Canadian bastards type thread #1 (1 Viewer)

moose said:
I've worked on a few farms when I were a wee lad. Why may ask?

ah y'know, this isn't in any way a sociological/political/gastronomic observation. I've just alway's found vegitarianism most prevalent amongst city folk, who've had little or no contact with animals y'know? That old chestnut, I'm sure you've all heard it before.

I've raised cow's, sheep, geese and chickens. I'm not into animal cruelty, it acheives nothing, I just want the meat. I'm not into seal clubbing, it doesn't tackle the core problem.

The people I know who make their living from hunting are amongst the most respectful folks to nature that I've ever come across. That said, I'm in no doubt that there's fella's running around Canada clubbing the shit outta everything that moves, and lovin every second of it. Others, I'm sure, are making a lliving, and doin what they think is right.

Like most things in the world, it all comes down to education and understanding. We can't figure out the core problems, so we club the shit out of things and abuse each other on the internet. That solves nothing.

That's it, I'm off

*leaps majestically from moral pedestal......into the distance.......his gone

seanc said:
*sticks head sheepishly into Eirecore

Can I just......ask you guy's something?

Ummm

Do any of you guy's come from a farming background/worked on a farm?

*quickly exits eirecore in anticipation of a world of abuse
my family on my father's side are all either farmers or fishermen as far back as the year dot. i've been vegetarian for nearly six years and i've no intention of giving it up any time soon. my da was raised on a farm and he still gets really really disturbed by unnecessary pain being inflicted on animals (specifically through farming practices..the process of taking the horns off cattle comes to mind) - he'd happily go vegetarian and it's only habit that's stopping him.

that's purely anecdotal but.

Yeah, in my experience, farmers see their animals as pets (with the obvious exception of pig/beef farmers).

Oh and sean, i came from a farming family, but am the only meat eater amongst my siblings. Most vegitarians i know come from the country but aren't farmers - i imagine most city dwellers couln't give two shites about vegetarianism.

ah yeah RSJ + Super Dexta, just what I've seen is all. I'm not an authority on any of this stuff really, just anecdotal.

i was born on a chicken farm in the mountains...which subsequently burnt down......
i've spent many a summer on holidays/free labour on farms.....
i've seen my uncle inject cows with angel dust, i've seen another uncle keep over 4000 chickens in a space the size of a front room in fairview, i've seen farmers so fuckin ignorant that they kick, beat, whip their kids as much as they do their animals......and i won't even get into the fellas who breed dogs...
i've very rarely seen the noble or romantic farmer that is so often bleated about by the pro rural lobbies.....
the fact of the matter is that sustainable farming in ireland is the domain of large land/herd owners who really have no concern for animal welfare and would gladly ignore if it wasn't illegal to do so.......
maybe in the last decade a different attitude has emerged toward animal husbandry but i wouldn't know.....
i'm a vegetarian because i can physically survive without another sentient creature being caused pain to facilitate my survival......
meat eaters i have no problem with but i sincerely doubt many would begrudge their fodder to of at least have a decent life and if more people really knew what was going on, or maybe what went on, then they might have a very different take on it.......and ask themselves is the bacon sarnie really worth it.....
just my opinion....

jmlcomp said:
bacon sarnie
Mmmmm, bacon sarnieeeeee.....

BLT.jpg

Ah, fake meat. There's a veggie place up here that the brother and sister swear by, they's always having BLT's with their bacon, fryups with the sausages and so on. I can ask 'em for the brand if you're interested - apparently much better than yer quorn or lynda mcarthy stuff.

Politakill1 said:
You should all take a break and go to Burdocks for quorn battered sausages and veggie burgers with chips. Don't forget to add some malt non cruelty vinegar.

wow! do they really sell veggie batter sausages in burdocks? would almost have been worth the time I wasted reading this thread is this is true. is it??

u:m said:
wow! do they really sell veggie batter sausages in burdocks? would almost have been worth the time I wasted reading this thread is this is true. is it??

Nope, I asked for one a while ago and the jehowaya behind the counter said 'sorry love'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back