Has Dublin lost its edge? (1 Viewer)

Not really, it'd be at least €12,000 per annum to rent that place. If you could buy it out right it'd be the equivalent of 6 years rent. That's a bargain when you think about it.

According to my mate who claims to know about these things in a healthy property market you should pay no more than 15 times the rental yield of a property to buy it outright. So that place is a bargain.

Yeah but has Stoneybatter really gotten that far ? I haven't been there in a while but it seemed to have a lot of it's old "charm" still in tact when i was there last.

Its changing fast and once the Luas line opens I reckon it's fucked. Also DIT will open it's Grangegorman Campus in the next few years which has all the rents going up stupid amounts, like worse than the rest of the city.

It's actually cheaper for me now in Portobello over staying where I was in Stoneybatter.

Its changing fast and once the Luas line opens I reckon it's fucked. Also DIT will open it's Grangegorman Campus in the next few years which has all the rents going up stupid amounts, like wore than the rest of the city.
Thats always been Dublin's one real major problem. We have no sense of balance.

Shame really. I know folks here who are being pushed out of places like Brixton, they all have the same story. It was shit, then it gradually got better and now I can't afford it any more.

One of the most shameful aspects of gentrification has to be the exclusionist beliefs of the business owners. Ever been on one of those places at rush hour ?

Bus loads of young people commuting to the area to work in the coffee shops and bus loads of the same folks commuting out of the same neighbourhood to work in minimum wage jobs in warehouses and the likes. It's like there's some type of classist blnkers that people put on when they move to a new location.

Despite having a good software job and living parsimoniously for the past decade he steadfastly refused to even consider buying in Dublin during the boom. Unlike many of my other college friends he now isn't trapped in his starter home.

Are you talking about yourself in the third person?

I just moved to Stoneybatter and right now can barely afford the rent though I am delighted with where I'm living. The DIT just opened this last couple of weeks. Anyway, Stoney just seems normal to me, lots of locals, lots of immigrants especially Brazilians, lots of cheeky little pricks on bikes, auld wans going to the shops or to mass, pretty quiet in the evenings, bit too much litter, lots of designer beards, and there is a wanky looking bike shop at the end of my road.

With regard to renting in Dublin the biggest problem seems to be if you want to live in your own. Reasonably priced bedsits and one bedroom gaffs seem to be thin on the ground.

With regard to renting in Dublin the biggest problem seems to be if you want to live in your own. Reasonably priced bedsits and one bedroom gaffs seem to be thin on the ground.

I think they pretty much made bedsits illegal a few years ago. It was probably a way of helping to unnaturally boost the market for 1 bedroom apartments

hmmm

bonjovi.jpg

New Jersey had some fine bands

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back