General election 2020 (4 Viewers)

I chatting to a (non local) TD before Christmas and mentioned that the pub was for sale . She asked would we not think of renting the place out and having Ukrainians in.
The place is the back arse of nowhere, nearest bus stop is a 10 min drive and same with shops etc.
I don’t know if she expected us to have them sleeping on the pool table or what, but I was very confused by the whole thing.

I chatting to a (non local) TD before Christmas and mentioned that the pub was for sale . She asked would we not think of renting the place out and having Ukrainians in.
The place is the back arse of nowhere, nearest bus stop is a 10 min drive and same with shops etc.
I don’t know if she expected us to have them sleeping on the pool table or what, but I was very confused by the whole thing.

The house next door has been vacant for a couple of years since the previous owner passed away. Left it to her daughters who don't seem to want to sell it. I heard last year they were planning on moving Ukrainians in. I've no issue with that but I live 3.5 miles into the countryside and there's no bus to the village. It'd be hard for them in terms of amenities without a vehicle.

In the end it was taken by someone who could easier get to/from the gaff.

Some of the places currently being protested would be illegal to rent out as a home in any other situation. Not to mention the people in tents!

Dingle Peninsula Hotel is being used around here, which probably isn't amazing but at least it's a hotel! I think it's been closed since the pandemic, certainly it hadn't been open for as long as I've been here. It's kind of cheery to see it in use, with the Ukrainian flags outside it. And theres a sparse but dependable local link bus service. I'd say they're having a hell of a better time than many.

Here's a bit of a story:

Last edited:
The hotel in ballyvaughan is very chill too. One of those internet provocation men was online talking about the town being at breaking point and me actually being there regular can tell you that it's got the same chill atmosphere it always had, and a bit of bustle with the new folks hanging around.

I'm trying to get the family to buy into buying something like this and making it habitable

All people can see are problems though
Some great stone there!

There was a cool place going around here, 250k, about 4 connected houses, make one habitable and then live in it as you do up the rest and then sure you're in tourist country all the way to the bank.

Not that I have 250k knocking about.

I think it was finally bought a few months back, after about 3 years, someone doing work on it now.

This place has a solid roof and walls - rare at this price
You need windows and and drylining and power hooked up.
Supposedly has septic - from the listing.
You could get it warm and habitable in 6 months with serious effort.

You'd fit a family or two that desperately need it in there.
And you'd have done something worthwhile with your time.

This place has a solid roof and walls - rare at this price
You need windows and and drylining and power hooked up.
Supposedly has septic - from the listing.
You could get it warm and habitable in 6 months with serious effort.

You'd fit a family or two that desperately need it in there.
And you'd have done something worthwhile with your time.

Assuming those are bathrooms in the extensions, you could probably do an en suite on either side at the back. The attic is massive too. two hour walk to the bus though

I'm trying to get the family to buy into buying something like this and making it habitable

All people can see are problems though

that's the standard template for country national schools from the 40s and 50s. Just looking at the way the gate is set up brings the nostalgia welling up for me. would have had jaxes on the back corners. never saw a stone build one - normal some flavor of block/poured concrete and pebble dash.

a lot a lot of work to get that habitable. the flat roof on the back would be solid RE concrete, low ceilings. damp pissing through at this point, and potentially spalling I'd say.

You'd have septic tank, yeah, 1947 standard. probably just draining into a nearby stream.

But a cool project. (sorry for just seeing the problems)

Assuming those are bathrooms in the extensions, you could probably do an en suite on either side at the back. The attic is massive too. two hour walk to the bus though

Probably the type of place for people that can handle walking or biking
That's not everyone, I know

that's the standard template for country national schools from the 40s and 50s. Just looking at the way the gate is set up brings the nostalgia welling up for me. would have had jaxes on the back corners. never saw a stone build one - normal some flavor of block/poured concrete and pebble dash.

a lot a lot of work to get that habitable. the flat roof on the back would be solid RE concrete, low ceilings. damp pissing through at this point, and potentially spalling I'd say.

You'd have septic tank, yeah, 1947 standard. probably just draining into a nearby stream.

But a cool project. (sorry for just seeing the problems)

No - all good stuff, man

You'd-need-to-do-this problems are fine and helpful

We-can't-do-it-cos-this problems are defeatist and less useful

Often the same problems tho!

Last edited:
I think 6 months is realistic to liveable, if you dont have a job but somehow have money :)
Figure the same again on the purchase price in materials
Could cobble together the purchase price somehow
Beg borrow and steal the materials
Pressgang people into donating labour

ANyways, if anything comes about it, you'll know
Cos I won't be able to shut up

that's a bit conservative - you'd go through half it on windows and doors, more if you want the greta proof ones
I have a connect on the windows
Not super super cheap, but I can get them at trade cost
And I know how to install them properly

But yeah, always a major cost, and a design decision - do you just go with code or take the pain now and future proof the fucker

I think - don't know for sure - that you could get that yoke close to passive standard
I just don't know if Siga or whoever do internal air/vapour barriers for stone walls

Anyways, sorry to hijack the thread when this probably belongs in the Ireland thread

Y'know this whole business of "they're destroying their documents on the flight in to the country, we don't know who they are?"

Presumably the people in this scenario had to have documents to get on to the plane.

So there's a reasonable chance of knowing who they are, the passenger manifest would be available to the authorities.

I don't know how many people might or might not be doing this and how many might be on a particular flight, but it can be narrowed down to a small group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back