cars - who owns one? (5 Viewers)

I understand the lure of a new car, but environmentally is not not better to reuse an old one?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

no need to be sorry. believe me this is a BIG issue with us. i can't stress this enough without sounding like a total dick.

My way to fudge the issue us that there is no sustainable option (used or new) so I'll get what is reliable, low CO2 and in a reasonable price range.

and live with the shame.

actually what am I saying. it's not even for me (although I'm suggesting the panda)

I have a Daewoo Matiz 1 liter totally grand to run and can park it anywhere (assuming you weren't terrified of damaging other cars like I am). However they apparently have gone out of business so would avoid Daewoo s as parts will be a bitch to get.

Daewoo are still on the go but are rebadged as chevrolet in europe so parts will be plentiful - very popular as rentals because of their cheapness.

I was on for a matiz because of the size but we rented one a while back and every time I changed the gear I elbowed herself in the boob.

Tbh when i had a car i never had any money because there is always something needs paying.

I am reluctant to get one here in oz because (a) I could be fired at any moment and (b) I am awash with riches atm which i am afraid will dry up as soon as an 89 hobda civic enters my life.

Ireland's 1.7 million private cars account for only 8% of Ireland's CO2, so you needn't beat yourself up.

I'm afraid I'm professionally and academically inclined to disagree with you....,.

Panda's wha!

I've got a big fuck-off Transit Van that has been sitting in front of my house for about a year now,
I'll hopefuly be able to get it up and running this week but you never know...
The neighbours are going MENTAL.

I'm afraid I'm professionally and academically inclined to disagree with you....,.

Panda's wha!

It's true - look at the figures given by SEI and the EPA.

EPA says transport accounts for 20.8% of emissions

http://www.epa.ie/downloads/pubs/air/airemissions/ghg_budget_2007_v4_1501091.pdf

SEI says there are 1.88m cars in ireland and that private cars are responsible for 38% of transport fuel consumption (let's use that as a proxy for emissions):

http://www.sei.ie/Publications/Stat...n_Transport/EPSSU_Transport_Rpr_Fnl_Dec07.pdf

That gives you 1.88m cars responsible for 7.9% of Ireland's emissions.

Is that right?

It's true - look at the figures given by SEI and the EPA.

EPA says transport accounts for 20.8% of emissions

http://www.epa.ie/downloads/pubs/air/airemissions/ghg_budget_2007_v4_1501091.pdf

SEI says there are 1.88m cars in ireland and that private cars are responsible for 38% of transport fuel consumption (let's use that as a proxy for emissions):

http://www.sei.ie/Publications/Stat...n_Transport/EPSSU_Transport_Rpr_Fnl_Dec07.pdf

That gives you 1.88m cars responsible for 7.9% of Ireland's emissions.

Is that right?

it looks right. that kind percentage makes me think about stuff like 'what if nobody was allowed anything bigger then a 2 litre.' in a well designed car a 2 litre should easily move 5 people and baggage. the popularity of jeeps, suv's, sports cars, drift cars (in the sticks) must account for a few %. then the rally championships to some extent are private cars, then people own boats with 14litre v12 engines that require giant jeeps to horse them about. basically it all us coastal peoples fault.

and I'm wondering what peoples experiences are of buying cars these days.

I was told to buy japanese - they're reliable, supposedly parts are cheap, and they're easily repaired if theres issues down the line.

Oh yeah and stay away from Fiats- Fix It Again Tomorrow or so I was told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back