The Russian invasion of Ukraine (4 Viewers)

Leaving aside NATO / US aggression and all that, it's fair to ask why countries bordering Russia seem to regularly have anxiety about that border. Having talked to Ukrainians (admittedly Ukrainians that were living in the US at the time), Finns, and even Norwegians, one thing that's common is none of them particularly like having a border with Russia, it's consistently regarded as a headache at best.

I clicked on the website about whether the Brits were still at it in work and a Ukrainian woman noticed it and asked what that was about. I went through it, and she replied: The Russians are NEVER not at it.

If you're standing staring at a massive military force, headed up by a very dubious cunt who's running a criminal empire and has a history of rolling the tanks into your country and taking bits of it, it's understandable to be leery. But it's more than that, they are dictating what policies that country can take.

If the Brits decided to waltz into Donegal and decide it was theirs after all, and then decided they didn't like Ireland being in the EU or some shit, we'd be very clear in telling them to fuck off. (Donegal might be a bad example here, realistically Ireland wouldn't notice, find out years later and be vaguely thankful, but you get what I'm trying say.)
I think there's a difference between Russian borders with EU and non-EU countries though.

I was in Narva, Estonia, during the summer. There's a river dividing it from Russia and there's a bridge that serves as the border with checks on either side. From what I could see it was the Russians who were far more paranoid than the EU side. Sure, if a car or truck comes across the bridge it'll be searched from top to bottom, in either direction, but I only saw Russian boats patrolling the river. Not a single one from the Estonian side. There were 5 Estonian lads fishing in row-boats, lined up beside each other, and 10 meters away from them was a Russian police boat watching them like hawks. As if anyone is going to leg it to Russia if they didn't need to. There were people walking back and forth over the bridge with shopping bags, so I'd say there's an arrangement to allow locals move freely between the 2 countries.

I'd imagine the contrast between Narva and any point on the Russia/Ukraine border will be seriously different, the latter being far more hostile, and thats largely due to, both, history and the fact that Ukraine doesn't have a bloc of 26 countries to back it up.

I've a good pal from Finland. Those lads don't fear Russia at all. Sure didn't they beat them in a war!

Oh egg, you take every single massacre and go "this is normal, stop complaining"
Heh. There's a grain of truth in that, but only a very small one. To me it seems either dishonest or naive to think the existence of nato is bonkers. If Earth 2022 was a fictional setting for a geopolitical novel it wouldn't be plausible without military alliances like nato.

There was a joke:
Putin is sitting with senior party officials and the generals, and he's fucked off.
> This is bullshit gentlemen, WE ARE A FORCE NOT TO BE PLAYED WITH, we need demonstrate this to these pigs, I want my people to see our strength in front of the whole world. We nuke London at the end of the week.
> Official 1: Easy, easy, hold on there. 90% of my property portfolio is based in London, this will ruin me.
*general murmurs of agreement*
> Right, good point. FINE, we wipe out Manhattan!
> Official 2: Well, no, my daughter is in NYU, along with Comrade Michal's children, I've paid already for the next three semesters. We're not doing that, it's cost me a fortune.
> That's a good point. NYU does cost a fortune. Fine, let's just keep going down the list here...

So they work their way through the list, and very reasonable exceptions were brought for every target for the next four hours until it was agreed that they would bomb the ever loving shit out of some Russian village in the corner of Siberia.

Heh. There's a grain of truth in that, but only a very small one. To me it seems either dishonest or naive to think the existence of nato is bonkers. If Earth 2022 was a fictional setting for a geopolitical novel it wouldn't be plausible without military alliances like nato.
That's true, although it's not about the world we are in, but the world we want to be in, right? We live in a bonkers world, NATO is a bonkers organization that helped shape it, makes sense to me.

There was a joke:
Putin is sitting with senior party officials and the generals, and he's fucked off.
> This is bullshit gentlemen, WE ARE A FORCE NOT TO BE PLAYED WITH, we need demonstrate this to these pigs, I want my people to see our strength in front of the whole world. We nuke London at the end of the week.
> Official 1: Easy, easy, hold on there. 90% of my property portfolio is based in London, this will ruin me.
*general murmurs of agreement*
> Right, good point. FINE, we wipe out Manhattan!
> Official 2: Well, no, my daughter is in NYU, along with Comrade Michal's children, I've paid already for the next three semesters. We're not doing that, it's cost me a fortune.
> That's a good point. NYU does cost a fortune. Fine, let's just keep going down the list here...

So they work their way through the list, and very reasonable exceptions were brought for every target for the next four hours until it was agreed that they would bomb the ever loving shit out of some Russian village in the corner of Siberia.
My only issue with this joke is that they are still calling each other "comrade"? I know WE talk like they're still the commie enemies of freedom 🇺🇸, but I don't think THEY think they're still communists??

My only issue with this joke is that they are still calling each other "comrade"? I know WE talk like they're still the commie enemies of freedom 🇺🇸, but I don't think THEY think they're still communists??

I was told that some of the ancient military guys, or strict Party guys, still use a word that translates to comrade as a sort of black joke. But I was told this by an ancient military guy who left Russia at least 20 plus years ago.

I was told that some of the ancient military guys, or strict Party guys, still use a word that translates to comrade as a sort of black joke. But I was told this by an ancient military guy who left Russia at least 20 plus years ago.
Back then their entire economy didn't hinge on monetizing insane dash-cam footage.

Back then their entire economy didn't hinge on monetizing insane dash-cam footage.
It wasn't just dash-cam footage, they had tactical foldable shovels too.

The guy in question brought his tactical shovel into work one day to show me. Past security.

"You kyan keep this edge sharp. Is ferocious weapon. Kyan also use for digging. Always leave in trunk of car."

Borat in real life shit.

members of the SPD in germany still call each other comrade, as part of their century-long effort to irritate communists

Ah. I 'm not 100% sure you mean by "it", but if you mean what I think you mean then I obviously disagree
"We live in a bonkers world. NATO is a bonkers organization that helped shape it."

"It" refers to the bonkers world that we live in. I wasn't trying to be difficult! I have no idea what you think I mean because I didn't know that what I wrote was confusing.

edit: oh wait, you mean the OTHER it. God i'm confusing myself.

ok, so you said

"If Earth 2022 was a fictional setting for a geopolitical novel it wouldn't be plausible without military alliances like nato."

and I said

"although it's not about the world we are in, but the world we want to be in, right"

MEANING, that if we are to think about the world as it is right now, or as it would be described if the world was a sci-fi setup (which was your premise), then I AGREE with you, that NATO would be there, but that that doesn't mean that NATO isn't bonkers, because the world is bonkers and NATO helped shape it.

It wasn't just dash-cam footage, they had tactical foldable shovels too.

The guy in question brought his tactical shovel into work one day to show me. Past security.

"You kyan keep this edge sharp. Is ferocious weapon. Kyan also use for digging. Always leave in trunk of car."

Borat in real life shit.
Class. Sure it's not too far from a teacher carrying a hurley around, of which I had more than one.

Last edited:
I remember a friend of mine doing a PHD in Anthropology and calling a meeting with some fellow scholars with the proposal of starting a journal with a very banal name like "Living and Culture" or something, and the whole thing got bogged down in that first meeting when one of them spent the whole time trying to discuss what he meant by "and".

Last edited:
Probably suits sleepy Joe, in a mid-term year where a lot of his plans were stymied by the GOP and a couple of his own Senators, for the threat of war to be looming.

Not actual war though, they're tired of that after getting out of Afghanistan.

Boris would nuke Donetsk to distract from Downing St parties.

Probably suits sleepy Joe, in a mid-term year where a lot of his plans were stymied by the GOP and a couple of his own Senators, for the threat of war to be looming.

Not actual war though, they're tired of that after getting out of Afghanistan.

Boris would nuke Donetsk to distract from Downing St parties.
All total bluster on the US's part? Biden got hit heavily by both the Republicans and the liberal establishment wing of the Democrats over Afghanistan, so this is just them looking tough, but they won't actually go all in on a real war? I figure I'd buy that.

All total bluster on the US's part? Biden got hit heavily by both the Republicans and the liberal establishment wing of the Democrats over Afghanistan, so this is just them looking tough, but they won't actually go all in on a real war? I figure I'd buy that.

If Russia goes into Ukraine properly I don't see Americas being able to stop itself.

If they do it like they did with Crimea "those aren't our soldiers *wink*" war could probably be avoidable.

Am far less informed about Russian domestic affairs (as in, almost utterly ignorant) than the US, what's Vlad trying to distract his peoiple from? I think Obama pissed him off when he referred to Russia as a regional power, but would he really want war? He's a 69 year old multi-billionarie, you'd think he'd want to stop and enjoy his money at some point.

If Russia goes into Ukraine properly I don't see Americas being able to stop itself.

If they do it like they did with Crimea "those aren't our soldiers *wink*" war could probably be avoidable.

Am far less informed about Russian domestic affairs (as in, almost utterly ignorant) than the US, what's Vlad trying to distract his peoiple from? I think Obama pissed him off when he referred to Russia as a regional power, but would he really want war? He's a 69 year old multi-billionarie, you'd think he'd want to stop and enjoy his money at some point.

Are the oligarchs that own him not wanting more oil, gas, and also lithium, uranium and whatever else Ukraine have?

That's my guess but sure who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back