I have decided, there are two kinds of people (1 Viewer)

When I'm pouring from a pot, I'll always be a milk in first girl. But if I'm making in a cup, then no.
One of my aunties makes hers always in the cup. And she squeezes the bag. And squeezes. Then a bit more. Then waits for a while. Then squeezes some more. She'll keep gong til the the movement of the liquid starts to slow...

Then she'll sup happily at the now tepid sludge.

jane said:
Let's talk a little about coffee. Why do people drink weak fucking swill that tastes like bongwater?

here here! (hear hear?)
tea is crap
instant coffee is crap (and that maxwell house 'brown sand in a jar' is def. NOT coffee)
it has to be the '5' type coffee, anything less than 5 wont do
(best is the espresso stuff from the oxfam shop)
unless it's boarderline toxic doses of caffeine, then what's the point?

also - if you use your espresso machine to make one mug of coffee (instead of them 4 ikkle cups), then regular people will never hassle you to make them coffee :)

Instant coffee is crap, but if (and this happens often at B&Bs) I am faced with the choice between brewed bongwater, or making my own cup of instant, I'll take the brown sand, make it into tar, knock it back, and then do my best to find a proper cup of coffee as quickly as possible.

I use a one-cup drip thing, this two-tiered Bodum device that I love. You can actually get more than one cup out of it, and, since the first cup is always much stronger, it's actually quite handy for two people who like their coffee in different strengths.

I like the espresso strength stuff, but there's a lot to be said for the 3 and 4 strengths. I load 'em up, and you get a tasty cup. It's a little woody, and heady, slightly less bitter than espresso (and I do use the word 'bitter' in the most positive of ways), and just as powerful when you drink it as strong as I do.

B0000A8VUP.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

+

477030b.jpg

tom. said:
people, you're all ignoring the real question - are you a bag-squasher or not?

when preparing the tea, do you squash the teabag against the side of the cup prior to scooping it out? i've asked numerous people about this phenomenon in the last few months. some are appalled at the very idea of bag-squashing, whereas others are equally dismayed and horrified at the prospect of bag-stewing (letting it sit there until it's 'ready'.)

(this discussion presumes that nobody here uses loose-leaf tea, but that's ok, because nobody does, only loopers and grannies do that.)

a further, related, question: adding milk or sugar first. i used to take milk and sugar (not any more - sugar in tea is gank), and add the sugar last. however, it was pointed out to me that a faster absorption of sugar would occur if it was added before the milk. i was suspicious, but the inherent logic of it won me over in the end.

i don't take sugar. however, i am a bag-squasher, and proud of it.
don't forget about the hilarious question that can be asked when making tea for other people - 'will i squash your bag for you?'.

(well, it had me in stitches anyway)

Tea: I know people who say 'I like mine weak please'. Mmm hmm. Weak like your stupid self, I say. Why don't you just drink a mug of warm milk and get it over with. Ponce.
I've never ever ever heard anyone complain about having their bags squashed. Although it's not something I tend to bring into polite afternoon tea conversations. I expect its just something that people hope you will intuitively do according to their fancy. Although, in this modren age with men and women talking about what they like in magazines and all, perhaps in the near future it won't be so taboo to ask about how squashed one likes their bags. Personally, I like a nice firm squeeze, repeat to fade.

i am a freak who doesn't drink tea or coffee. don't smoke either. i feel like i'm missing out on something here... however, when preparing tea for the wan i am a bag-squisher.

I don't think I squeeze the bags. I just leave them in there for ages...walk out of the kitchen, start doing something else...then Oh! remember the tea...go back to the kitchen, throw bags into the sink, add milk to mine and milk and sugar to Neil's, and drink. AAhhh...tea. Yum Yum. I do drink more coffee though, now, to be fair. I have one of them little alu stovetop jobbies which Old gave me as it so happens, and that makes a mighty cup of espresso.

Pet hate number 45,000,000: people who pronounce espresso EXpresso. Drives me UNSANE.

I say gick all the time! Just not on thumped probably.

hot water and milk...*shudder*

Wilbert said:
A friend of mine drinks hot water and milk and calls it 'Daniel'. She claims it is what Daniel O'Donnell drinks instead of tea because he is such a girl.

Also, the use of the word 'Gick' in a recent post made me laugh and laugh. That word is due a comeback.

Here are 26 different kinds of people.

1. There are People from Birr, Offaly who have wide faces and hands.
2. There are people who enjoy the smell of fresh fæces and actively go out to satiate this desire.
3. There are people called Joan who have barrel-chested husbands called Derek and enjoy everything from excursions to Hereford to slicing carrots menancingly.
4. There are people who go to job interviews and claim to be from Dublin when they are, in fact, from Meath.
5. There are people who have seen the light.
6. There are people who switch on the light.
7. There are people who wore Slayer and Iron Maiden t-shirts when they were fifteen and continue to do so well into their 30s.
8. There are people who claim to have worn Slayer and Iron Maiden t-shirts when they were fifteen, but actually wore Liverpool or Manchester United replica jerseys and enjoyed music that could be termed "light rave".
9. There are people who apply a DIY ethos to every aspect of life... from cooking, to music, to lovemaking, to humour and even conversation.
10. There are winners.
11. There are losers.
12. There are drawers.
13. There are women with beards who provide droll entertainment to men with beards.
14. There are people who try to impress but only manage to depress (like me in this post).
15. There are people who live by lakes and stare longingly into the night wishing that Poseidon would deliver on his promise of endless mermaids and a fifedom under the sea.
16. There are characters with wrinkled faces who have led long and uninteresting lives.
17. There are young men who carry a paunch, work in an office and claim to be at the coal-face of something significant.
18. There are people who embark on an epic crusade to find toilet paper after eating a very, very large curry.
19. There are people who enjoy their chips, and genitals, heavily doused in vinegar.
20. There are gentlemen who enjoy a créme de menthe from time-to-time.
21. There are ordinary people who claim to be artists.
22. There are bin-men with dreadlocks called Kieran.
23. There are middle-aged women who sincerely believe they have a deeper appreciation of life than the average schmuck.
24. There are people who will be annoyed by this and moan about the decline of Thumped.
25. There are those of us who regularly drink and advertise to everybody the fact that they regularly drink, Green tea.
26. There are people who enjoy typing up lists like these to give the impression that they have come across various types of characters in their lives when, in fact, they haven't.

kirstie said:
Pet hate number 45,000,000: people who pronounce espresso EXpresso. Drives me UNSANE.

I won't buy an espresso from a place that spells it 'expresso'. If you can't spell it, how can I trust you to make it properly? Worst espresso in the universe is in the Central Hotel. It is also the most espensive espresso.

should I eSpect to be dumped forthwith, so?
egg_ said:
Aarrgh same here! Twas one of the very first things myself and Niamh had to sort out when we moved in together back in the mists of time

here, piss off with your coffee talk, this thread is for tea.
why can't cafes get tea right. You have a zillion types of coffee with a million chin stroking coffee experts debating how to make it, drink it, stew it, whatever but when you order tea you get a stupid little tea pot where the lid doesn't go on, or once you try to pour it it spills all over the table and onto your lap and the single "tea Bag" in it came from a catering sack containing 4 million bought in some cash & carry for €5.

I had this cafe idea ages ago where behind the counter you'd have loads of boxes of tea and the customer would be able to pick their favourite. I dont just mean Lemon flavour etc but "lyons green box please" or "barrys please".

pricks

Tea For Two

Picture you upon my knee,
Just tea for two and two for tea,
Just me for you and you for me alone.

Nobody near us to see us or hear us,
No friends or relations on weekend vacations.
We won't have it known, dear,
That we own a telephone, dear;

Day will break and you'll awake
And start to bake a sugar cake,
For me to take for all the boys to see.

We will raise a family,
A boy for you, a girl for me.
Oh, can't you see how happy we would

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back