Boxing (1 Viewer)

There is a boxing club in Drimnagh - Keepers road. It was run by Austin Carruth (not sure if he's still around). I went there years back. I enjoyed it but it didn't really have 'classes' as such but there was using circuits on or people to spar with.

Have you any experience already?

Nice one,Ill look into those,Hadn't considered anything else really,but wouldnt be averse to checking other shit out, I did a little bit of training in college and wouldnt mind taking it up properly.Not fussed about competing too much,just more into training

jimmy, just tell us who they are and we'll beat them up for you.

I dunno man,theyre pretty tough for children

One think you might get in some of the gyms is a bit of a slagging about your age. Most 'fighter' type gyms would think 27 is pretty old to start boxing. I was told by my mate to drop a few years of my age when I went up training with him (I was older than you at the time) - The trainer did refer to me as a 'hairy novice' (which was a reference to my age not my 'hirsuite bear' appearance - I hope :).

But as I said I'd imagine that there is a lot of a new generation of places to learn to box now where people can do drills and spar without the intention of fighting competitively..

national stadium? south circular road

As far as I know - no club trains there they only show events (and the Ringside too)

Its unlikely you're still in college but I think both TCD and UCD have boxing clubs. Unfortunally I think its only open to their students.

some great fighters. great club.. thinking of fighting this september

Great - good luck with that. I think its a great experience and you'll be so glad you did it. I really think stepping in the ring does take something to do win/lose or draw. I did want to do one amateur fight when i did the boxing but i got distracted by MMA. It was too late for me to be a good boxer but i was well up on it for the experience.

I really want to get back training - I can't see me fighting though. But we'll see (not boxing though lol).

do you do any MMA sparring? what weight are the gloves?

for me, i think boxing is the best sport for all round fitness. i did Kenpo (the old skool Kenpo, not the new one) for years and while i loved it, too much light sparring leaves you very fast but without a whole lot of power. i feel like i get a lot more out of the training.

do you do any MMA sparring? what weight are the gloves?

I did - not trained for a few years now...

In the club i was at..It depended on the session - most sessions we'd use boxing gloves (12oz) and we'd do one round of boxing - one of thai (no elbows) and one of MMA (with boxing gloves it was weird). When people were going for fights then 4oz mma gloves were used but the contact level of the hands was toned down (those gloves are small). Sparring with the 4oz gloves is very different - its harder to cover be defensive etc..

Overall I felt that the boxing I experienced while doing MMA was closer to Muai Thai(with no kicks/knees) then Western Boxing. Stances were much shorter and the infighting was very different.

I wish MMA came here much earlier when I was top of my game and could have competited.

wow, 4oz is pretty light. there's grappling in MMA though, right?

yeah i've always found the muai thai stance really weird.. too short for fighting.
with MMA do you lead with your right foot forward for orthodox?

wow, 4oz is pretty light. there's grappling in MMA though, right?

yeah i've always found the muai thai stance really weird.. too short for fighting.
with MMA do you lead with your right foot forward for orthodox?

MMA is basically wrestling/bjj/muai thai combined. So there is grappling and ground fighting.

Orthodox is the same as boxing - power hand back.

The shorter stance means you can't punch as hard but if you used a boxing stance in MMA/muai thai your lead leg would get chewed up. Being kicked in the leg doesn't sound bad until some one with decent MT/kyokushin/mma experience does it to you then you'll change your mind. It is horrible.

MMA is just a different ball game - mostly great boxing is sacraficed so they can learn other aspects. Alot of the times ppl do have a base art like Judo/boxing'kickboxing and then learn the other aspects. Unlike American MMA europeans very rarely have the wrestling base that the Americans have (ie they do it in school).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back