The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

It's being called a terrorist attack which is fair enough I suppose there will be allot of theories I guess.

Totalitarian police state where all dissent is ruthlessly quashed by untold state agencies. Secret police all over the shop. Hmmm. Terrorist conspiracy.

Sounds fishy

This is worth watching. It's only an hour, I don't think I could handle more than that. Filmed mostly from body worn cameras and dronebomb cameras.

Housemate has made and worked on all sorts of documentaries and he was going "fuck!" "Shit!" "Jeeeesus!!!" every couple of minutes.

You are actually going to see people actually get killed. I've never watched anything like that in such..... intimacy?

This is worth watching. It's only an hour, I don't think I could handle more than that. Filmed mostly from body worn cameras and dronebomb cameras.

Housemate has made and worked on all sorts of documentaries and he was going "fuck!" "Shit!" "Jeeeesus!!!" every couple of minutes.

You are actually going to see people actually get killed. I've never watched anything like that in such..... intimacy?
I saw the bit of this on 6 pm on BBC News yesterday. A Ukrainian guy got shot in the hand on camera. Ukrainian soldiers set off and then aren't heard from and they later find their bodies.
The Ukrainians attack 2 Russians by dropping a bomb with a drone (moment censored) and one is seemingly killed.
A tough watch even for a few minutes.

I saw the bit of this on 6 pm on BBC News yesterday. A Ukrainian guy got shot in the hand on camera. Ukrainian soldiers set off and then aren't heard from and they later find their bodies.
The Ukrainians attack 2 Russians by dropping a bomb with a drone (moment censored) and one is seemingly killed.
A tough watch even for a few minutes.

Spoilers mate. I thought it was odd that they gave warnings about discriminatory language. If you've ever met a stressed out Russian speaker then you'll know that's how they speak. They're somewhat unreconstructed. The other bits are far more shocking, to me anyway.

I think that warning might be a BBC subcommittee decision.

But it's not a snuff thing. It's what it's really like, I suppose.

I thought you lot knew about how to do that yourselves.

It seems like the kind of thing that'll appear on a YT channel. There is a bit of Ukrainian pr office about it. But that doesn't taint it in any way.

But yeah, if you can find it, do watch. I've not seen anything like it.

it was divided before. 25% of the population identify as Russian and only speak Russian. In Estonia and Lithuania you get large pockets in border areas (see Narva in Estonia which is 80% Russian and is one of the biggest shitholes I've set foot in). The divide wasn't really between the Baltic countries and Russia, per se, but rather between the indigenous population and those who identify as Russian. Theres a lot of tolerance for that community, even though they can't speak the language of the countries they were born and have always lived in. For example, if you want a government job, or to work in a bank, you must be billingual. Street signage is frequently billingual, and there are Russian language media outlets, both TV and print.

That tolerance level is definitely dropping. But just among the general population. There is nothing official from the government about how that section of the population are treated, though there have been announcements about the Russian state. The monuments thing is a natural extension of that, and the hope among the indigenous population is that they will start to phase Russian out more and more. For example, by giving a 10-year deadline to remove Russian as an official language, and thus its being a requirement for government jobs or banks. That will force that part of the population to either learn the country's language, or fuck off back to their motherland.

There is a lot of pro-Ukranian stuff everywhere you go. Some of the Russian lads were defacing it and attacking it. There were also assaults on Ukranian refugees. So, they haven't helped their own cause.

Among the older generation in border regions, many old people still look fondly on soviet times. They see it as a time when everyone had a job, heating was free, and everyone had food. But they mention nothing about having zero freedom to have opinions, and that having them would see you transported to Siberia, never to be seen again.
Lithuania feeling the effects of an influx of Russian refugees

The Russians love Vilnius. But it's kinda spoken for already, I'd have thought.

1712163839320.png

Lithuania feeling the effects of an influx of Russian refugees

The Russians love Vilnius. But it's kinda spoken for already, I'd have thought.

View attachment 18395
bah, paywalled.

Vilnius is very small so I can see how it could seem overrun very quickly.

There is a lot of fatigue in these countries with the Ukranians that have moved in too. They're changing laws to force them to re-register their cars, get car insurance, and get jobs rather than handouts. But the majority of Ukranians in these countries have been doing those things anyway. Its like here, a handful of loudmouth nazis are starting to get a bit of traction with disgruntled locals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back