Fav joni mitchell (pre 1980) (1 Viewer)

well? favorites...

• Total voters
off yiz go. can we not edit our posts anymore?

i picked don juans reckless daughter - its sooo good.
hejira is a very close second and maybe mingus or hissing next...

i used to like her early hippy stuff but i find it a bit annoying now.

Miss Piggy said:
what do you mean? blue is your fav or least fav?

Blue doesn't even count as an album, because it could not have been made by a normal human. I have pretty much had to hide it from myself, as I wasn't able to listen to anything BUT Blue, and I'll bet from my almost-daily shower project of "I wonder how many tracks I can sing before the water runs out?" (somewhere around 'Carey', it turns cold, and I hop out for my jaunty drying-off dance), my poor neighbours know it off by heart, too, minus the high notes (which I just screech).

I'm currently contemplating taking Song to a Seagull out of my discman, but I haven't found a reason to do so yet.

Miss Piggy said:
off yiz go. can we not edit our posts anymore?

i picked don juans reckless daughter - its sooo good.
hejira is a very close second and maybe mingus or hissing next...

i used to like her early hippy stuff but i find it a bit annoying now.

I :eek: her early hippy stuff like I've never :heart: -ed anything else except dogs and ice cream.

jane said:
Blue doesn't even count as an album, because it could not have been made by a normal human. I have pretty much had to hide it from myself, as I wasn't able to listen to anything BUT Blue, and I'll bet from my almost-daily shower project of "I wonder how many tracks I can sing before the water runs out?" (somewhere around 'Carey', it turns cold, and I hop out for my jaunty drying-off dance), my poor neighbours know it off by heart, too, minus the high notes (which I just screech).

I'm currently contemplating taking Song to a Seagull out of my discman, but I haven't found a reason to do so yet.

sounds like you should be voting fot blue then! i was just attempting to play this flight tonight on the guitar earlier. what a good song! my fav joni song altogether is probably hejira, i love it.

Miss Piggy said:
sounds like you should be voting fot blue then! i was just attempting to play this flight tonight on the guitar earlier. what a good song! my fav joni song altogether is probably hejira, i love it.

I did. Blue!

Night in the City (off Song to a Seagull) might actually be my favourite Joni song. Apart (again) from all of Blue, from which I can't pick a favourite, try as I might.

I don't even have all of her pre-1980 stuff, partly because I love the discovery of Joni tunes so much, I want to stretch it out (and I know she'll never write stuff like that again), and also because I have trouble listening to other music, and have to protect myself from the seemingly endless Blue binge I went on that caused me to miss out on about 6-months' worth of what was happening in the rest of the universe.

All hail Joni!

Napalm said:
Why hasn't anybody mentioned the fact that Joni is a pile of shite ? !bog

feck off you. !baggyyyy

pete, can you please fix it for me to have admin privileges on my threads? i need to be able to ban people and delete posts. thanks.

Definitely Court and Spark.

It just bounds along! Positively bounds!

Although Hejira in all its fretless bass wonder is pretty cool.

Ladies of the Canyon is a bit banshee but is still good.

Hissing of summer lawns kinda passed me by.

Clouds I really really love and would be close behind Court and Spark.

But see I know what Jane is saying - Blue is kinda so obvious you nearly need to disregard it. It's like Schumacher or Naomh Méarnóg Under 14s camogie team back in the day - pretty much a sure winner every time.

I'm kind of cheating here because I'm not really familiar with all that much of her stuff ... but .... I like Hejira better than anything else I have heard by her, including Blue.

Well I love Hissing of Summer Lawns but lets be realisitic here, nothing betters Blue so I'm not going to attempt to be obscurist.

coast to coast said:
Well I love Hissing of Summer Lawns but lets be realisitic here, nothing betters Blue so I'm not going to attempt to be obscurist.

hmm, but her singing is so shrill on blue?! all her early albums are a bit screechy. and her lyrics and music get so much better later on too!!

those orchestral albums she brought out recently are pretty dreadful.

roxy said:
Did you read my full post?

It would seem not.

I read it fine. When I was going through my Joni Mitchell rite of passage thang, the only album that left me completely cold was Court & Spark. I had been listening to nothing but JM for weeks but after hearing her screech "raised on robberreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" I figured it was time we took a step back, maybe things were moving just a little too fast, y'know.

If Blue is clearly the superior album then the results of a "my veriest favouritest Joni Mitchell album ever everrr" should reflect that, no?

I was so impressed by the Judee Sill stuff I downloaded after reading about her here that I bought Blue after all the gushing about it on thumped a while ago. Yea, it's good but... maybe it's a grower and I'll love it in 20 years time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back