Has Dublin lost its edge? (1 Viewer)

Some great music has at least come out of New Jersey, most of them did have to go to NYC though.
They have Yo La Tengo, Bruce Springsteen and Frank Sinatra

We have My Bloody Valentine, The Dubliners and Thin Lizzy

They have Bon Fucking Jovi, My Chemical Romance and the fucking Vivian girls

We have U2, Boyzone and a million shite versions of the fucking Vivian Girls. Who were fucking shite to begin with.

Some great music has at least come out of New Jersey, most of them did have to go to NYC though.

hmmm

bonjovi.jpg

I'm not really sure because I'm in my 30s with kids and never get out but isn't there loads of after hours clubs running around dublin every weekend in whatever spaces they can find. There's even the breakfast club if you want to keep things going really late. And isn't there BYOB events advertised on thumped nearly every day of the week. Maybe the writer of the 2nd article is right. Maybe they just haven't invited Una. Because potentially she's probably a bit of a pain in the hole on a night out

...there's always plenty of interesting stuff going on under the radar in Dublin but looking for it under the rock that's labelled "culture" won't yield many results...
..."culture" is for yogurt and weekend supplements whereas the people creating it are most likely too immersed in what they're doing to fret about whether others will classify it as "edgy" or whatever...

Things started going shite here when they cancelled the weeknight Nitelinks, and then later cut back the weekend ones. I'd love to see a comparison of Dublin to other similarly sized cities internationally in terms of 24-hour public transport. I mean feck it, I was stuck at Connolly the other evening at 7pm - peak time! - for half an hour waiting for a northbound Dart that wasn't going non-stop to Howth Junction. That's just symptomatic of this place's deep-seated brokenness.

And in terms of culture: for sure licensing issues are a major burden. Why, for instance, are there no 24-hour movie marathons of the kind they used to run at the Scala in London and still do at the Prince Charles? Because they won't license them: that's what the Screen said a while ago, anyway.

ANYWAY, I'm with @washingcattle, what 'edge' did Dublin ever have, or want to have?

All I can see is Mullally missing her precious warehouse raves and vague reference to 'creatives' like she's making some presentation for a grant.

I do think Dublin is going the way of London though, in that no one can afford to live in the city centre except the mega rich and otherwise it's just a tourist zone where visitors stay in rented apartments and marvel at old buildings.

I've been in Toulouse it was a great time. Thinking about the size of London make's me not want to go there.
There is probably more than a 150 km difference in the distances tough.

Yeah I lived in London for a while, and I was kind of unhappy there. Just wasn't for me, too big and lonely and unconquerable.
Brighton was a much better size, easier to navigate and to make a nest in, though scarily homogeneous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back