Fav joni mitchell (pre 1980) (1 Viewer)

well? favorites...

• Total voters
nlgbbbblth said:
I see Don Juan's Reckless Daughter finally got a European CD release. Was dead expensive for yonks.

it was a fright. i have it on the annoying double vinyl things designed for the record players that allowed you to queue up your records. sides 1 and 4 are on the first disc and 2 and 3 on the second so you have to change the record 3 times.

Blue has The Last Time I Saw Richard...so that wins for me. I recently saw a brilliant old BBC recording of her playing all the songs from Blue when she hadn't even finished writing them yet. It was so cool. I think she was wearing a nightdress though, which wasn't so cool.

I spent some time learning the chords to Coyote (I heart the version of The Last Waltz) last week, between the strange tunning and the crazy shapes it's really something to try and get yr head around how she figured this stuff at all... was it just random move stuff around till it works or did she learn this stuff somehow...???

I think she was mostly a piano player wasn't she? Stephen Stills and James Taylor play guitars on Blue anyway - might explain the difficult chords

I only have Hissing, Blue and Ladies of the Canyon and Blue is far and away my favourite. Never managed to get into hissing at all ... Anthony yes Blue can take some work, or ata least it did for me. Listened to it on Sat night, by coincidence and was astounded yet again. "A case of you" and that Christmassy one, just unbelievable

Hejira is sublime
Don Juan's is almost as much so.
The hippy stuff is great but I haven't gone back to it in years.

egg_ said:
I think she was mostly a piano player wasn't she? Stephen Stills and James Taylor play guitars on Blue anyway - might explain the difficult chords

this on Herjjiaaa (whatevah) and she wrote it and plays in on the guitar... maybe the pianoing just gives her a broader view on constructing chords... but playing this thing is crazy, yr strumming away... and then go 'what!, she choose that as the next chord, 7 frets up, in a total different key... wha!"

but it sounds totally effortless when you listen to her play it, brilliant.

egg_ said:

shes mostly a guitar player i think, tho nifty enough on the piano too. stills and taylor did do a lot of blue but shes an amazing rhythm guitar player - coyote, black crow, don Juan etc, strange chords and rhythms. ive also attempted to play coyote, it'd go ok until i tried to sing along.

this page with loads of her tunings is on lee ranaldos page. you can defo hear here influence on sy.

Miss Piggy said:
this page with loads of her tunings is on lee ranaldos page. you can defo hear here influence on sy.

C G D F C E :
Coyote
Hejira
Woman of Heart and Mind
For the Roses
Don Juan's Reckless Daughter

I've been using this for 10 years and thought I invented it. Very naive of me, nothing new under the sun. Still one of my favourite tunings.

Hejira, no contest. They're all great (even when she's at her hippiest) but H. is in a class of its own.
Now can we have the Laura Nyro & Judee Sill threads?

as far as i know joni invented many of her own tunings and is a fucking savage guitar player. i love the slack-tunings on this flight tonight and jungle line - talking of which, i'd love to hear hissing of summer lawns with better sound quality. i bought an old second hand cd and its so quiet.

also no one mentioned mingus at all? "how old are you, 54 mother mucker!"

coast to coast said:
as far as i know joni invented many of her own tunings and is a fucking savage guitar player. i love the slack-tunings on this flight tonight and jungle line - talking of which, i'd love to hear hissing of summer lawns with better sound quality. i bought an old second hand cd and its so quiet.

also no one mentioned mingus at all? "how old are you, 54 mother mucker!"

haha, then she gets all annoying saying "53 53 he's 53 he was born in 19??" while the others havent even finished singing. also, mingus says "mutha fucka" . i mentioned mingus as either my 3rd or 4th favorite...

they often have hissing on vinyl in record collector. its worth it for the cover alone.i never realized how cool it was when i only had the cassette version with the square shrunk to fit on the front.

Miss Piggy said:
haha, then she gets all annoying saying "53 53 he's 53 he was born in 19??" while the others havent even finished singing. also, mingus says "mutha fucka" . i mentioned mingus as either my 3rd or 4th favorite...

The irritating woman is in fact Charlie Mingus' wife if I'm not mistaken. Although I love both Mitchell and Mingus, I really don't like "Mingus" the album. Maybe I need to give it more time, but when I dislike something of Joni's I really dislike it. I'm looking at you, cover version of beloved Elvis song "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care" on Wild Things Run Fast. Why Joni, why?

'Mingus' wouldn't be a fave of mine apart from 'The wolf that lives in Lindsey'

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back