Has Dublin lost its edge? (3 Viewers)

Thats the year I was born!

year_of_the_dragon_colouring_pages_av2.jpg

Both those articles are a pile of shit. "young" people haven't a fucking clue, why would anyone think they're at the vanguard or creativity? Why would anyone want that? It's the old cunts who are to blame, the ones who either made so much money they couldn't give a fuck or the ones who were burnt out by the indifference. But seriously. Young people? Start up? Artisan fucking coffee. Cock off, you fucking idiots.

I do think Dublin is going the way of London though, in that no one can afford to live in the city centre except the mega rich and otherwise it's just a tourist zone where visitors stay in rented apartments and marvel at old buildings.

its a long way to go before that in fairness - on the northside anyway.

Una Mullally sez 'nothing interesting has happened in the dublin club scene since I stopped running a club night'

If its "edgy" yer after....the midlands is where its at.

You'll feel plenty edgy walking down my street on a Friday night..and you'll also hear cutting edge music as you pass my gaf.

If its "edgy" yer after....the midlands is where its at.

You'll feel plenty edgy walking down my street on a Friday night..and you'll also hear cutting edge music as you pass my gaf.

In all my years living in (at times some fairly hairy) parts of dublin Ive never felt the air of menance you get at 1230 in a midlands town.

In all my years living in (at times some fairly hairy) parts of dublin Ive never felt the air of menance you get at 1230 in a midlands town.
I lived in the City centre for much of my life...and I can definitely concur with this statement.

I barely go outside after 11 at the weekends.

its a long way to go before that in fairness - on the northside anyway.

Una Mullally sez 'nothing interesting has happened in the dublin club scene since I stopped running a club night'

I wouldn't be so sure. Gentrification hasn't really happened to Dublin since Temple Bar turned into a tourist trap. By which I mean the areas of the south side that have artisan coffee shops now were always reasonably plush locations to begin with. If the money was there to gentrify anywhere, you'd definitely see it sweep through places like Phibsboro and north strand overnight.

Where I live is New Cross, it's got an art college in it, which is usually a good sign that the neighbourhood is dirt poor. It's five minutes walk from Millwall FC. As working class as it comes. In the last year it's suddenly got a lot of bullshit popping up all over it. We don't have a starbucks as yet so the second wave of gentrification (the really harmful one were the original small business's that predated the hipster places are gobbled up by corporate shit holes) hasn't really hit. It's a strange one to watch. You get places like this opening

The Job Centre bar's attempt to do gentrification ironically is an insult | Jane Elliott | Comment is free | theguardian.com

which on one hand is really none of The Guardians business and on the other hand the bar itself is an anathema to the locals not because of it's name (no one here gives a shit) but because it's Shoreditch style bar service (I.e unbelievably awful) in SE14.

Anyway what I'm saying is if and when the money starts to flow again the north side will be prime location for gentrification. At first you'll barely notice, then you'll think "this used to be a bit of a shit hole now look at it" and then that's it, that's when it's already over. That's when it's too late to turn back and you notice all those "est 1875" signs disappearing and being replaced with logos. If Dublin was anything like London then the north side would be about to become Shoreditch. Mark my words.

Property supplement in last Friday's Indo had a bit about Mountjoy Square being the place to be.

I wouldn't be so sure. Gentrification hasn't really happened to Dublin since Temple Bar turned into a tourist trap. By which I mean the areas of the south side that have artisan coffee shops now were always reasonably plush locations to begin with. If the money was there to gentrify anywhere, you'd definitely see it sweep through places like Phibsboro and north strand overnight.

Where I live is New Cross, it's got an art college in it, which is usually a good sign that the neighbourhood is dirt poor. It's five minutes walk from Millwall FC. As working class as it comes. In the last year it's suddenly got a lot of bullshit popping up all over it. We don't have a starbucks as yet so the second wave of gentrification (the really harmful one were the original small business's that predated the hipster places are gobbled up by corporate shit holes) hasn't really hit. It's a strange one to watch. You get places like this opening

The Job Centre bar's attempt to do gentrification ironically is an insult | Jane Elliott | Comment is free | theguardian.com

which on one hand is really none of The Guardians business and on the other hand the bar itself is an anathema to the locals not because of it's name (no one here gives a shit) but because it's Shoreditch style bar service (I.e unbelievably awful) in SE14.

Anyway what I'm saying is if and when the money starts to flow again the north side will be prime location for gentrification. At first you'll barely notice, then you'll think "this used to be a bit of a shit hole now look at it" and then that's it, that's when it's already over. That's when it's too late to turn back and you notice all those "est 1875" signs disappearing and being replaced with logos. If Dublin was anything like London then the north side would be about to become Shoreditch. Mark my words.

Stoneybatter seems to have gone pretty hipsterish what with the Lighthouse cinema and several byob venues in the area. Isn't that normally the first step towards gentrification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back