IRELAND VS ESTONIA!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Estonia were bleedin shocking alright. Reckon we will continue to see their likes pop up in important qualification campaigns and tournaments themselves given how badly a country performs if its main players don't give a shit (Serbia, Portugal, France) and how far you can get with decent organisation. At the end of the day giving a shit and having competent players are the two assets we have.

We also have probably no right to moan about the Henry incident now. Between some of the refereeing decisions in the Armenia game and the draw itself we have been blessed.

Beyond delighted that we have 1 and a half feet in the finals now but like Theodore Kaczynski I ended up feeling sorry for the Estonians, biggest game of their lives and it turned into humiliation for them. Crushing the hopes of plucky little overachieving nations is a curiously unsatisfying way of reaching a tournament. On the evidence of tonight though they were going to be beaten in these playoffs whoever they came up against so it might as well be us. Cheers to the North, Serbia and Slovenia for clearing the path for them to come 2nd in that group. McGeady, Walters and Ward had good games I thought, Andrews too in patches. After Tuesday, barring a disaster of freakish proportions we can start getting excited about group stage draws, squads and all the rest, can't wait!

Beyond delighted that we have 1 and a half feet in the finals now but like Theodore Kaczynski I ended up feeling sorry for the Estonians, biggest game of their lives and it turned into humiliation for them. Crushing the hopes of plucky little overachieving nations is a curiously unsatisfying way of reaching a tournament.

Oh please. Welcome to sport.

I don't buy into the idea that Estonia are rubbish, they are very much at the same standard as myriad other Eastern European nations and its no coincidence that we keep doing well against them. Last night's performance was the culmination of all of our underwhelming performances against Slovakia and Macedonia going right. We got the breaks and we took our chances, then we got more breaks and took more chances, which is the really unusual part.

I'm going to go ahead and say that Jon Walters should be starting ahead of Doyle, Long and Best when they're all fit: He's the only actual target man of the lot (Doyle has been shoehorned into that role) and we clearly are reliant on long-ball and knockdowns. I thought Walters was magnificent yesterday, delighted he got a goal.

I also like the way Robbie Keane was barely in the game but managed to get two defenders sent off, two goals and an assist. One more goal and he'll have the (joint) record for the most goals in Euro-qualifying ever.

I'm going to go ahead and say that Jon Walters should be starting ahead of Doyle, Long and Best when they're all fit: He's the only actual target man of the lot (Doyle has been shoehorned into that role) and we clearly are reliant on long-ball and knockdownl.

Thing is though that's not the role he plays at club level, there he's the nippy little striker that latches on to knock downs from Jones/Crouch. At least Doyle is playing the target man role for Wolves, also think that Long and Doyle are better footballers than he is.

One some level I was on the same page as Richie last night, we were cruising so easily at the end that I shouted at the telly for the ref to give the penalty when the Estonian player dived in the box.

Thing is though that's not the role he plays at club level, there he's the nippy little striker that latches on to knock downs from Jones/Crouch. At least Doyle is playing the target man role for Wolves, also think that Long and Doyle are better footballers than he is.

One some level I was on the same page as Richie last night, we were cruising so easily at the end that I shouted at the telly for the ref to give the penalty when the Estonian player dived in the box.

Fuck that sympathy shit. Honestly lads!

Oh please. Welcome to sport.
Yeah, I know.. sorry for being a sap, I'm a sucker for underdog stories.

I'm going to go ahead and say that Jon Walters should be starting ahead of Doyle, Long and Best when they're all fit: He's the only actual target man of the lot (Doyle has been shoehorned into that role) and we clearly are reliant on long-ball and knockdowns. I thought Walters was magnificent yesterday, delighted he got a goal.
I was thinking that - he did the 'Doyle role' in the last couple of games more effectively than Doyle has done in a while, maybe Doyle's automatic starting place is under threat now. Doyle's a selfless worker with a ferocious workrate but Walters managed to combine the target man knockdown and hold-up play stuff with more of a goal threat than Doyle has provided lately. Would have to see him up against a couple of better sides first, I suppose.

ps. Delaney is still a cock - how many other FA head executives would you get milking the applause on the opposition's pitch after the game?
http://www.sportsfile.com/id/575259/
http://www.sportsfile.com/id/575280/

Yeah fuck Delaney.

Walters for Emperor. He was great yesterday, definitely better than Doyle has been. Doyle gets muscled out of far too many balls, Walters seems to win everything that comes near him, and hold on to it. As long as he keeps doing that, keep playing him, that's what I say. He seems to have a smarter approach to going to aerial balls than Doyle - actually I'd say his timing in jumps seems to be better more than anything.

Seriously though, Estonia were fucking shite. When was the last time before them where we didn't see Whelan and Andrews get completely over-run in midfield in an important game? Although there were a couple of short spells against Estonia where they did their usual "we don't exist" job in midfield.
I'd say that, aside from Andorra, every single team we played in the group were better than Estonia were in that game. Their keeper even seemed to be challenging for a place in the Armenian goals.

I'd say that, aside from Andorra, every single team we played in the group were better than Estonia were in that game. Their keeper even seemed to be challenging for a place in the Armenian goals.

I've been saying that since Friday. They were possibly worse than Andorra actually. Strange oul campaign.

Well that was great fun altogether!
Walters payed very well indeed, but 'nippy' he is not.

I'd have said Walters is plenty nippy. He'll often flick a ball forward and beat a defender for pace. His goal against Chelsea last season was a perfect example of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back