The Russian invasion of Ukraine (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
I didn't see any mention in other threads about the goings-on on the Ukraine border, so I'm starting a new thread.

From my position of ignorance it seems like Vladamir is being a bollox, but the concerns he's voicing, and citing as the reason for his actions along the border in both Russia and Belarus, are being completely ignored. He's claiming he doesn't want the NATO border extended all the way out to Russia but is it not moreso that he just doesn't want Ukraine in NATO, as they might abuse their position there and bring NATO to war with Russia?

Joe Biden sounds like a blithering idiot in all this. He reminds me of comical Ali from Saddam Hussein's days. There are talks ongoing between different European states and Russia, and Biden starts screaming, 'WAR, WAR., They're starting a war'. Someone needs to rein that fucker in.

Case in point - ‘Things could go crazy quickly,’ Biden warns on Ukraine as talks in Berlin fail

Putin has, and always will be, a bollox. But I doubt very much the powers-that-be in Ukraine are shiny white either.

It seems to me like the west want this war to happen. Case in point, the brits sent Liz Truss to Moscow. Moscow's reaction?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suppose I'd ask what is the point of NATO with no USSR to stand against, and also which bit of the "North Atlantic" Ukraine is connected to?

I'd also ask what would the outcome of a plebiscite on Ukraine joining Russia be? As far as I can tell 51%+ would prefer to stay their own country so that's that in a way.

I'd also say to you that I hope the Russians love their children too 😬

I suppose I'd ask what is the point of NATO with no USSR to stand against, and also which bit of the "North Atlantic" Ukraine is connected to?

I'd also ask what would the outcome of a plebiscite on Ukraine joining Russia be? As far as I can tell 51%+ would prefer to stay their own country so that's that in a way.

I'd also say to you that I hope the Russians love their children too 😬
Belongs in another thread but STING IS CANCELLED

military industrial complex comes to mind. fuck NATO.

great old punk tune about American paranoia -
"....the fear sets in, one they'll press the button, there's always a chance of a paranoid reaction, I don't want to hear your psychotic discussions because this could mean that you're afraid of the Russians..."
THE STIPHNOYDS - Afraid of the Russians (1979)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

1950–1990: why does nato exist? because of commies!
1990–1998: why does nato exist? because of... *shrugs*
1999–2022: why does nato exist? to... bomb serbia? to invade the north atlantic nation of afghanistan? and then... to... help invade iraq? except for a few of us? to interfere in... sierra leone? and mali? except for a few of us? and then bomb libya? to annoy putin? to maintain an existing bureaucracy? to sell weapons systems? to keep on existing forever through institutional inertia?

putin is a prick but you can see why he’s annoyed

1950–1990: why does nato exist? because of commies!
1990–1998: why does nato exist? because of... *shrugs*
1999–2022: why does nato exist? to... bomb serbia? to invade the north atlantic nation of afghanistan? and then... to... help invade iraq? except for a few of us? to interfere in... sierra leone? and mali? except for a few of us? and then bomb libya? to annoy putin? to maintain an existing bureaucracy? to sell weapons systems? to keep on existing forever through institutional inertia?

putin is a prick but you can see why he’s annoyed
so..... NATO needs a rebrand.
that'll be grand then.
just call them bastard squad or something.

C'mon now Ted. You don't need enemies to have a military. NATO is the military wing of The Western World

sure, totally benign, happy just doing a bit of marching and a few parades, never causes any trouble

I think it’s difficult for us to understand, historically, just how bonkers an organisation nato is

Leaving aside NATO / US aggression and all that, it's fair to ask why countries bordering Russia seem to regularly have anxiety about that border. Having talked to Ukrainians (admittedly Ukrainians that were living in the US at the time), Finns, and even Norwegians, one thing that's common is none of them particularly like having a border with Russia, it's consistently regarded as a headache at best.

I clicked on the website about whether the Brits were still at it in work and a Ukrainian woman noticed it and asked what that was about. I went through it, and she replied: The Russians are NEVER not at it.

If you're standing staring at a massive military force, headed up by a very dubious cunt who's running a criminal empire and has a history of rolling the tanks into your country and taking bits of it, it's understandable to be leery. But it's more than that, they are dictating what policies that country can take.

If the Brits decided to waltz into Donegal and decide it was theirs after all, and then decided they didn't like Ireland being in the EU or some shit, we'd be very clear in telling them to fuck off. (Donegal might be a bad example here, realistically Ireland wouldn't notice, find out years later and be vaguely thankful, but you get what I'm trying say.)

Leaving aside NATO / US aggression and all that, it's fair to ask why countries bordering Russia seem to regularly have anxiety about that border. Having talked to Ukrainians (admittedly Ukrainians that were living in the US at the time), Finns, and even Norwegians, one thing that's common is none of them particularly like having a border with Russia, it's consistently regarded as a headache at best.

I clicked on the website about whether the Brits were still at it in work and a Ukrainian woman noticed it and asked what that was about. I went through it, and she replied: The Russians are NEVER not at it.

If you're standing staring at a massive military force, headed up by a very dubious cunt who's running a criminal empire and has a history of rolling the tanks into your country and taking bits of it, it's understandable to be leery. But it's more than that, they are dictating what policies that country can take.

If the Brits decided to waltz into Donegal and decide it was theirs after all, and then decided they didn't like Ireland being in the EU or some shit, we'd be very clear in telling them to fuck off. (Donegal might be a bad example here, realistically Ireland wouldn't notice, find out years later and be vaguely thankful, but you get what I'm trying say.)
All true as far as I can see, but Ireland is a tax haven, not a geographical bulwark against America, it's in their interests to keep us politically stable.

Be interesting if that changed, what they would consider doing to us, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back