why are there so many threads started by men on thumped about how shit women are? (1 Viewer)

New PostJANER
2nd May 2007 04:17 PM
thread_dot_hot.gif
why are there so many threads started by men on thumped about how shit women are?
.|..| (12,663 views, 640 replies)Lifestyle

I think the females who complain about the treatment of females are actually just struggling to make the birds and the bees a regular occurrence.

The Onion is a special feature on women this week. Is that acceptable satire? Serious question.

http://www.theonion.com

Obviously.

I don't think the onion is all that funny anymore, but in theory, of course satire is more than acceptable. But the Onion is written by people who are satirising sexists. On here, it's the feminists who are satirised and prodded and baited.

The jokes on Thumped are also generally made by people who are absolutely hostile to feminism and take the unbelievable and stupid position of "You're equal, so you have the right to shut the fuck up." So if it were satirising sexism, then the people who made the jokes wouldn't be so fucking hostile when it was pointed out that sexism still exists.

What happens on Thumped in relation to anything to do with gender equality, is pretty much the opposite to the Onion.

Looks to me like a healthy 50/50 split between satirising sexists & feminists.

Anyhoo, I wasn't trying to rekindle an argument that didn't need having in the first place, I was just curious. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Obviously.

I don't think the onion is all that funny anymore, but in theory, of course satire is more than acceptable. But the Onion is written by people who are satirising sexists. On here, it's the feminists who are satirised and prodded and baited.

The jokes on Thumped are also generally made by people who are absolutely hostile to feminism and take the unbelievable and stupid position of "You're equal, so you have the right to shut the fuck up." So if it were satirising sexism, then the people who made the jokes wouldn't be so fucking hostile when it was pointed out that sexism still exists.

What happens on Thumped in relation to anything to do with gender equality, is pretty much the opposite to the Onion.

Looks to me like a healthy 50/50 split between satirising sexists & feminists.

Anyhoo, I wasn't trying to rekindle an argument that didn't need having in the first place, I was just curious. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

On the onion? Yeah, they have a satirical article written by a woman who's meant to be a sort of 'lifestyle feminist', but I wouldn't necessarily regard it as picking on feminism, just on women who use it because it suits them and then abandon it after a year like it was just a fashion trend. It's probably a bit unfair, but it's not necessarily antifeminist because it's in a magazine where it is absolutely 100% clear at all times that it is satire.

It's not suggesting that there is no more sexism, as is often suggested here. There's nothing wrong with making fun of people, but the onion is satire and it's always clear that its' satire because it's a satirical publication, so the line is really clear. Not so on Thumped, where people think that because the line is unclear, it's the fault of the person who takes offence for not understanding all the levels of nuance in a post that was 'jokey'. The problem here is that people make 'jokey' sexist remarks and then get really pissed off at the notion that maybe their jokes aren't clever enough to be anything but, well, irritating at best, sometimes even offensive.

And there is a difference between satirising sexists, who think discrimination is okay and use their refusal to even think about gender issues as an argument that they couldn't possibly be sexist, and satirising feminists, who believe in equality.

I disagree with an awful lot of that but I'm done arguing on the internet. I'd rather buy ice cream and go for a bike ride with Dick Van Dyke.

On the onion? Yeah, they have a satirical article written by a woman who's meant to be a sort of 'lifestyle feminist', but I wouldn't necessarily regard it as picking on feminism, just on women who use it because it suits them and then abandon it after a year like it was just a fashion trend. It's probably a bit unfair, but it's not necessarily antifeminist because it's in a magazine where it is absolutely 100% clear at all times that it is satire.

It's not suggesting that there is no more sexism, as is often suggested here. There's nothing wrong with making fun of people, but the onion is satire and it's always clear that its' satire because it's a satirical publication, so the line is really clear. Not so on Thumped, where people think that because the line is unclear, it's the fault of the person who takes offence for not understanding all the levels of nuance in a post that was 'jokey'. The problem here is that people make 'jokey' sexist remarks and then get really pissed off at the notion that maybe their jokes aren't clever enough to be anything but, well, irritating at best, sometimes even offensive.

And there is a difference between satirising sexists, who think discrimination is okay and use their refusal to even think about gender issues as an argument that they couldn't possibly be sexist, and satirising feminists, who believe in equality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back