Racism in Ireland (1 Viewer)

A lot of John Wayne films are class, he is very one dimensional but just give him that same basic part to play over and over again and it works.
I always loved that story about how he had that line in The Greatest Story Ever Told where he had to say "Truly, this is the son of God".
He was told he had to say the line with more awe.
Next take.
"Awww, truly this is the son of God"

but all in all BLM is a massive game changer.
when the riots happened in London in 2011. the media was so full of white middle class folks that it was
at least three days into the riots before 'stop and search' was mentioned in famous live interview with Darcus Howe on BBC.
It's sort of related, but it's been mentioned before that a lot of times issues aren't really taken seriously in the media until white middle class people become interested in them. I remember Aziz Ansari was talking in his last special about how people had been complaining about Apu in the Simpsons for years but it only became a noted issue when white people started complaining about it too

It's sort of related, but it's been mentioned before that a lot of times issues aren't really taken seriously in the media until white middle class people become interested in them. I remember Aziz Ansari was talking in his last special about how people had been complaining about Apu in the Simpsons for years but it only became a noted issue when white people started complaining about it too
That's a comedic license one too though, the Simpsons took the piss out of almost everything at some point. Like the next step from that is for the cops to all start complaining because Chief Wiggum is a fat stupid useless cunt every time he's in an episode, or the politicians to start complaining because Quimby is always corrupt.
Realistically any complaint about The Simpsons should start with it not being cancelled after season 12.
Anyway comedy is fair game and it's very difficult to draw a line with it, I think with the total dickhead comics all over the place the best thing is to not give them any platform once they are revealed. There's a case in Canada right now that's gone right to the highest court there around this comedian who's been accused of bullying a disabled kid that was given a public platform years ago by the media doing song renditions or something like that. Comedian's argument is that making jokes about the kid was fair game because he was a public figure at the time, I don't really see how that can be argued with and most of the comedy establishment in Canada supports that line. To me it sounds like it's nonsense to suggest that he can't make those jokes, but again there's nothing stopping people from not providing him with platforms to do so, and that's fair enough too.
It's the old Nick Griffin job again, yes he's free to go around being a nazi cunt, but funny enough you never see him standing in the middle of a public square on his own spouting that kind of shit, do you.

but all in all BLM is a massive game changer.
when the riots happened in London in 2011. the media was so full of white middle class folks that it was
at least three days into the riots before 'stop and search' was mentioned in famous live interview with Darcus Howe on BBC.
not just middle class folks

EZRxaGtXQAEitlf

(as Twitter never lets her forget)

That's a comedic license one too though, the Simpsons took the piss out of almost everything at some point. Like the next step from that is for the cops to all start complaining because Chief Wiggum is a fat stupid useless cunt every time he's in an episode, or the politicians to start complaining because Quimby is always corrupt.
Realistically any complaint about The Simpsons should start with it not being cancelled after season 12.
Anyway comedy is fair game and it's very difficult to draw a line with it, I think with the total dickhead comics all over the place the best thing is to not give them any platform once they are revealed. There's a case in Canada right now that's gone right to the highest court there around this comedian who's been accused of bullying a disabled kid that was given a public platform years ago by the media doing song renditions or something like that. Comedian's argument is that making jokes about the kid was fair game because he was a public figure at the time, I don't really see how that can be argued with and most of the comedy establishment in Canada supports that line. To me it sounds like it's nonsense to suggest that he can't make those jokes, but again there's nothing stopping people from not providing him with platforms to do so, and that's fair enough too.
It's the old Nick Griffin job again, yes he's free to go around being a nazi cunt, but funny enough you never see him standing in the middle of a public square on his own spouting that kind of shit, do you.
I suppose the difference between the jokes about Apu and the ones about Quimby and Wiggum is that most of the jokes about Apu are centred around his accent, his nationality, his identity etc. And for a long time he would have been one of the few representations of Indian people on mainstream tv. It's not really the same for cops or politicians. It would have been a lot easier, as a cop, to disassociate yourself from the character of Wiggum than it would have been for an Indian person to disassociate themselves from Apu.

Apu is totally fine with it. He said so

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Always seemed to me that the majority of the Apu comedy was based on him being the quick-e-mart owner and that the accent etc was incidental. But what would I know, I'm a thick paddy from backwards island

It's been a while since I read about this, but I remember finding it at least interesting at the time:

iirc, Irishness, in the American context is fair game for comedy. You'd roll your eyes if you heard a Brit or Australian or American bemoaning the slagging they get on television. The Irish are seen as fair game, like the Brits, because we're seen as equal to them. It's not the 1980's anymore.

RE McLean, poppy politics are a huge deal in the UK. A huge confusing deal, since no one knows anything about Norn Iron or history in general.

The poppy isn't confusing, somebody already said it above, it's just a Daily Mail symbol used to have a go at people who don't wear it. Most of the cunts that wear it probably think it's just a World War II thing like.

For comedy anything is fair game, really, comedy is usually very subjective after all. It's all the other anti-Irish shit you see and hear that isn't about comedy, that's the problem.

This is one of the funniest sketches ever

The poppy isn't confusing, somebody already said it above, it's just a Daily Mail symbol used to have a go at people who don't wear it. Most of the cunts that wear it probably think it's just a World War II thing like.

For comedy anything is fair game, really, comedy is usually very subjective after all. It's all the other anti-Irish shit you see and hear that isn't about comedy, that's the problem.

It might not be confusing to me or you. It is to them, believe me. I'm skeptical how much it has to do specifically with teh mail.

These are good examples of that kind of thing

In both situations Obama is addressing US use and abuse of power, droning civilians, cops and racism in America etc. etc. (he's in favour of all the bad things btw)

but in both cases it becomes an internet and media fight about what Obama's clothes signify.

I'd say she's fairly middle class though
She's probably the only newspaper columnist in the UK mainstream media who grew up in a council house and didn't go to a private school or university. What her positions are when push comes to shove though... certainly more ambiguous.

She's probably the only newspaper columnist in the UK mainstream media who grew up in a council house and didn't go to a private school or university. What her positions are when push comes to shove though... certainly more ambiguous.

She sure as shit didn't grow up middle class - council house, one of 8 kids, left school at 11
Didn't know any of that. I just assumed because she was an English journalist she was middle class. I'm showing my unconscious bias

David Baddiel is the worst kind of unfunny, smug, middle class prick.
a Paddy comedian wouldn't get away with doing this skit on British Jewish folks.
having said that I watched this the night it was first broadcast and was surprised how much
the Irish media got upset about it afterwards - not really worth making a fuss over.

fuck Baddiel and Skinner's not much better.

Apu was always a blind spot in The Simpsons. his accent, culture and religion were
all repeatedly mocked in a way I didn't see happening with any other characters.
the story line where his wife had about 8 kids in one birth was a huge low point in the show.
the only defense is that there weren't many other immigrant characters on The Simpsons.

I still see a lot of this type of crap on Nickelodeon in recent years -
e.g. an unpleasant restaurant owner called Mrs. Wong has a strong Asian accent (Thundermans).

a few years ago my nephews were watching the 90's Disney movie Aladdin which was so
racist I had to start telling them what wrong with it during the movie.

Lads,

it's almost as if soccerball and dialy mial and tiwtter attract a certain type of idiot.

I am picking up, and I don't know how to say this without pissing somebody off, but it seems people are ranking Irishness with being Irish from Ireland and being Irish living in England or the USA or wherever, and all the ambiguities that go with all that. It's a quagmire to get into. The same could be said for Baddiel being a North London Jewish guy, or Skinner being a faux-Brummie working down in that fancy London.

I think the Irish immigrant experience is worthy of consideration in the broader Irish experience. Be that Houghton or McGowan or even Whitey fuckin Bolger.

I dunno, I'm getting a bad vibe. The other thing I'll say is that the most outright racist abuse I've experienced, here, home or elsewhere, has always come from other Irish people.

I think we are (and I say "we" intentionally), should be smarter than all that shite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back