IRELAND VS ESTONIA!!!!! (1 Viewer)

George has been ill and is recovering. Here's hoping he's back for the Euros...'ooh danger here!'

Nobody has forgotten what the Russians did to us in the qualifier. But I would more than fancy us against Greece, Poland, Ukraine, Italy, France, England, Czech, Sweden. The only teams we have no hope against are Germany and Spain (and Holland and Portugal!) but that applies for everyone else as well.
Less of the pessimism already, C'MON IRELAND!

PS - I think Hunt played himself out of any prospect of starting for us again. He almost tried too hard. Great chance for Coleman to step up to the plate in the friendlies.

I think we'll win the Euros easily.
Provided we come up against only teams that are worse at retaining possession than us.
So if we can somehow get drawn in a group against Estonia, Northern Ireland and Western Samoa, we'll be GRAND.

Retaining possession is not necessarily the thing that wins matches. It is for some teams. I'd be very surprised if we suffer any really bad defeats and hopefully we can pull a win out of the bag somewhere and get out of the group.

Retaining possession is not necessarily the thing that wins matches. It is for some teams. I'd be very surprised if we suffer any really bad defeats and hopefully we can pull a win out of the bag somewhere and get out of the group.

You're right and all.
It's just frustrating when we can't keep it against cloggers like Estonia.
Keeping it tight and hoofing it down the channels is obviously going to suit us against quality opposition.

I'll never go to an Ireland international again,can't stand for the duration of the game,instead the whole time is spent bouncing up and down like a jack in the box while surrounded by fuckers blowing horns and stuffing their faces with hot dogs.An absolute pile of shite.

I'll never go to an Ireland international again,can't stand for the duration of the game,instead the whole time is spent bouncing up and down like a jack in the box while surrounded by fuckers blowing horns and stuffing their faces with hot dogs.An absolute pile of shite.

You can stand the whole match if you get in the lower tier of I think it's the West stand? Behind the net where all the singers are. I was in there for the Slovakia game and it was good craic, even though the match was one of the worst games in the history of football.
Too many fucking prawn sandwich eaters right enough though, not enough football fans!

I don't know why 51000 of the 80000 who were at the France Croke Park don't seem to go to Ireland matches. The atmosphere that night was amazing, almost literally non-stop singing and a cacophony of noise for the 90 minutes. Been at the Slovakia, Armenia and Estonia games now in Lansdowne and it's been pretty brutal, save for the YBIG lads in the singing section doing their best. I remember at the Slovakia game attempting to follow their lead and "stand up for the boys in green" in the East Stand and people around me just looked at me and did nothing. That match was gigantic but you wouldn't have known it from the atmosphere. And jaysis the football is shite so getting a bit of atmosphere going is at least something to keep one entertained.

Hope George recovers okay, he's a great commentator. My brother and I have had a long-standing theory about commentators, that it takes a good few years for their voice to have any authority, even if they are doing everything right to all intents and purposes. George has that authority and I think you can tell he's sports-lover/geek and not some company stooge like Ryle Nugent or Daragh Moloney.

As for fucking Daragh Moloney, I cannot stand that snide prick.

I was watching The Charlton Years documentary on youtube on Saturday after we beat Estonia and I couldn't help but notice the amount of times that George did actually say "danger here" was quite phenomenal, but also that he usually just screamed "Oh no!" whenever we conceded, which has an honesty I like about it.

He is a total geek (love the way he always makes a point of showing that he's learnt how to pronunce players' names correctly), and a gentleman. He's also mad for the classical music.

Hope George recovers okay, he's a great commentator. My brother and I have had a long-standing theory about commentators, that it takes a good few years for their voice to have any authority, even if they are doing everything right to all intents and purposes. George has that authority and I think you can tell he's sports-lover/geek and not some company stooge like Ryle Nugent or Daragh Moloney.

As for fucking Daragh Moloney, I cannot stand that snide prick.

I was watching The Charlton Years documentary on youtube on Saturday after we beat Estonia and I couldn't help but notice the amount of times that George did actually say "danger here" was quite phenomenal, but also that he usually just screamed "Oh no!" whenever we conceded, which has an honesty I like about it.

I love George. Really gets into the game.

His Lyric Fm show is a revelation. He's a goddamn renaissance man.

George is very bad at identifying the right player though. Make a cup of tea, fire up a YouTube of a favourite game from the past there, take a pen and paper and note the amount of times he says X has the ball when in fact it's Y.
I dare you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back