freebird records (1 Viewer)

I can totally see where you're coming from, and I know there's listening stations etc in the store but it I'm pretty sure it aint legal to refuse a return with a valid receipt. Freebird isn't the only store facing the same problem, so I can't see why it's one rule for Freebird and another for everyone else.

What I loved about stores like Freebird was the whole blind purchase buzz. Granted, I've returned precious few cds in my life, but if I don't like a cd i buy, and I cant return it in perfect nick with a valid receipt just coz the people behind the counter don't know me then I'll go elsewhere.

I know it sounds like i'm being a dick over it, and it's really not my intention to have a go or anything, but I just found the sign to be very off-putting and felt it implied that we were all looked at as thieving jippos if we wanted to return a cd. knowwhati'msayin?

Ditto about the books and music working well together. It also means you get a different type of passing trade, which is probably more likely to buy stuff. I think that's a great way to get people in, but also to create a nice refuge from the insanity of Grafton St.

Is there any way to set up something like what they did in the UK? Or that indie record stores could link their stock on a central site, take a leaf from ABEbooks?

There are a lot of similarities with this and independent bookstores. Obviously the difference is that record stores are competing, not just with cheaper big-box stores, but with free downloads -- it's just a little bit parallel in the incompatibility of business models between the independent and the chain. What a Borders or Hodges Figgis is selling as a 3.99 loss leader, you're still selling at full price or just below because you don't work that way. HMV or Amazon can sell for half what you charge, not just because they can buy in bulk but because they are deliberately undercutting the independents and that their business model is nothing like one that actually works.

I love the idea of stuff like free coffee, but that's not gonna save the business. A gimmick will temporarily raise foot traffic, but there has to be a bigger change. In the 'boom', businesses were using credit as their cashflow, and that's caught up with a lot of people and killed off some bad businesses, but the problem is, it also became the norm to operate on money you just don't have. I suspect that a lot of small record stores who have closed are in a lot LESS debt than larger companies who are still operating. That's probably not much consolation, but the point is, those bigger stores are probably not doing a whole lot better financially, they're just less afraid to drive themselves into debt and walk away from it like a bunch of douches.

The small record stores still rely on the existence of an industry that, although a necessary evil, is now collapsing and taking the stores with it. I dunno how it is that anyone can decouple the small, good record stores from the dying, evil industry, but I like to think it's possible. One thing you could look at is how a store like Newbury Comics in Boston (and now all over New England) survives and actually does incredibly well. Some of it is down to selling non-music stuff, but that can't be all of it. They're still located in some of the most high-rent property in the city, and a few bobblehead Ozzys don't fully explain that. Call them or something. See if they have any good advice for you. They survived on one of the poshest streets in town, with a MASSIVE GIGANTIC Tower Records about ten doors away, and that Tower is gone now.

Maybe some of it is down to stuff like bands (and not just small local bands) releasing special album versions that will only be distributed to small indie shops (I'm talking about stuff like special inserts and other things that are not really open to filesharing). Local bands have always had a mutual reliance on the small indie store that helped them start, but all bands are local bands, and I think they could use their clout as artists, not industry tools, to help save the shops who helped them get where they are. Also, the industry has made themselves look like such pieces of shit that they might even allow the labels to go along with it, even if to them it's just a PR exercise.

Other ideas that probably sound lame:

* Invite yourself places where there are people talking about independent business. Give talks at schools about starting your own business, and point out the value of independent business in the community, and of what it means to have a shop as a social service, not just a commercial one. I don't mean just as a propaganda mission, but they're getting hugely mixed messages in school, and I'd say it would go down REALLY well because it's WAY cooler than someone talking about a boring business.

* Talk to the Enterprise Board. They don't maybe know about specifics in your shop or DIY culture, but they do have some pretty good ideas, and you can just take them and translate them into DIY language to see what works for you. They also see it as in their interest to support local businesses to be profitable.

* The big-box stores are falling on their fat, ugly faces left and right. They got too big to survive, and it might be useful to look into what made that happen, then do the opposite. Do shit that the big guys can't do, beyond the personal touches and the free coffee.

* Organise some kind of brainstorming thing with indie record stores in Ireland. Get together and come up with something. You're not really in competition with each other, or at least, it's not in anyone's interest that any more of these stores close down. A lot of it is down to price and to convenience. You can only compete so much with the bigger distros when it comes to that, so you have to be cheaper and more convenient in some other way.

* Think of any ways you can to get kids to really experience the value of a relationship with a local record store. They'll still myspace and download, and those have been really good resources for a lot of bands and a lot of people looking for new music. Can you organise stuff like local artists giving free guitar workshops, talks about the basics of home recording, workshops on live band photography to teenagers in the store on a Saturday afternoon?

Sorry. I am an asshole. Probably you have already thought of all of these things.

I can totally see where you're coming from, and I know there's listening stations etc in the store but it I'm pretty sure it aint legal to refuse a return with a valid receipt. Freebird isn't the only store facing the same problem, so I can't see why it's one rule for Freebird and another for everyone else.

What I loved about stores like Freebird was the whole blind purchase buzz. Granted, I've returned precious few cds in my life, but if I don't like a cd i buy, and I cant return it in perfect nick with a valid receipt just coz the people behind the counter don't know me then I'll go elsewhere.

I know it sounds like i'm being a dick over it, and it's really not my intention to have a go or anything, but I just found the sign to be very off-putting and felt it implied that we were all looked at as thieving jippos if we wanted to return a cd. knowwhati'msayin?
yes of course but this is why its difficult. unfortunately a rule has to apply to everyone dude. and as far as i know, its kosher if its stated somewhere that we cant take refunds, but dont hold me to that. and like you say, these days we only get people looking for refunds very very rarely so its never really an issue.

I really like the Secret Book and Record Store and think it is an ideal size for doing more interesting things with. The staff are sound, but there is no real draw to the place itself, as the stock does not seem to turnaround that often. The Books MUST stay though!

It is similar shape and size to a record shop I used to go to in Sydney (ten years ago!) except they had a complete back wall of band t-shirts hung on the wall( Sebadoh, Apples in Stereo, Dirty Three etc - ones you could normally only get on the Net or at gigs), another wall of really cool gig posters for sale (YO La Tengo, Pavement, Low etc). I often see deadly promotional posters of bands in recordshops, but they are never for sale. I'd pay cash!

This shop (probably had plenty of money behind it) also issued a monthly Totally Dublin type free mag, with recommendations, reviews, interviews with local/ touring bands and news on what was going on in the shop.

There was always a buzz in the place, with fairly frequent in store gigs, band signings etc. It was somewhere to definitly go to at least once a week.

Its probably closed down now!

hehe. we actually thought of the coffee thing a while back. can you imagine the chaos of doing that in a tiny store like cope street?!
we could have a section:
HALF PRICE, SOAKED IN COFFEE.

i do have a crackpot idea involving one or more of the stores, but i need to consult my boss and relevant parties about it before saying anything.

this is great stuff by the way guys. im taking all of this very seriously. the boss is away this week but ill be having a good chat with him when he is back.

I'm pretty sure it aint legal to refuse a return with a valid receipt.

It's very much legal. A shop only has to take something back if it is unfit for the purpose for which it was bought, and I don't think not liking the CD will wash. And even then, the shop is under no obligation to refund your money if they can either repair or replace the faulty purchase.

I'd imagine owning the building would really make a difference. I remember being in a shop in Texas a few times that was extremely quiet. Nobody else in there on the four visits I made. The proprietor said that he owned the building and made enough money to cover food and beer. He didn't employ anyone else.

Anyway
- re Freebird.

I often wonder how difficult it is to focus on both new and used records? Given that they have two stores how would this work - one concentrating on new records and the other covering used discs?

I think the combined book shop and record shop that SBRT has going for is really good and has tons of potential. If they could be integrated a bit better it would probably help .... it is very much a case of a book shop at one end/a record shop at the other, that are just kind of randomly cohabiting.

I have no idea how to achieve that integration when they are two entirely separate businesses though ...

Here, instores would be cool in that space .. there's loads of room.

I'd imagine owning the building would really make a difference. I remember being in a shop in Texas a few times that was extremely quiet. Nobody else in there on the four visits I made. The proprietor said that he owned the building and made enough money to cover food and beer. He didn't employ anyone else.

Anyway
- re Freebird.

I often wonder how difficult it is to focus on both new and used records? Given that they have two stores how would this work - one concentrating on new records and the other covering used discs?
thats not a bad idea dude. we've always tried to have a divide between the two but usually in terms of 'niche' i guess. although cope street is far more vinyl orientated. although personally i think the SB&RS's 2nd hand vinyl is better selected.

thing is though, usually a sale would comprise of say, 1 new c.d and 2 second hand cds..so im not sure if splitting it is convenient.

yes of course but this is why its difficult. unfortunately a rule has to apply to everyone dude. and as far as i know, its kosher if its stated somewhere that we cant take refunds, but dont hold me to that. and like you say, these days we only get people looking for refunds very very rarely so its never really an issue.

Yeah, you could be totally right dude, if it's on signs around the shop. My understanding was that it was law, but i've been wrong before :)

I dunno, I just didn't find it a particularly cool thing to have plastered around the shop. Was kinda like "yeah we'll take your custom, but we won't entertain you after that" ya know?

But anyway, to be more constructive, I always like the idea of an Irish Indie rack in stores. I know from working in Tower that tourists often come in looking for Irish stuff that's not Enya and the like, so it'd be cool to be able to plonk them in front of a rack and tell them to dive in and have a proper browse at what we have to offer.

Another thing would be to try and keep a close eye on the prices of second hand stuff. I know second hand stores don't make too much but I've often seen a second hand cd for €9 that I can get new down the road for €10. I know it can be hard to do but there's a load of titles out there that are ALWAYS €10 or so in the shops so it'd be worth keeping an eye on them and pricing them accordingly. €5 in the till is better than a potential €9 sitting on a shelf for eternity.

thats not a bad idea dude. we've always tried to have a divide between the two but usually in terms of 'niche' i guess. although cope street is far more vinyl orientated. although personally i think the SB&RS's 2nd hand vinyl is better selected.

thing is though, usually a sale would comprise of say, 1 new c.d and 2 second hand cds..so im not sure if splitting it is convenient.

yeah, see what you mean. I'd often buy a mixture of both when I frequented Eden Quay,

this is great stuff by the way guys. im taking all of this very seriously. the boss is away this week but ill be having a good chat with him when he is back.

Rad.

I love Jim Daniels's idea about the limited-edition merch and stuff. Here's an idea: there could be an event where bands past and present (and not just Irish ones, lots of foreign bands have amazing relationships with the Irish music scene) can see what they've got from their back catalogues and maybe sell it to you at cost to sell on. Even if it's not at a cheap cost, if people can't get it online, they'll come in. Also, people are more likely to want to check the condition of stuff like that, so more likely to buy it in a shop where they can.

We old folks already love our local record store because of what it means to us, but we are all old and fat and lazy and no longer are reliable customers the way we once were. If it doesn't mean as much to 'the kids' now, then it's important to find ways to help them make it feel like their own deadly and awesome place to go. Kids might like to get their shit online a lot now, but all teenagers love to get the fuck out of their houses and go into town with their mates.

Oh oh oh! You can screen deadly documentaries and old concert footage during the day, maybe? Getting them to stay longer might not get them to buy more per visit, but it will make them realise how they like buying stuff from you. There's no point in trying to get kids to stop downloading for free. They won't. It's a big, bad mixtape ring (but worse, obviously, because the copies are made off far fewer originals).

But a lot of smaller bands have established a more direct relationship with the music fans, which means that it's up to small record stores to find ways to remain part of the equation.

Oh, and I want to reiterate the pricing thing with the secondhand vinyl.

Oh! And what about stuff like readings by authors who have a music connection? Band/scene memoirs, or novels by rock n' roll people?

Sorry. SBR is one of my favourite spots in the city. I want to make sure it never goes away.

Ditto references to Comets 88-92 heyday. That was when DTK was doing the rounds too. That was a great shop.
One thing I used to love about the old Freebird was its (apparent?) fixed price on 2nd hand records, with maybe the odd 4.99 instead of 3.99 on the obviously more valuable ones. It gave you an edge on the 2nd hand shoppers. I presume it meant you had a relatively flat buying policy too, but this could work better with bulk sellers, when they know the score?
In these times, it may be the way to go. I'd always go to the place where I think there's a good turnover and the chance of getting a cracking LP for a very fair price.

Here, instores would be cool in that space .. there's loads of room.

dude, i really wish i could agree with you on that one and we would LOVE to host things like this. but have a look next time you are in..MAYBE we could do something with dudes and acoustics or something but the other thing is that i imagine it would be a security nightmare for the book guys. to be honest, even when there are say, 10 people in the shop, you have to keep your eye on people. now, im not saying that the type of people who would come to the gigs would be robbin books, but if theres one opportunistic dude in there.....

also, can anyone really compete with tower for instores?

saying all of this, road managed a few cool quirky instores.
its a tough one.

Yeah, you could be totally right dude, if it's on signs around the shop. My understanding was that it was law, but i've been wrong before :)

he is indeed right..It's only a gesture of goodwill or whatever that a shop can agree to take back something that has been bought that there is nothing wrong with it..the law says if you just change yr mind about it yr on yr own..this website was my fuckin bible during christmas:

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back