Fight For Women's Right to Choose! (11 Viewers)

Does it reassure you to think that?

yes, just like it makes me feel fucking fantastic to read that having an abortion is as easy as booking a budget flight. I prefer to deal with arguments based on reality.

That might be true about divorce and contraception and such like but abortion is different. There is never going to be a time when there are not people like Janer who are deeply, deeply opposed it. And that opposition comes from all corners of society -not just the Legion of Mary. There is nothing backward or illogical about the view that a foutus is human and deserves protection. No mater how much some people here disagree with the belief.

If people here think all that is needed is time, meetings and pamhlets then they are crazy.

You entered this thread with the assertion that there is nothing worth campaigning for, but you've gone on to provide the best reason for campaigning. It's not a teleological inevitability. That's why political activism exists.

So does it reassure you to believe that nothing will change?

If people here think all that is needed is time, meetings and pamhlets then they are crazy.

I agree - leaflets and pamphlets are only useful in communicating a stance or a viewpoint and then in changing opinions. Ultimately, legislation is needed - firstly for the X type cases, as promised by the Oireachtas in 1992 and in 2002, then a constitutional referendum on non X case type abortions, and then legislation to legalise abortion.

In terms of changing opinions, this is already happening -
http://safeandlegal.blogspot.com/2007/06/73-favour-abortion-for-rape-and-abuse.html

You entered this thread with the assertion that there is nothing worth campaigning for, but you've gone on to provide the best reason for campaigning. It's not a teleological inevitability. That's why political activism exists.
So a future with sidewalk protests outside clinics, doctors houses being picketed and clinics being firebombed is preferable to you than the uncomfortable compromise we have now (which has taken 22 years to achieve) because you think the choice to be able to travel to the UK isn't choice enough?

You'd want to be very careful what you wish for on this issue.

So a future with sidewalk protests outside clinics, doctors houses being picketed and clinics being firebombed is preferable to you than the uncomfortable compromise we have now (which has taken 22 years to achieve) because you think the choice to be able to travel to the UK isn't choice enough?

don't patronise me pal, i know what i'm talking about. if people want to protest against abortion, that's their right.
i don't believe we'll see the kind of crazy actions they get in the us - it doesn't happen like that in england and i don't think the sisters of mercy know how to wire up incendaries. but setting that aside, are you actually arguing that if someone threatens violence they should have their way? maybe the pro-choice movement should start blowing up churches?

the "uncomfortable compromise" we have now is two thousand euro for an abortion, within 24 weeks of pregnancy (in effect, within 19 weeks of a postive test), with very little support services here. that effectively makes it abortion only for those who can afford it. that's worth campaigning.

the "uncomfortable compromise" we have now is two thousand euro for an abortion, within 24 weeks of pregnancy (in effect, within 19 weeks of a postive test), with very little support services here. that effectively makes it abortion only for those who can afford it. that's worth campaigning.
2 grand is fuck all these days esp if the family club round, call me old fashioned but as David Norris said at the pro abortion protest last Saturday after some counselling 7 out of 8 young women he knew went on to have their babies.
Do you not think that if abortion is on peoples doorsteps that young women might just say "fuck it" it'll be over in 24 hours.
But by having to travel and go to all this trouble that they might reflect on it or have you no interest in any of these infants breaking into this world?

You are going to have to pay regardless. If you are hoping for some kind of solution where you can get an abortion on the medical card or from the VHI then you are in fantasy land. It's going to cost roughly that much whether it's in the UK or here - in fact it would probably end up more expensive here than in UK.

I seem to remember you suggesting I was either "taking the piss or out of my depth" a few pages ago so to whine about being patronised when you weren't is a bit rich. Pal.

i wasn't? i must have picked you up all wrong when you suggested i be careful what i wish for. i may have been patronising, but the comment about plane tickets was pretty offensive too. anyway, you still haven't actually addressed any of what i said.

i understand that you're basing your approach on pragmatism rather than idealism. if pro-choice campaigners switched to guerrilla attacks on pro-lifers, would you change your stance?

You are going to have to pay regardless. If you are hoping for some kind of solution where you can get an abortion on the medical card or from the VHI then you are in fantasy land. It's going to cost roughly that much whether it's in the UK or here - in fact it would probably end up more expensive here than in UK.

yeah and indeed a lot of women in the uk do pay a private clinic like marie stopes rather than jump through the hoops required on the NHS. but, again, it's a matter of principal.

and also - sorry for the arseyness. this is a personal issue for me, but that's not much of an excuse.

Ah for jaysis sake Buzzo. Can the guy not make an argument without having to first prove he cares about people? Let's assume he's a good guy, ok?

Egg I assume no less. However, I'm pointing out the fact that MN called the situation of a woman carrying an unwanted child, and having to go through the trauma of travelling abroad for an abortion an 'uncomfortable compromise'. To me, this suggests a lack of empathy for women in this situation.

MN- one can't empathise without first listening (take that).

Huh? You're a loose cannon, Nailer.

It's hard to assume he's a good guy when he's comparing travelling to the UK to an abortion to having a weekend on the smoke in amsterdam.

Do you jumble the words of everything I write before you read it?

The point with the Amsterdam thing is simply what is legal in on juristiction does not have to automatically be legal in another.

That is the reality of the law here as it stands - and I baffles me when people canstntly talk about hypocracy on the issue. There is nothing hpocritical about it - whether you agree with it or not is different - but it pretty constent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back