freebird records (3 Viewers)

It's very much legal. A shop only has to take something back if it is unfit for the purpose for which it was bought, and I don't think not liking the CD will wash. And even then, the shop is under no obligation to refund your money if they can either repair or replace the faulty purchase.

yeah you're definately right, they're not obliged to give you a refund, but I believe they have to at least give you an exchange when you have a valid receipt

Ditto references to Comets 88-92 heyday. That was when DTK was doing the rounds too.

Actually that reminds of the one time I did try and exchange a record - despite my earlier post about never doing it.

DTK was good but one day I bought Lush's Gala LP, handed over the money and moved to one side to allow him serve someone else. I pulled the record out of the bag to have a look at it. From reading the sleeve I realised that I had all the tracks [bar one] on their three previous 12" singles. So I asked him could I get something else instead.

"No."

"I just paid for it 90 seconds ago. I haven't left the shop. I made a mistake."

"No."

I stand corrected!

You have no rights under the Sale of Goods Act if you simply change your mind about wanting the goods. You also have no rights if faults are due to misuse of the product after purchase, or if faults should have been seen on examination or were pointed out at the time of purchase.

Fair enough :) i've been lied to! Apologies G!!

Actually that reminds of the one time I did try and exchange a record - despite my earlier post about never doing it.

DTK was good but one day I bought Lush's Gala LP, handed over the money and moved to one side to allow him serve someone else. I pulled the record out of the bag to have a look at it. From reading the sleeve I realised that I had all the tracks [bar one] on their three previous 12" singles. So I asked him could I get something else instead.

"No."

"No."

see that guy was just being a douche..I think the problem is that nowadays so many shops, like marks or penneys, give refunds for returned items that people think they are entitled to them..Over Christmas I got the usual "my sister is a barrister blah blah blah"..But I think for the sake of a minute, before someone has even left the shop there has to be some discretion..

Pwned5.jpg

"No."

"No."

Never have so many been made so angry by so few... Derek DTK can eat his fat. Muttley can help him.

On the topic:
Best memories of Freebird are from Grafton St days, saved up bus fares for Rainbow and iron Maiden.. jumpers for goalposts..

As regards SBR (not been in Cope st) my only gripe is that the 2nd hand A-Z Cd section is demoralisingly big. More genre types or a new arrivals section would definitely have me in more frequently. I do like the shop tho.

My experience in the past of bringing in my own stock was not great but if there's enthusiasm for it now I'm glad to hear it.

I see the idea of an Irish indie section as a point of pride rather than as a ghetto for what it's worth.

Used records are definately priced too high in dublin. Generally,I find Spin Dizzy the best for used records.
The turnover of stock in freebird seems pretty slow. But there's a limit to how much the shop can do about this. Without selling ,new stock can't be bought,without buying,stock won't sell so quick. Chicken or egg?

I probably don't go in as often as I should. But I've not found so much stuff to my taste there of late so that's probably why. If I see Phil working I pop in as I've known him for years.

I don't really have much to add as it all really comes down to stock,but the issue with stock is customers and they're not buying so much.

Out of curiosity,what distributers do you get from? I don't know if that's a question for a message board though. I used to order into road quite regular and need somewhere new to do so.

I always liked new stock on the wall-Spin Dizzy does this. Changing it regular can suggest new stock is in etc and encourage people (who look in the first place) to look a little more past the first few familiar records in the racks.

Hopefully,people won't be all talk with the loss of Road and will actually support the few record shops we have left. Enough people spending even 20 or 30euro a month could probably make all the difference.

Used records are definately priced too high in dublin. Generally,I find Spin Dizzy the best for used records.
The turnover of stock in freebird seems pretty slow. But there's a limit to how much the shop can do about this. Without selling ,new stock can't be bought,without buying,stock won't sell so quick. Chicken or egg?

I probably don't go in as often as I should. But I've not found so much stuff to my taste there of late so that's probably why. If I see Phil working I pop in as I've known him for years.

I don't really have much to add as it all really comes down to stock,but the issue with stock is customers and they're not buying so much.

Out of curiosity,what distributers do you get from? I don't know if that's a question for a message board though. I used to order into road quite regular and need somewhere new to do so.

I always liked new stock on the wall-Spin Dizzy does this. Changing it regular can suggest new stock is in etc and encourage people (who look in the first place) to look a little more past the first few familiar records in the racks.

Hopefully,people won't be all talk with the loss of Road and will actually support the few record shops we have left. Enough people spending even 20 or 30euro a month could probably make all the difference.
yeah dude i figure youre probably not exactly catered for in the shop.

drop me a PM with some stuff youre looking to get and ill check if i can or not. we have a couple of distros.

Does the shop actively hunt out collections for used vinyl? Obviously the money has to be there to buy it. But I know some shops visit people to price and potentially buy collections. This can be a good way of having a good stock turnover.

we do sometimes. but mainly with CDs. a lot of our vinyl is in storage and has been accumulated over the years and is brought out weekly. I'd say we sell 30-50 2nd records per week. which is replaced weekly too. so turnover ain't toooo bad.

As regards SBR (not been in Cope st) my only gripe is that the 2nd hand A-Z Cd section is demoralisingly big. More genre types or a new arrivals section would definitely have me in more frequently. I do like the shop tho.

i'd agree with this. i was in there the other day and barely scanned the 2nd hand cds. if i'd seen a new arrivals section i would've gone straight for it and probably kept on looking.

we do sometimes. but mainly with CDs. a lot of our vinyl is in storage and has been accumulated over the years and is brought out weekly. I'd say we sell 30-50 2nd records per week. which is replaced weekly too. so turnover ain't toooo bad.

I'd love to get a look at those records in storage!

diarmuid/hoovering,
well, we have 2nd hand broken up into A to Z, metal, punk, country, folk, trad, world, classical, rap/hiphop/r&b, reggae, dance, electronic.

and a new arrivals section in 2nd hand? wouldn't really work in SBR at least because tonnes of new stuff goes out every day. so the top 2/3 CDs on the shelf are new ones.
as far as I know we have a new arrivals 2nd hand shelf in cope st as there is less trunover there.

I'd love to get a look at those records in storage!
dude, if that was possible...it's in a tiny storeroom..

a selection of it made an appearance at the record fair.

maybe sometime soon we could do a special weekend in SBR where we could take the stock out to the tables where the books are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back