General election 2020 (7 Viewers)

i think coppinger was marmite for many people. so not as transfer friendly as she might have been.
Well yes, and it's a strange constituency stretching from the Georgian Village to whatever the Westies equivalent is these days, Joe Higgins lost his seat in 2007 and regained in 2011. She was my number 1 but her campaign seemed a bit iffy, lots of promises like free transport that aren't going to happen and I figure probably put people off, similar to Labour's promises in the UK. A massive loss though imho

But my point was more to all the folk online telling the world that this is definitive left-leaning election when the Sinn Fein transfer votes are going all over the shop.

i was out that direction yesterday for the first time since the election began i think (definitely first time i saw her posters anyway), and i thought it was an odd approach. not so much 'vote for me!' but 'think of what will happen if you don't, de wimmin and de jobs!' which seemed cack-handed and presuming a loss.

But my point was more to all the folk online telling the world that this is definitive left-leaning election when the Sinn Fein transfer votes are going all over the shop.

I think its a real combo, as expected. In Lots of constituencies, SF transfer votes did go to PBP-Solidarity. In others, more bizarre directions. I think, without a doubt, a vast majority of younger people did vote left, transfer left, but I also know a lot of older Sinn Feiners who are surprisingly socially conservative (Talked to several older folk in Navan who were giving their #1 to Guirk for example, and their #2 for Peader fucking Toibin LOL. But their reasoning was local! They've always voted for Peader, they want the train, etc.), or are SF votes primarily because of the nationalism factor. I think its a bit GOTCHA to be like, SEE, THIS WHOLE VOTE LEFT TRANSFER LEFT THING IS BULLSHIT BECAUSE these transfers when clearly for a huge volume of new SF voters, that WAS the case.

Related and unrelated, really really gutted over Ruth, especially because of Jack fucking Chambers. My friend says the constituency has some really strongly conservative pockets - don't know too much about it, its your constituency too?

I think its a real combo, as expected. In Lots of constituencies, SF transfer votes did go to PBP-Solidarity. In others, more bizarre directions. I think, without a doubt, a vast majority of younger people did vote left, transfer left, but I also know a lot of older Sinn Feiners who are surprisingly socially conservative (Talked to several older folk in Navan who were giving their #1 to Guirk for example, and their #2 for Peader fucking Toibin LOL. But their reasoning was local! They've always voted for Peader, they want the train, etc.), or are SF votes primarily because of the nationalism factor. I think its a bit GOTCHA to be like, SEE, THIS WHOLE VOTE LEFT TRANSFER LEFT THING IS BULLSHIT BECAUSE these transfers when clearly for a huge volume of new SF voters, that WAS the case.
Sure yeah, I'm not trying to gotcha anyone here, I mean the young vote in the UK was definitively left and look where it got them, we still need to get all the dreadful older people who have given up on society on board.

Like in the UK (and US) I hope we're at the start of something, not the end (aside from neoliberalism of course). We're at the end of the end of history and there is a possibility for such thing as society again.

Related and unrelated, really really gutted over Ruth, especially because of Jack fucking Chambers. My friend says the constituency has some really strongly conservative pockets - don't know too much about it, its your constituency too?

Yeah, very diverse constituency. Castleknock is a solid rich person conservative area, I saw a lot of pro-life stuff around there at the time.

I mean, I walked around the Georgian Village recently just to gawk at the wealth

But we also have the endless housing estate sprawl around the blanch shopping center, Corduff, Mulhuddort, Ongar etc. etc.

Yeah, Laura said they had a lot of folks dropping in canvassing for Ruth but she's in a more working class area (Hartstown)

My #1 is still hanging in there but not looking too good. The Labour and SD candidates have just been eliminated so should see a good few transfers from them but not sure if it'll be enough.

So, do you think FG will push FF towards a FF/SF coalition, with the notion that FF will be eaten alive by SF, and the next generation of Irish politics will be a straight FG/SF rivalry?

My 4 and 5 have been elected, I presume my transfer helped Chris Andrews reach quota. Would have loved to see the back of Eoghan Murphy but can take solace in Kate O'Connell being out. Also EM and Jim O'Callaghan didn't reach quota.

So, do you think FG will push FF towards a FF/SF coalition, with the notion that FF will be eaten alive by SF, and the next generation of Irish politics will be a straight FG/SF rivalry?
The RTE talking heads seem to be saying that FG will step back slightly
Let FF try and make something happen with SF - which FG feel can only be good for them, long term, whether it happens or not
And for FG to be available for a grand coalition if FF come begging

Personally, I'm in a position where I have no idea what will happen
And also not really sure what I want to happen

The solution to housing is relatively easy - borrow a shit ton of money and build houses
Yes, and remove the incentives to buy housing as an investment.

The solution to health is - well no one seems to know what it fecking is
It's not as easy as money though - we spend a fucking fortune and we're trolley city
Does anyone know on here know about actual possible solutions here? I assume you begin by getting rid of the two-tier system.

My dad spent 30 years working for the department of health and just laughs anytime I ask him what should be done.

Does anyone know on here know about actual possible solutions here? I assume you begin by getting rid of the two-tier system.

How do you do it without many of the consultants fucking off elsewhere? I don't think it's a circle that can be squared unless they are offered massive money to give up/severely curtail private practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back