A Wilhelm Scream in Belfast (2 Viewers)

It shouldn't though, because Belfast has been that way for 10+ years now and has shown no real signs of improvement in that time. I don't have a problem with anyone from Dublin or wherever slagging gigs in Belfast, because the fact is there is an attitude among a lot of the people who go to gigs there that they are just there to get fucked and don't care about actually seeing any bands. That's the way it is and has been for years. I've been doing gigs in Belfast for nearly 10 years, and at the last gig I did there, there were still people trying to sneak in for free and then buying drinks at the bar. That's part of an attitude that's been around over 10 years and would have disappeared in that time except that it's actually been encouraged. I find it ridiculous that there are still people stupid enough to try that kind of nonsense going to gigs in Belfast, and therefore I have no problem if people want to ridicule gigs in Belfast, because the fact is it is a ridiculous situation.
You definitely don't get the same mindset in Dublin, and if you really want to see a difference try going to a gig in Galway.
It doesn't reflect badly on me that I have put on gigs in that situation for nearly 10 years. If anything it reflects favourably, that even despite attitudes like that, I have managed to put on mostly successful gigs over that period of time.
Basically, despite whatever amount of people there are trying to be progressive with gigs, there are still far too many messers that should have been told to wise up by their mates years ago.
I think it's great there are people trying to do something totally different to that now, but it's hardly a surprise at this stage if other people involved in gigs around Ireland think Belfast is not worth bothering with.

Aye, as I said I agree. Belfast is full of pricks that go on about "being punk, man" and then never show up at a gig unless it's a big one.
My problem is when people ridicule gig put on by people like yourself that really do seem to have bent backwards to put on gigs and keep things going despite how shite the situation has been in the past 10 years by every single account I have heard.
That's all. Belfast is a hole, most Belfast 'punks' need to wise up. But at least some respect for people that make an effort to keep gigs going despite the shit.

lets ask the highest authority in the universe
spider.jpg

Ah fuck! Late appearing pics, fucking bastards they are.

And yeah, I hate our weird, snob and elitist money. Especially now that I cannot flaunt it when it's exchanged in Euros because it is not worth double it. Fuck the recession.

I think everyone's post have been real good. I think Belfast does have a bit of a repuatation for Mohawks and beer but I think it has always put out great bands and we've always had great shows up there. I'd love to see Galway, Beflast and Dublin as more of a network with some of the more hardcore bands. I think Belfast's scene might lean towards Street Punk and not on HC which is cool too but it's all DIY. Lobotomies are pure HC punk. Yeah Fuck Galway! ha

It is a fucking joke in belfast when it comes to gigs... A touring band come to play here after everyone whinging about there being no punk gigs for last month and fuck all people show up. If a touring band wanna gig here during the week you just have to tell them they pretty much wont get payed for it cause theres only gonna be a 5 or 10 peole show up and that just about covers the cost of posters and transport for the the equipment if your lucky.

These days i only really book gigs for a friday or saturday night and alot of the the time im still ending up out of pocket, not a huge amount but if your gonna pay the bands a reasonable amount you usally end up covering the cost the cost of posters , feeding the band and transport for the gear yourself.

Another part of the problem is alot of the punk scene here isnt interested in actually give involved. Its more about necking 10 pills, drinking 6 litres of cider and pissing yourself (which dont get me wrong is fun) but it doesnt lead to a very productive scene.

Hopefully a new centre will lead to more of the younger people wanting to get involved and Belfast having a much more active and productive punk scene.

Nail in the head there Jonnie.

The so called 'punks' in Belfast got to the stage where all they are good at is getting fucked and whinging that there are not enough punk gigs yet no turning up for any single one. Unless obviously is some shitty band that everyone knows or a mate's band.

Which is why partially hope that if the new centre goes ahead none of them idiots actually get involved (not that they could be bothered anyway) but instead a new and younger crowd of people that actually gives a fuck gets involved.

Nail in the head there Jonnie.

The so called 'punks' in Belfast got to the stage where all they are good at is getting fucked and whinging that there are not enough punk gigs yet no turning up for any single one. Unless obviously is some shitty band that everyone knows or a mate's band.

Which is why partially hope that if the new centre goes ahead none of them idiots actually get involved (not that they could be bothered anyway) but instead a new and younger crowd of people that actually gives a fuck gets involved.

I think you got me wrong there Bob im hoping those people do get involved. Getting involved in a project, such a new centre, i hope would make a lot of people feel like they had a responsible to look after it and help in its running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back