General election 2020 (10 Viewers)

How were all the local authority houses built in the first place? Did the state/corpo actually employ builders? Or did they hire developers like @7 - No tomorrow 's crowd?

pete said:
I grew up in a corpo house. Tens of thousands of them were built when the country wasn’t exactly an economic powerhouse. I am a simple man and I don’t understand why we can’t do that again.

I should post that RTE documentary about housing a few more times just in case someone might listen to it.

You should have.

I never got any pro lifers calling to my door which really annoyed me because I had loads of counter arguments ready.
I got one group and I totally choked and just mumbled something about us not agreeing and no i disagree that it's murder and please go away.

I should post that RTE documentary about housing a few more times just in case someone might listen to it.

I enjoyed it, the Irishtimes article I posted yonks back along with the accompanying podcast were good as well.

How were all the local authority houses built in the first place? Did the state/corpo actually employ builders? Or did they hire developers like @7 - No tomorrow 's crowd?

My old man used to work for the National Building Agency who used to be responsible for the construction of lots of the corpo housing around the city (and country I think). They would have employed planners, architects etc but would, as far as I remember anyway, have contracted the actual building out to developers (rather than employing them directly). I suspect though, that those builders and developers probably did little else but that (semi) state-sponsored work as there was a lot of it going.

I grew up in a corpo house. Tens of thousands of them were built when the country wasn’t exactly an economic powerhouse. I am a simple man and I don’t understand why we can’t do that again.

My undertsanding is that those houses were very cheap spec to build, there was essentially free land everywhere, and labour cost half nothing.
Not saying we shouldn't do it, just that it's a very different proposition.

We used to build hospitals too. Look how that's going lately.

I think they hired builders/general contractors - the local authority were the developers.
I could stand to be corrected here.

The number I have heard thrown out for the cost of building a standard house from scratch is 180,000 euro. Everything else is land prices and profit.

The number I have heard thrown out for the cost of building a standard house from scratch is 180,000 euro. Everything else is land prices and profit.
Most of the larger QS firms publish cost data like this

Often based off the SCSI, who have their own indices

But figuring 200 euro/sqm and figure about 95 sqm for a 3-bed semi and 180k is about right - if a little light

-----------------------------------------

ETA
The unions here work with us - Boston is strictly union - but they will do things like "market recovery" where they will subsidise a wage rate where they recognise that open shop competition might mess them up. And they will create new disciplines within trades (wood framers get paid a lower rate than regular carpenters, but still great jobs) to make projects more viable. Most of this is on land teh City owns though - where they're tearing down old WWII era low-spec public housing and putting up all new modern homes. Boston is proactive though - can't speak for anywhere else.

Last edited:
huh, with the elimination of noel rock (FG) in dubNW, the PBP candidate has leapfrogged the FF candidate - i would have guessed the FG votes would transfer to FF quicker than PBP, but that doesn't seem to be the case?
if this pans out, i think it will be one of the constituencies without an FF or FG TD.

Noel Rock is from Ballymun, there may have been an element of "we don't vote FG he's local" to his vote.

I got one group and I totally choked and just mumbled something about us not agreeing and no i disagree that it's murder and please go away.

I was on the opposite end of this, a man burst out of his house when we knocked on the door and started shouting "why do you want to kill babies?" over and over at us.

He was funny, the worst comment from a pro-lifer was "I've a sick child inside, do you want to go in and finish the job?"

The actual most upsetting things I heard was from yes-voters, older women.

Present count is about 6 left/indies off a grand left being a numerical possibility.

I've been saying this is an outlier since day one so spare me the 'it'll be FFG stuff', I've never thought it has been likely, its more a case that it is pretty monumental that it is a possibility for the first time in the history of the state.

Kinda hoping someone else will analyse the left transfer so I don't end up doing it.

Present count is about 6 left/indies off a grand left being a numerical possibility.

I've been saying this is an outlier since day one so spare me the 'it'll be FFG stuff', I've never thought it has been likely, its more a case that it is pretty monumental that it is a possibility for the first time in the history of the state.

Kinda hoping someone else will analyse the left transfer so I don't end up doing it.

on a rough count about 5-9 might show up in the next few hours.

Also if I never seee a tweet from YFG again I'll be a happy ann.

And it will never not bother me when (especially journos) refer to seats in terms of people who had them previously, like there is some predetermined order that must be adhered to.

Watching the Donegal transfers is riveting stuff.

Hahaha - for sure. I hope the recount rumour stops, unless Th.P is losing, then recount everything.

edit: oh and on that topic, if one younger rep from an establishment party had stepped aside earlier to allow his transfers into the mix then the race would have probably ruled out one standout independent on transfers, but for some reason they've hung on and created a competition within their own representation. Lets hope they don't learn from this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back