Have the clocks gone back/forward or something? (1 Viewer)

who invented clocks going forward and back?

no, it was father time

there was some town in limerick that decided to have its clock changing arrangments and instead of going back and forward an hour each year they set the time to the middle all year around i.e half and hour out from the rest of the country. i think it was in the forties or fifties. i think thats what they did anyway, something odd like that

hammer time?
i cant believe you didnt exploit a good google image moment.
mc-hammer.jpg

My brother had a pet sparrow when he was small, but made the terrible mistke of bringing him on holidays to Galway. The little fella got blown out to sea in a high wind. Poor Hoppy.

my brother and his friends accidently passively stoned a hamster and two budgies to death from smoking spliffs in this tiny room where the cages where. i believed they used the term 'hotbox'.
anyway, my sister got angry and sad.
ah, that was a good summer.

here have a look at this, a map detailing where in the world dayligh savings time is used and it were it isn't and where it never was

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

all the blue countrys use it, so whats up with them Arizona is the states that they think they don't have to keep up? Does this lead to folks changing their clocks everytime the cross the border depending on the time of year???

here have a look at this, a map detailing where in the world dayligh savings time is used and it were it isn't and where it never was

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image :D aylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

all the blue countrys use it, so whats up with them Arizona is the states that they think they don't have to keep up? Does this lead to folks changing their clocks everytime the cross the border depending on the time of year???

theres a big smiley in the middle of your link... :confused: (i put spaces in to keep it there... :D)

look at those tiny orange dots in canada that used to have daylight saving. heh.

who invented clocks going forward and back?

wasn't it part of the defence of the realm act during ww1?
basically to get more natural daylight during factory hours during winter as an energy saving measure.

DORA was also responsible for the licensing laws making pubs close at 11 so that people would have to go home and sleep & be up bright and early to work the factories again the next day.

these were both supposed to be just emergency measures during the war, but since they seemed to work in increasing worker productivity, they became permanent.

so eh, yeah - clocks going forward/back is pointless for most (if not all) of us at this stage, and should be repealed (along with the licensing laws ;) )

so eh, yeah - clocks going forward/back is pointless for most (if not all) of us at this stage, and should be repealed (along with the licensing laws ;) )

didnt they experiment with not changing the clocks in the early 70s and decide that it was best to keep changing them because loads of school kids were getting run over walking to/from school in the dark evenings/mornings.

heres something for the bored in work thread

oh and look at this cool clock

didnt they experiment with not changing the clocks in the early 70s and decide that it was best to keep changing them because loads of school kids were getting run over walking to/from school in the dark evenings/mornings.

I heard this too, from my ma, who has a track record of lies and fanciful folklore

I was under the impression daylight savings was for the farmers, getting up at 5am to milk the sheep or some such... yet another reason to keep the culchie down...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back