Racism in Ireland (1 Viewer)

Come on man, that's why they're riots. Only pricks who want nothing to change argue that you can riot in a correct and orderly fashion, because no riot will ever meet that standard.

I get it. Peaceful protest can be peacefully ignored. But smashing the shit out of someone's shop is not good.

I read one of her books, and really liked it and her

... but if you want to be a judgmental prick who decides what people are like based on what they work at and who they know, then go right ahead
The irony of your post is funny.
I used the word ‘seemed’ for a reason.

There’s no need for name calling, Egg_
Mad sound again cheers

Gah, sorry @ernesto I like Caitlin Moran and got a bit defensive :(

here's something though - if a person who's entire ourve and public persona is political, orientated to a political viewpoint, then comments relating to current events or associations with political figures should be open to question or comment (and I don't mean in the shitfest twitter mob sense, but more generally)

its like pulling bono up on being a tax dodging prick when he's off preaching about saving the world, as opposed to, I dunno, Carlos from the Fontaines DC being outed as an FG voter (hypothetical situation)

if a person who's entire ourve and public persona is political, orientated to a political viewpoint, then comments relating to current events or associations with political figures should be open to question or comment
I can't find anything to disagree with there in principle, but making unfair snap judgements people based on their associations/"alignments" is really prevalent atm*. I dunno much about Caitlin Moran/Michael Gove's relationship, apart from just googling this afternoon to find out they've worked together, and she says he's charming and smart. I've worked with, and gone out for after-work-drinks in the company of, charming and very smart people who are pricks. That says nothing at all about me, as far as I can see

* the NYT's smear of the Slate Star Codex guy is a good recent example

Gah, sorry @ernesto I like Caitlin Moran and got a bit defensive :(
I can't find anything to disagree with there in principle, but making unfair snap judgements people based on their associations/"alignments" is really prevalent atm*. I dunno much about Caitlin Moran/Michael Gove's relationship, apart from just googling this afternoon to find out they've worked together, and she says he's charming and smart. I've worked with, and gone out for after-work-drinks in the company of, charming and very smart people who are pricks. That says nothing at all about me, as far as I can see

* the NYT's smear of the Slate Star Codex guy is a good recent example
What you define as 'snap decisions' is completely subjective.

You've made your own judgements on me my opinions as rashly as you seem to think I've made mine,

I have no doubt she is a talented writer but I don't see how you having read her books gives you a better understanding of her or somehow informs you more than it does me.

I've listened to numerous interviews and podcasts with the woman, and she comes across as charming and smart. but you know, so does Bertie Ahern. So pinches of salt etc

She said in a few interviews she is friends with Micky Gove.
that, I find repugnant. And I'm entitled to that opinion without being insulted.

I appreciate the apology but really you shouldn't be insulting users, regardless.

Is it just me or is there a general bit of grumpiness and agg going on the last couple of days? I've certainly been flustered and annoyed by stuff people have said here. And smashing into my keyboard has not made me feel better. But I don't think I'm the only one guilty of losing the run of oneself.

Don't know what my point is, let's all just chill out a bit.

David Baddiel is the worst kind of unfunny, smug, middle class prick.
a Paddy comedian wouldn't get away with doing this skit on British Jewish folks.
having said that I watched this the night it was first broadcast and was surprised how much
the Irish media got upset about it afterwards - not really worth making a fuss over.
Did he ever apologize or discuss these things? Baddiel and Skinner were 90s lad-humour personified and it has not dated well at all. He has spent the last two or three years doing the Corbyn is an anti-Semite and all "progressives" who support Corbyn are as well thing. Now i've seen plenty of Jewish folk push back on this but he has the full support of what you might call the columnist class. Assuming he's been doing it in good faith (and I think he is) how does he reconcile all this stuff in his head I wonder?

Last edited:
Is it just me or is there a general bit of grumpiness and agg going on the last couple of days? I've certainly been flustered and annoyed by stuff people have said here. And smashing into my keyboard has not made me feel better. But I don't think I'm the only one guilty of losing the run of oneself.

Dunno what yer on about guv'nor

Did he ever apologize or discuss these things? Baddiel and Skinner were 90s lad-humour personified and it has not dated well at all. He has spent the last two or three years doing the Corbyn is an anti-Semite and all "progressives" who support Corbyn are as well thing. Now i've seen plenty of Jewish folk push back on this but he has the full support of what you might call the columnist class. Assuming he's been doing it in good faith (and I think he is) how does he reconcile all this stuff in his head I wonder?
Fucking fair play to him for this though

and it took me like a second to find him apologizing over wearing blackface, so yeah.

I was wondering if I played it right, could i get @egg_ and @ernesto, two of the most peaceful creatures i have met on this green planet to fistfight (socially distanced of course). Stop crushing my dreams classic.

No it's a fair point. Without pointing any elbows *certain* siblings of mine have been fit to kill each other all week too. It's in the air, and we all have limited outlets for expression these days.

Mad isn't it. There is something in the air sometimes.

Maybe I've spent too much time zooming with herselfs' witchy pagan friends.

Obviously Egg would win a socially distant fight, because he has eggs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back