6 - The India Song - 2:22
7 - When My Baby's Beside Me - 3:25
8 - My Life Is Right - 3:10
9 - Give Me Another Chance - 3:29
10 - Try Again - 3:33
11 - Watch the Sunrise - 3:45
12 - ST100/6 - 0:57

Overview:
#1 Record is the debut album by the American power pop group Big Star. It was released in 1972 by Memphis-based Ardent Records. Many critics praised the album's elegant vocal harmonies and refined songcraft but #1 Record suffered from poor distribution and sold fewer than 10,000 copies. However, #1 Record has more recently attracted wider attention, and in 2003 it was ranked number 438 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. Rolling Stone magazine also ranked the song "Thirteen" as number 396 on its 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh man, I even watched the Big Star documentary in an attempt to get this album. But it was just loads of people talking like I already thought it was the best album ever.

It's grand, like, good even. Ain't no Electric Warrior though.

I look forward to listening to this album a few times this week, see if i can change my mind, gonna try and return properly to album club.

Always find this a frustrating album. I can't get behind Chris Bell's vocals. He's fine on Try Again for the most part, but when he's reaching on the likes of Feel or In the Street it does my head in.

Chilton's songs though, brilliant. Except for that fucking phaser all over the Ballad of El Goodo. See the Live album to hear just what a brilliant song that is. The guitar on When My Baby's Beside Me is my highlight of the record. 13 is my go to tune when I pick up an acoustic.

The India Song is the only non Bell or Chilton song, and let's face it, it's a dud.

Any pricks at the Chilton gig in whelans about 10 years ago? Weird vibe. For the first and last time I have seen they had 3 or 4 tables set out in front of the stage. It was stiflingly hot in there, and while about 8 people were sitting in comfort, the rest of us were packed in a sweaty mess. An old geezer at the front took a couple of pictures and Chilton gave out to him. Was a real low energy.

The set was about 80% random jazz and old covers of people I had never heard of. He did play when my baby's beside me at least.

Had a listen to When My Baby's Beside Me. If only all music could be that good. Must be one of the classiest rock and roll songs of all time. The drum fill at the end of the guitar solo is just on the money.

Same here. I've had this on the ipod years, songs occasionally come on and are always enjoyed, but it's always been background.

Sitting down to listen to it in one go is fairly interesting, certainly the first half all really works nicely, there's a lovely laconic feel to it. My attention did start to drift, but I got a lot more out of it than I was expecting.

I think by listen 3 I'll have either become obsessed or bored with it.

I love this Album and was one of my nominations.

Back in the days of Napster I downloaded every live recording of Elliott Smith I could find and he did a cover of Thirteen and I loved it.
I also heard a cover of Ballad of El Goodo by Evan Dando on the Empire Records soundtrack, when I discovered these where originally by Big Star I went and downloaded everything I could find by them.

I wasn't really into them at first thought the songs when really good but didn't like the your man's voice.

Then when David Kitt released Square 1 the opening track was a reworking of I'm in love with a girl (with his own words). It triggered me to dig out the mp3's from a few years back. This time everything was right I liked they guys voice.

As for the Album itself I play album a lot at home on the stereo. It starts great and doesn't drop for the first 5 songs.

India Song is probably the dud in the pack, sounds like they were listening to Love when they wrote it.

The it kicks back with When My Baby's beside me and keeps it up to the end.

Attachments

• bigstar.jpg
    bigstar.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 24
Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back