesting times..

Gang signs on Lansdowne Road.

oman-fans.jpg

Pearce and Doyle both scored the last time against Oman too, no?
What can you learn from that, with likely 1 starter for Sunday?
Brady was not match-fit, nor Gibson really. I'd actually see Pilkington starting with McGeady on the flanks on Sunday and Whelan/McCarthy in the middle. Hoolahan, despite all his skill, is really sloppy with the last touch very often. I suppose we're looking for the odd bit of magic from him, but it can be quite annoying. Quinn put in a shift and was fairly tidy in the whole, Meyler did a job and had a corker of a shot it the first half, Ward was a fucking disgrace as usual, Pearce was quite composed and Keogh too nervy against League 1 opposition, Doyle was usual industrious self but faded fast.

Positives: McGeady looked very sharp. Brady should be good to go in a few months. Keane looked dangerous as subersub against shite defences. GREAT to have Gibson back. He sprayed some lovely long balls out wide.

Not enough clear cut chances at all, but on another day it could have been six. Hit the bar twice.

Fuck it. MONKEANO will need to throw a few knives at them for Sunday.

Brady was not match-fit, nor Gibson really. I'd actually see Pilkington starting with McGeady on the flanks on Sunday and Whelan/McCarthy in the middle. Hoolahan, despite all his skill, is really sloppy with the last touch very often. I suppose we're looking for the odd bit of magic from him, but it can be quite annoying. Quinn put in a shift and was fairly tidy in the whole, Meyler did a job and had a corker of a shot it the first half, Ward was a fucking disgrace as usual, Pearce was quite composed and Keogh too nervy against League 1 opposition, Doyle was usual industrious self but faded fast.

Positives: McGeady looked very sharp. Brady should be good to go in a few months. Keane looked dangerous as subersub against shite defences. GREAT to have Gibson back. He sprayed some lovely long balls out wide.

I watched the RTE highlights yesterday evening... Good to see Gibson getting an hour (and blasting a couple of trademark long rangers over the bar) and Doyle notching another goal, it'd be great if he got his career back on the rails with Palace this season. Meyler and McGeady did both look useful. McGeady needs to try that inswinger from the side of the box more often. Hoolahan did seem a bit off his game though Kenny Cunningham campaigned for a starting spot for him in Georgia afterwards with a little demo reel. Besides that, not much to learn really, defence and keepers barely tested. O'Neill was prickly with Tony O'Donoghue when Tony mentioned Ireland being on a 6-game winless streak, I can see it turning sour between him and the media rather quickly if things aren't going right in the qualifiers.

Hoolahan did seem a bit off his game though Kenny Cunningham campaigned for a starting spot for him in Georgia afterwards with a little demo reel.

Armchair pundits are a fickle bunch. It was only yesterday everyone was clamoring for him to be in the team behind the striker and suddenly it's 'Keane behind Long'. What the fuck?

I'd play Hoolahan every game, with Long up front against strong teams, Doyle against the shite ones and Keane as supersub. I do suspect that it could be Keane and Long against Georgia though.

Forde
Coleman O'Shea Wilson Ward
McGeady Whelan McCarthy Pilkington
Keane
Long

Armchair pundits are a fickle bunch. It was only yesterday everyone was clamoring for him to be in the team behind the striker and suddenly it's 'Keane behind Long'. What the fuck?

That was before he could barely get into a side that was relegated last year and then turned 32. Trap should have brought in an integrated him to the squad at least for the Poland/Ukraine qualifying campaign, window of opportunity for him/him being important to us started shutting after that.

I'd play Hoolahan every game, with Long up front against strong teams, Doyle against the shite ones and Keane as supersub. I do suspect that it could be Keane and Long against Georgia though.

Forde
Coleman O'Shea Wilson Ward
McGeady Whelan McCarthy Pilkington
Keane
Long
That was before he could barely get into a side that was relegated last year and then turned 32. Trap should have brought in an integrated him to the squad at least for the Poland/Ukraine qualifying campaign, window of opportunity for him/him being important to us started shutting after that.

Hoolahan did seem a bit off his game though Kenny Cunningham campaigned for a starting spot for him in Georgia afterwards with a little demo reel.

Hoolihan hasn't played this season and isn't likely to since he told journalists Norwich was a "shit club" and handed in a transfer request.

Agreed that the previous campaign was the time to make him integral to the team but I think he's still important to Ireland, along with Andy Reid, for one more campaign at least. Maybe Hendrick (and Grealish, fingers crossed) can take over after that. Chris Hughton had a weird blind spot regarding Hoolahan last season, Norwich usually looked better and picked up points when he played and then he'd be dropped for the following game and they'd lose again. Was surprised that no Premier League team took a chance on him this season, I think he can still do it at that level for another year or 2.

Hoolihan hasn't played this season and isn't likely to since he told journalists Norwich was a "shit club" and handed in a transfer request.

He was frozen out at the end of last season but I just checked the more recent Norwich lineups and it looks like he's been playing every Championship game so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back