Your work situation (4 Viewers)

sent an email yesterday in which i included the word 'ballache'
in a meeting this morning one of the german lads asked 'what is a bal-atchy?'
I work with a very nice lesbian lady and when we were working on a difficult project together she referred to it as a ball ache. I was thinking she could only have been referring to my balls; we being the only two working on it.

Which made me not catch any of the remaining things she said.

Something said on another thread brought back a memory which wasn't suitable for that thread.

It's a long one. And I'm talking here about the difference between *chippies, carpenters, wood butchers, hobbyists, or whatever else.

It was many years ago.

I was sent to a workshop to load a truck for some theater show. I think it was a European tour. So It was all worth millions of quid and was all very important.

So I had me, and a bunch of guys who I'd never met before, and had never done this before. Carrying shit onto a truck, how hard could it be? Very actually. Especially when you can't scruff or scratch any of the set, and yet still somehow still get it on the truck. But that wasn't the problem.

The guy in charge was a stressed guy, lets call him "Welshy".

So Welshy says to me specifically "I can see your guys are new, but they need to be super careful".
Me, managing up, I say "Yes of course mate. You know I know".

Then two of the new guys pick up the first piece of set and it literally just falls apart in their hands.
I look at this broken thing. Welshy looks at it. And I say "Welshy, you can see that's not my guys fault".
Welshy takes a deep breath and says, yeah, no, it's not your guys fault.

Then he stared at the floor for a second, picked up his impact driver, which is a lumpy thing, walks into the workshop and just fucking throws the thing across the workshop, without a care for where or upon whom it might land. YOU FUCKING BUNCH OF FUCKING STUPID CUNTS!! WHAT THE FUCK.

Meanwhile I'm outside with my guys, and they're asking me "have I done something wrong". No, not today. Trust me, this was someone elses fuckup, and tbh, it's a fuckup I've never seen happen before. But we still need to load this truck, and the more we stay out of the way the better.

Then the truck driver appears. She is, very unusually, an attractive young Spanish lady. "Is he upset with me, because I showed up early maybe?"
No, he is not upset with you
"But maybe do you think he is upset with me?"
Listen, I assure he's not upset with you. Now I have enough to deal with, just go sit in the cab and wait. You haven't done anything at all wrong. I'm sure. Don't worry.
"Oh, but. Are you sure?"
(laser eyes) Yes. I am sure. Please go sit in the cab.

So while that was happening, Welshy had had his rant off his chest and had come back to us. I just say dude you point, we lift. We'll get it done. And then I tried to make sure he didn't shout too much at my guys.

Then the *chippie who fucked up that bit of set earlier came out to apologise to Welshy. "We were in a hurry so I just put four pins in it".
Welshy says "Glue, four pins and at least one screw, you should know that".
"It won't happen again Welshy"
"Yeah.......I know it won't".

I never saw that chippie again.

Then a couple of the other chippies came out and had a chat with Welshy.
"Yeah Welshy mate, we understand you're under a lot of stress"
"Yeah, because I thought I had a workshop of chippies, but instead I have cunts like that cunt"
"Yeah I know Welshy, you gotta manage the whole workshop and you gotta keep an eye on seanc and his lads and look after everything, it's a lot. (THIS IS THE BIT) You're just supposed to be a chippie like the rest of us.

Again, Welshy looks at the floor for a second, then stares the guy out and says "I'm not a chippie, I'm a Master Carpenter. I'm better than you. Get back to work"

Welshy was and is a Master Carpenter, and was existing on another plain compared to the "chippies" he had to manage. I could see that. But a lot of the chippies who came and went didn't. And I am merely a wood butcher, at best a flat basher.

Last I heard, Welshy had a nervous breakdown. Haven't seen him in years. People with skills aren't necessarily good managers. Wasted talent. And Welshy really knew his shit.
And pushing people too hard just doesn't work.

Thanks for reading. Blame that damn guitar thread.

Last edited:
Yes. yes it was. Internal Affairs were setting him up all along.

What I didn't mention, and actually REALLY meant to, is that while I'm not skilled as such, I do think I'm pretty good at man management, and also while I'm not actually good at building stuff, I can if see it's right or if it's wrong, in a way that other people apparently don't. Our friend Welshy actually was a good man-manager as well, but his boss wasn't. And Welshy ended up in an impossible position.

Which is why I want johnnyRaz to come over here so I can whip him into shape. I'll shellac you gasún.

Before you ask, yes it was on purpose.

Last edited:
Our sales rep at one of our suppliers passed away a couple of weeks ago. We got a mail from his company announcing it at the time.

Nice guy, I'd been dealing with him for years. Only mid 50's very sad.

But I had to write an awkward e-mail to them just now.

"Hi, really sorry to hear about xxx, deepest condolences to his friends and colleagues etc.

So ... we want to buy some stuff from you, who do we talk to about that now?"

my wife has to take photos of her workspace at home to include with her application to be allowed work from home a couple of days a week. a few of her colleagues have gone to neighbours to pretend that the neighbour's workspace is their own. word has it that half the applications in one department all used the same set of photos.

my wife has to take photos of her workspace at home to include with her application to be allowed work from home a couple of days a week. a few of her colleagues have gone to neighbours to pretend that the neighbour's workspace is their own. word has it that half the applications in one department all used the same set of photos.
what's the criteria to be allowed to work from home?

i suspect it's to give managers an excuse to deny the application.
There’s a whole health and safety shenanigans that you’re supposed to have a laptop doc, wireless keyboard and mouse, chair with adjustable lumbar support, etc. All the things I don’t have in my actual office at work, it’s a nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back