Has Dublin lost its edge? (2 Viewers)

I tried the coffee once, was fine, it's in the vain of the Twisted Pepper or Brother Hubbards but not quite as good.
But by god what a fucking douchey place. It has no character whatsoever and there was some Ridge Racer soundtrack styled lite jazz playing.

I reckon give it another 3 years and a lot of those hip cafes around town will be gone. Are hipsters in it for the long game? I don't think so.

What is it that people miss about Stoneybatter that's actually gone?

Is an area not improved by new places to eat and drink?

Look what the Chinese (a great bunch of lads) have done on Parnell St and Capel St. Fucking transformed it.

My abiding memory of Stoneybatter in the 80s is it being highly fucking dodge with some scary pubs.

There's a bit of ring-a-ring-rosey about this conversation.

Look what the Chinese (a great bunch of lads) have done on Parnell St and Capel St. Fucking transformed it.

My abiding memory of Stoneybatter in the 80s is it being highly fucking dodge with some scary pubs.

As Shaney said, fuck the nice places to eat and drink. It's a community where people live, not a side show or a place to visit

In saying that I remember Smithfield being very sketchy but is turning everything into a sparkling consumer playground the solution ?

very true - parnell st has changed for the better since teh korean/chinese arrived

Instead of developing one area into THE PLACE TO BE share the wealth and make everywhere a better place to be

maybe

As Shaney said, fuck the nice places to at and drink. It's a community where people live, not a side show or a place to visit

But isn't that the way of the world? People move, things change.

The Irish and Polish and Vietnamese have transformed where I live. No one seems to complain very much. Well, they probably did at the time.

Hasn't the Cobblestone always been a tourist place?

Haven't people from all over Dublin come to Walsh's because it's a 'proper Dublin pub'? (well before they put that fancy new jacks in)

When I was a student in Bolton St we went up to the 'Batter all the time.

I don't see what's wrong with it.

Is Smithfield not still shite? I don't remember what it used to be like
It's a big over-designed plaza with a fancy supermarket selling fancy wares, an arthouse cinema, various 'spaces' for creativity

It's quite nice really; benches in the shape of abstract farm animals, and it's spectacular when they light the Empire of Mongo style lanterns. But completely terraforming a place is a bit extreme. How many people who hail from Smithfield have a season ticket for the Lighthouse cinema I wonder. Do they buy their shopping in that supermarket?. I don't mean to be all "we were poor but we were happy" but there's a bang of smug celtic tiger, design award winning , small house in Oxmantown Road owning elitism off it.

i've been to stoneybatter maybe 3 times. there was all kinds of community/social stuff going on. it seemed nice. lots of boomtime apt blocks and housing estates in the burbs dont have that vibe, they are literally sleeping units that could be anywhere. its hipster a bit but also very westy. lots of people from west of the shannon move there.

famous1.jpg

But isn't that the way of the world? People move, things change.

The Irish and Polish and Vietnamese have transformed where I live. No one seems to complain very much. Well, they probably did at the time.

Hasn't the Cobblestone always been a tourist place?

Haven't people from all over Dublin come to Walsh's because it's a 'proper Dublin pub'? (well before they put that fancy new jacks in)

When I was a student in Bolton St we went up to the 'Batter all the time.

I don't see what's wrong with it.

To a point. I just find it bizarre that an outside agency, Irish developers in this case, could ride into a village , change everything to suit their own needs and alienate the indigenous people. It can happen organically over generations but...fuck it...it's the way of the world I suppose.
Speaking from my experience as one of the middleclass blow-ins, our neighbour in Stoneybatter said we were the first people to have rented the house that ever spoke to them. I found that appalling, and said so over lattes in that cute little bistro that knows about, to Fiachra the solicitor and his partner Féile, the ceramic artist who knows the director of programming at TV3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back