General election 2020 (5 Viewers)

Would the reason for this not be that in other parts of the world they do tend to fuck off to some well-paid think-tank or consultancy firm, e.g . Chuka Umunna, Amber Rudd

ex-TD's don't seem to be quite the same (unless you're at Bertie Ahern level)

What I found laughable about that article is the idea that they couldn't get any job at all. I'd love to see the job-centre reaction to them "Well, did you try applying for this supermarket in town? How about, this Boots on the main street is hiring, did you inquire about that?"
All of those ex-TDs could 100% get a job if they wanted to. It's just the jobs that pay them the kind of money they want that they might have a hard time with. And most of them (definitely exceptions, like Coppinger) probably weren't remotely interested in pursuing any kind of income equality when they were in office.

What I found laughable about that article is the idea that they couldn't get any job at all. I'd love to see the job-centre reaction to them "Well, did you try applying for this supermarket in town? How about, this Boots on the main street is hiring, did you inquire about that?"
All of those ex-TDs could 100% get a job if they wanted to. It's just the jobs that pay them the kind of money they want that they might have a hard time with. And most of them (definitely exceptions, like Coppinger) probably weren't remotely interested in pursuing any kind of income equality when they were in office.
I mean, I dunno... jobs are hard to get. I'm imagining an ex-TD trying to tailor their CV for Boots and then trying to convince them in an interview that they've always dreamed of a career in retail.

Yes, it made sense for him to stick it out once he was bought in, but I'm saying if he cared about money it made no sense for him to have staked his career on the Green party in the first place
Yeah, probably his priorities changed over time once he got in and decided which side of his bread the butter was on.
On the other hand, I don't know but he could have just been a politico careerist from the start. There's a pretty endless supply of them from YFG/YFF, and even outside those there's a fuckload of these types that just go for SU kind of jobs when they're in university (Not saying all SU people are that way inclined, there are also plenty that actually just want to try and help with things), but he could be one of those types, I dunno.

I will give you a good example of one of those types sure, well maybe an archetypal example, Tom Lenihan, son of Brian Lenihan, ya know the cunt that bailed out capital speculators over a decade ago. Tom Lenihan managed to get himself elected as TCD SU president for a year, clearly looking to go into politics as is the family tradition. Within months he was caught cheating on an exam, blamed it on 'depression' because obviously everybody who is depressed is a cheater, then Trinity took absolute minimum action over it because hey, guess whose mother is a high court judge or some shit? He managed to win an impeachment vote over the cheating and finished his time in office, and I really wouldn't be surprised to see him resurface in some years time as a new FFG candidate.

kevin moran simply didn't have the right ministership. usually the way you'd want to pitch yourself post-politics would be 'i know the back doors to get you in to talk to the right people'; haveing basically been minister for flood relief is not the most exploitable position to use for getting nasty businessment their way.

There's not really though. These actual jobs that are being listed require actual work where you have to actually apply yourself every now and again if you want to keep your job, so you are actually answerable in some way to the level or performance you achieve.

I wish that were true but it isn't.

Whats the deal though.

Eamon Ryan.

First term as supreme leader of ireland, with minority party fianna fail who, in fairness weren't responsible for anything ever as far as they can remember didn't go great.

Couple of years in the wilderness.

Second terms as supreme leader of Ireland, with fringe minorities FFG possibly standing in his way of global environmental utopia probably a mere bit of admin that'll wrap up in a matter of weeks.

Like I don't think he's amazing, I have spoken with him but not met him - but as said already on the thread -

Passing CETA=green party fail.
However being a 12/72 minority in govt getting a bill to pass isn't bad going (even if it was in the PFG). Getting two across is good going. How many would he need to get across the line to be validated??

Regardless of what you think of any TD or Ministers policy, it is a fuckload of hard work. I know Catherine Martin a little and the hours she puts in are insane. Have been at meetings with her where she's asked could she have a two minute break to ring home and wish her kids a good night. And I've only been privy to one thing she was working on.

So while I can't stand most of them, nature of Irish parish pump politics is if you don't put in the work you won't get elected again.

Whats the deal though.

Eamon Ryan.

First term as supreme leader of ireland, with minority party fianna fail who, in fairness weren't responsible for anything ever as far as they can remember didn't go great.

Couple of years in the wilderness.

Second terms as supreme leader of Ireland, with fringe minorities FFG possibly standing in his way of global environmental utopia probably a mere bit of admin that'll wrap up in a matter of weeks.

Like I don't think he's amazing, I have spoken with him but not met him - but as said already on the thread -

Passing CETA=green party fail.
However being a 12/72 minority in govt getting a bill to pass isn't bad going (even if it was in the PFG). Getting two across is good going. How many would he need to get across the line to be validated??
He seems alright to me, he will vote with the government and he always said he would. He'd do the same if Sinn Fein were in government. I think it's only fair and right that individual Green TDs can't do it but he knew what he was signing up for himself.

The real question is why are this government trying to force this through? Lets assume the Greens aren't behind that. The only explanation i've come across is the idea that they want to be seen as the best boys in class or something.

He seems alright to me, he will vote with the government and he always said he would. He'd do the same if Sinn Fein were in government. I think it's only fair and right that individual Green TDs can't do it but he knew what he was signing up for himself.

The real question is why are this government trying to force this through? Lets assume the Greens aren't behind that. The only explanation i've come across is the idea that they want to be seen as the best boys in class or something.
TBH the question wasn't aimed at you :p

That is the real Q though. Like there are a lot of shirts who will chase anythign with FDI written on it at any cost, but the ones with the thoughts, what the fuck is their problem.

TBH the question wasn't aimed at you :p

That is the real Q though. Like there are a lot of shirts who will chase anythign with FDI written on it at any cost, but the ones with the thoughts, what the fuck is their problem.
I WASN'T ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION

I was hoping someone might be able to answer mine tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back